Old Hall Hotel Caister (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Anyone thinking of going its now £15 per night, £10 refundable at bar or restaurant, and £15 Deposit on booking, Still a good deal.

Eric

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the heads up Eric. We are booked in for four nights following the Norfolk Show.
As you say, still good value.
Brisey.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks. Not surprised as when we were chatting with the manager, he said that too many people were simply taking the mickey and abusing the whole idea. Also why they dropped out of Britstops. Since we spend at least that in the bar/restaurant it is still good value

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
we have stopped there a few times last and this year, it's handy for Great Yarmouth, having a bus stop over the road. Yarmouth isn't the place it was, it seems to have gone down hill with many big shops closing down. Simpsons motorhome dealers aren't far way and are very good to deal with.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not surprised as when we were chatting with the manager, he said that too many people were simply taking the mickey and abusing the whole idea. Also why they dropped out of Britstops.

It's people like this that spoil it for others.. nothing but short sighted freeloaders.. makes me angry .. :mad:

Britstops says there is 'no obligation' to buy.. but it is certainly expected and just a common courtesy to repay your host by giving something in return for his hospitality.

I managed a pub in Kent , and we would get ramblers using the car park all day.. on return, many never came near the bar.. some even had the nerve to use the picknick tables and eat their own sandwiches. These are FREELOADERS .. so the same applies to a motorhomer who expects to use pub facilities and not pay.. :mad:

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It's people like this that spoil it for others.. nothing but short sighted freeloaders.. makes me angry .. :mad:

Britstops says there is 'no obligation' to buy.. but it is certainly expected and just a common courtesy to repay your host buy giving something in return for his hospitality.

I managed a pub in Kent , and we would get ramblers using the car park all day.. on return, many never came near the bar.. some even had the nerve to use the picknick tables and eat their own sandwiches. These are FREELOADERS .. so the same applies to a motorhomer who expects to use pub facilities and not pay.. :mad:
Totally agree with that, Jim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

Britstops says there is 'no obligation' to buy.. but it is certainly expected and just a common courtesy to repay your host by giving something in return for his hospitality.

Yeah, I can see that.

But on the other hand, I have all my Britstops showing on SatNav and will often call in to "suss them out", even though I don't intend staying. So they get a bit extra custom and should take it as "quid pro quo" - Gordon

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yeah, I can see that.

But on the other hand, I have all my Britstops showing on SatNav and will often call in to "suss them out", even though I don't intend staying. So they get a bit extra custom and should take it as "quid pro quo" - Gordon

sorry, don't quite follow..

if you are just sussing them out, you are not staying, so why would you be obliged to buy anything ?

are you saying it's ok to stay and buy nothing if the pub is busy with sussers ?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Jim, been using "Brit Stops" off and on for 3 years now and never once eaten in any of them, but I/we do have a drink or 3 each night. Why would I eat out when I have everything I need to cook in the MH. I do feel sorry for landlords hearing that some MHer's park up around 10am go out all day come back late and do not come into the bar and drive off in the morning, but as one landlord stated "out of 10 MH only 1 would not buy something so worth it". A few places we have stayed in the last 2 months have stated "stay for a few days"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, been using "Brit Stops" off and on for 3 years now and never once eaten in any of them, but I/we do have a drink or 3 each night. Why would I eat out when I have everything I need to cook in the MH. I do feel sorry for landlords hearing that some MHer's park up around 10am go out all day come back late and do not come into the bar and drive off in the morning, but as one landlord stated "out of 10 MH only 1 would not buy something so worth it". A few places we have stayed in the last 2 months have stated "stay for a few days"

where did I say you had to eat ?????

I said " to repay your host by giving something in return for his hospitality."

anyone who stays and doesn't give something in return is a freeloader.

If I were managing a pub and had freeloaders, I would also pull out of Britstops

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
where did I say you had to eat ?????

I said " to repay your host by giving something in return for his hospitality."

anyone who stays and doesn't give something in return is a freeloader
Don't no how to put this without it sounding derogatory, but Jim in other threads you state that you don't eat out and don't drink, so do you mean you actually pay to stay on these pub britstops.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Jim, take a "chill pill" I was not getting at you or your post ONLY telling you WHAT we do and what we have been told. I DID NOT say I disagree with you.............................

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't no how to put this without it sounding derogatory, but Jim in other threads you state that you don't eat out and don't drink, so do you mean you actually pay to stay on these pub britstops.

well..it certainly sounds derogatory to me.. what is your point ?

you can buy many things at Britstops.. other than booze.. :rolleyes:

coffee, soft drinks, farm food, etc .. and not all are pubs..

but what I buy or don't buy at a Britstop has absolutely nothing to do with YOU and has no pertinence to the thread..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

but what I buy or don't buy at a Britstop has absolutely nothing to do with YOU and has no pertinence to the thread..
See I knew you would take it the wrong way, but you say you repay them , all I was asking is do you actually give them something for letting you stay.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We did visit OBroken Link Removed this year and great place to stop over. Guess it's off the list "places to return too" none the less wish the landlord all the luck in the world.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

This is my problem with britstops , all though you are not obliged to go in , I could never stay and not buy something but I would be more than happy to pay say a tenner, rather than go in and maybe spend £50 on meals and drinks that I could manage without.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have stayed at old hall and even if it was 15 a night its great value
as for britstops since joining this year i reckon i have stayed at at least 6 they are ok but the prices i found for meals and drinks in some of those pubs is daylight robbery
however so long as you go and have just a pint then its good value

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the heads up Eric. We are booked in for four nights following the Norfolk Show.
As you say, still good value.
Brisey.

See you there. We are booked in fron Sunday night for a couple of days.
They are fully booked from Monday to Wednesday

Deleted User
Stayed last year as part of Nightstop scheme, it was £5, brilliant value, they even let you use leisure facilities, which I believe includes a gym, pool and sauna, didn't get chance to try them, but did have drinks in bar and a meal in the evening which was very nice, so the extra £10, we would easily spend if/ when returning. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i have stayed at old hall and even if it was 15 a night its great value
as for britstops since joining this year i reckon i have stayed at at least 6 they are ok but the prices i found for meals and drinks in some of those pubs is daylight robbery
however so long as you go and have just a pint then its good value
That's what did it for us , britstops great idea but if you use the facility's it can cost a fortune, I would imagine it's almost a non goer if you have kids in tow, we joined the second year it was going and used it quite a bit but you could reckon on it costing £50 for the two of us when we could have quite easily managed with some cheese on toast and a couple of quid bottle of wine , in the van, so I think this old hall thing(which we used in the book) is a good idea where you don't feel obliged to go in if you have already paid to be there(y)

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Old Hall is a dreadful place, please stay away......last time we called to book we could not get on it was so booked up. We missed out on the gorgeous breakfast followed by a nice swim, sauna and spa so please go elsewhere and pay £25 a night to park in a field of grass :)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
As I've mentioned previously we have stopped here a few times. The last time we was there the owner had rearranged the parking due to the previous layout being a fire hazard. We had to park higher up the car park and run a long lead down to the electric point. Another thing to take into consideration is that the parking area is on tarmac so unless your levellers have got a good grip they will shoot from under your wheels. To avoid this carry a small piece of old rubber inner tube and place it under the leveller, it'll then stop it from slipping out. Another point is the location, its on a busy road junction with constant traffic noise plus a super market on the other side of the road which receives deliveries throughout the night. Wax earplugs from Boots are must if you are a light sleeper. Apart from that the hospitality is first class.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
As I've mentioned previously we have stopped here a few times. Another point is the location, its on a busy road junction with constant traffic noise plus a super market on the other side of the road which receives deliveries throughout the night. Wax earplugs from Boots are must if you are a light sleeper. Apart from that the hospitality is first class.
(y) thanks for the heads up (y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We stayed there earlier in the year and one of my main gripes about it would be the mothers doing the school run parking so close you can hardly open the van door, and all the cars running over the hook up lead that you have to trail all over the car park to connect.

Yes it is a little noisy with the traffic lights and Lidl next door. But the spa is lovely and the evening meals were acceptable too not too expensive. We didn't try the breakfasts.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
sorry, don't quite follow..

if you are just sussing them out, you are not staying, so why would you be obliged to buy anything ?

are you saying it's ok to stay and buy nothing if the pub is busy with sussers ?

As you've withdrawn from this thread, Jim, you may not see this.

HOWEVER: I'm not "obliged" to buy anything - I just do. Perhaps I have a coffee or a cake and visit the toilet (is that freeloading?) as quite often I am in the car rather than the van. I need to carry out these activities somewhere, so deliberately drive to a Britstops venue, even if it means a little detour, rather than using a service station (is stopping at a service station and using their toilets without buying anything acceptable??) or a random cafe/pub. IF I like the look of them (and often I don't), I mark it down as it will be useful for an overnight stay later. I also mention that I'm a Britstop user to the proprietor.

[HOW would I know if a pub was busy with sussers?]

The Britstops guide asks you to look at what the host has on sale: it is not a requirement to buy anything. I have only failed to buy something once, because we arrived just as it was closing and left several hours before it opened. I did go to one host who told me I couldn't stay the night, but that if I came again I couldn't use my own facilities for eating and drinking. They only stayed in the scheme for one year. It takes all sorts! - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back