Escaping the Rat Race & Living The Dream? (1 Viewer)

V

vanessa

Deleted User
That's easy, because it's exactly what we have done!! We have escaped from the treadmill of the stressfull 9-5 in the UK, escaped from the crowds, escaped from the traffic jams. Those 3 things combined are, for me, the rat race.::bigsmile:

Living the dream? Chris and I dreamed of living this lifestyle for ages before it became a reality ... so yes, we're living our dream.::bigsmile:

It's a great life - really great!:Tongue:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's easy, because it's exactly what we have done!! We have escaped from the treadmill of the stressfull 9-5 in the UK, escaped from the crowds, escaped from the traffic jams. Those 3 things combined are, for me, the rat race.::bigsmile:

Living the dream? Chris and I dreamed of living this lifestyle for ages before it became a reality ... so yes, we're living our dream.::bigsmile:

Same for us, traffic, crowds, job treadmill, crap schools, taxes, neighbours, crime, how many more reasons do you need John ?
The dream, it came many years ago, the reality took a little longer.. wish we had done years ago..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

F

fordy

Deleted User

Hi Vanessa i see you are in the limousin this is the area that i am hoping to buy in looking at doing the self sufficiency bit getting a way from it all, i don't want to hijack this thread but i know that Ange would love to have a chat with you to pick your brains for some info on the area. maybe she can pm you :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006

Thats what we want Vanessa just not got the cash to do it yet
Rob

B

Baldrick

Deleted User
Same for us, traffic, crowds, job treadmill, crap schools, taxes, neighbours, crime, how many more reasons do you need John ?
The dream, it came many years ago, the reality took a little longer.. wish we had done years ago..

I don't mean to cause offence, but is working in a pub living the dream?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User

Maybe something to do with helping a friend in need Baldrick - why not PM Jim and ask him for the full story :RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

No offence taken, but you do sound cynical.

We took this job on to help out a friend who had to go into hospital for a quadruple heart by-pass, it wasn't planned and has lasted longer than we thought but it's our choice, we had been traveling Europe for 6 months so it suits us for the present, each year we plan to work somewhere for around 6 months, this could be anywhere doing anything, I gave up a secure well paid position with all the perks because I was tired of the rat race and the stress and to fulfill a lifelong ambition to travel.

Next spring we will head for France, Germany and Spain, then onto Morocco in Sept. for a tour with another 9 or 10 RVs, we may stay for several months.. and the next year .. well who knows it could be running a camp site or a bar in Casablanca :winky:

For us fulltiming is not retiring and going on holiday, it's a fundamental change of lifestyle... no disrespect to those who go to Spain or wherever for the winter and return to bricks and mortar each summer.. that's not fulltiming, thats long holidays.

Last edited:
B

Baldrick

Deleted User
Jim,

I didn't mean to come over as cynical, if I did then I do apologise, I just tought that there would be more to full-timing than being tied to a job for 18 hours a day.

Anyway, I wish you all the best for your future full timing activities, wherever they may be.

Mark:Smile:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
Hi Vanessa i see you are in the limousin this is the area that i am hoping to buy in looking at doing the self sufficiency bit getting a way from it all, i don't want to hijack this thread but i know that Ange would love to have a chat with you to pick your brains for some info on the area. maybe she can pm you :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

Sorry, Fordy - missed this posting for some reason! Yes, of course Ange can PM me, happy to chat about the place I adore!

V

vanessa

Deleted User
Jim,

I didn't mean to come over as cynical, if I did then I do apologise, I just tought that there would be more to full-timing than being tied to a job for 18 hours a day.

Anyway, I wish you all the best for your future full timing activities, wherever they may be.

Mark:Smile:

Mark, I think the difference is, the time-scale. If running a pub is all you can see for the next 20 or so years, I doubt if it's as appealing as if it's for 6 months (or whatever other limited term). Having said that, anything CAN be fun ... it depends on so many factors.

Being your own boss is a lot less stressful in many ways than working for someone else ... can be a lot more fulfilling too.:winky:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Jim
That would be a sight worth seeing you doing your Humphry Bogart immpresion
"Of all the bars in all the world you turn up in mine" film Cassablanca
:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim
That would be a sight worth seeing you doing your Humphry Bogart immpresion
"Of all the bars in all the world you turn up in mine" film Cassablanca
:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Wow.. how did you guess.. that's my favorite film .. can you believe it was watching that many years ago that gave me the urge to visit Morocco ..::bigsmile:

they have now built a replica Ric's Cafe' in Casablanca .. :winky:

Come to Casablanca and live the dream
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rickscafe.ma/images/about_us_01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rickscafe.ma/about.htm&h=234&w=311&sz=26&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=wN1EHsrBBv1L_M:&tbnh=88&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcasablanca%2Bbar%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back