Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Evening all.:thumb:

I have been a member of the AA breakdown service for 10 years and never used them once for my car. Now that i have bought a MH would they come out and sort any problems out with her if i ever needed help. Realise they could not tow me but mean in the engine department and wheel changing??

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Evening all.:thumb:

I have been a member of the AA breakdown service for 10 years and never used them once for my car. Now that i have bought a MH would they come out and sort any problems out with her if i ever needed help. Realise they could not tow me but mean in the engine department and wheel changing??
As long as you inform them of your change of vehicle. But any decent breakdown should be capable of towing an average mh.....including the AA!

Personally i'd recommend you look elsewhere though as the AA isn't exactly much of a bargain!
Try here to get various quotes;

Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Many thanks Bullet,

On the case now.

Who do the rest of the MH'ers use or reccomend?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I have "free" AA cover through my Lloyds TSB account and it covers me for the car & the motorcycle. Now that I have bought the motorhome, I notice that there are exclusions to length, weight and width of the vehicle.
Limit for the length is 21 ft - my vehicle is 21 ft 8 inches:RollEyes:
Anyone experienced difficulties with AA recovery & their MH ?

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
AA cover came with our m/h which is 26 feet long. We did have to have recovery transportation at one time. When requested, I offered m/h details and was told, we don't need them, they are on the screen. Thirty minutes later, another controller contacted me and asked me to confirm the length of m/h. Length confirmed, response....Oh s_d we've11 sent the wrong pickup vehicle, you need a commercial recovery, we will contract it out!!!!:ROFLMAO:

An hour later, a heavy duty recovery truck arrived....and all was well.:Smile:

Yes, AA can handle larger units, but now the cover that came as a package with the purchase has expired, were back with RAC Arrival through the C&CC. no limits on size or weight!!!!

Nomadic

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Mark

In my five years of motorhoming, I have only had to call out breakdown services once and that was when I had a tyre blowout. As it turns out, it was the AA but that was just because that was who provided the cover through my insurance.

There was no way I was going to trust myself to jack up the motorhome and change a rear tyre. Even though I was in the highlands of Scotland, the recovery vehicle turned up within about forty minutes and the fact that I had called him out for such a relatively easy problem did not seem to bother the guy - in fact he agreed that it was probably the better way to do it rather than trust the supplied tools. Needless to say, he got a good tip:Smile:

Phil

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i recently took cover with the RAC Arrival scheme through the caravan and camping club. (camping and caravaning club ?)

<<RAC Arrival>>

cost me £36 to join the C+CC which you must be a member of.

£80 to join the Arrival scheme but thats for personal cover.....ANY vehicle your in, driver or passenger,(as long as it aint commercial) whether you own it or not.

no height, length, width or weight restrictions, unlike normal RAC cover.
includes trailers and toads.

roadside and recovery + double journey.......they take you to your pre-booked campsite and then recover you back home at the end of your hols. if you want !

limited to 5 call-outs per year but how many times do you breakdown ?

certainly hope i never need it but who knows....:thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
i recently took cover with the RAC Arrival scheme through the caravan and camping club. (camping and caravaning club ?)

<<RAC Arrival>>

cost me £36 to join the C+CC which you must be a member of.

£80 to join the Arrival scheme but thats for personal cover.....ANY vehicle your in, driver or passenger,(as long as it aint commercial) whether you own it or not.

no height, length, width or weight restrictions, unlike normal RAC cover.
includes trailers and toads.

roadside and recovery + double journey.......they take you to your pre-booked campsite and then recover you back home at the end of your hols. if you want !

limited to 5 call-outs per year but how many times do you breakdown ?

certainly hope i never need it but who knows....:thumb:

just used that very service to recover me home only going 2 nights so came home
trouble is the 2 j.russel type dogs can only travel in the motor home
couldnt evan give him a drink to change his mind lucky was only 25 miles
we can only travel in break down truck
service was prompt breadown report to being home about 2hrs 30 mins

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I get free AA European and UK cover with Safeguard.

I suppose rather than saying it is free I should say that it is included in the overall price.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just used that very service to recover me home only going 2 nights so came home
trouble is the 2 j.russel type dogs can only travel in the motor home
couldnt evan give him a drink to change his mind lucky was only 25 miles
we can only travel in break down truck
service was prompt breadown report to being home about 2hrs 30 mins

i used to do contract work for the RAC and while its difficult and upsetting for the dog owner to leave the dogs in the van its understandable from the drivers point of view.
he doesnt know the temprement of the dogs and cleaning the cab for the next "guests" can be a nightmare.
you may have a long time between jobs or the next may come in immediately and not enough time to clean the cab out.

and it is probably RAC policy.

john

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
i used to do contract work for the RAC and while its difficult and upsetting for the dog owner to leave the dogs in the van its understandable from the drivers point of view.
he doesnt know the temprement of the dogs and cleaning the cab for the next "guests" can be a nightmare.
you may have a long time between jobs or the next may come in immediately and not enough time to clean the cab out.

and it is probably RAC policy.

john
yep rac managment told me that when i tried for alternative firm
contract says no livestock in b/down truck
catch 22 situation
leave the van on the hook call a cab and be told dont take dogs
or best of bad lot
dogs probably went to sleep usually do::bigsmile:
when we got home they were still in their harnesses:thumb:

fella said the owner of the truck wont let his dog in it either
mind you mrs t did want to get a dustpan n brush out

Join us or log in to post a reply.