Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
The B534 I am looking at has the step missing - what are we taking about price-wise for a replacement? Just looking for ball park to put me in a good negotiating position

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
is it something you would fit yourself or would you 'get it done', if the latter best bet might be to call your local dealer / service centre for a quote :)

Broken Link Removed

this is more or less as fitted to our Hymer

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ball park to replace by dealer would be £500 .. maybe more, depending on work needing done to reinstate the electrics..

as suggested, best to ask a dealer..

makes me wonder why it was removed and never replaced..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A bit missing?

Already I would start wondering...

JJ :cool:

ours broke while away, luckily stuck in not out, we bought a £30 caravan step and kept it in the garage, ours now mended but we still carry the other step and will usually use it when on longer stays, I prefer the 'larger' landing area (it is quite likely my barely controlled mass leaving the MH actually broke the first :D)

it may not be too serious an issue that it is not there, just that he didn't have £500 to mend it (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You hit the nail on the head there Mr DavidG58...

"Ours now mended..."

If the motorhome you are considering buying is old, the way it has been looked after is very important.

If the step is missing and hasn't been replaced, even though the vehicle is for sale, then I start wondering...

JJ :cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the step is missing and hasn't been replaced, even though the vehicle is for sale, then I start wondering...

that's exactly my thoughts.. either he can't be arsed or doesn't have the cash to keep it in good condition.. neither are good indicators of a well cared for van

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Point taken and thanks.

The seller bought the van not long ago, did a few trips with kids and husband but he did not take to it at all so she is selling. Heard the story 3 different ways and to 3 different people and either it's up-front or she will be at the best Oscar ceremony!!! The step was missing when she bought it - did not know it should have one! The wires etc. are very tidily cable-tied away and no damage in that area

A Mercedes forum buddy was kind enough to pop along and take a look (he is a tugger but also looks after his own mechanical) I asked for a quick look - he was there almost 2 hours and sent me a 6 page report plus pics of any perceived issues!!!! He opened every single cupboard, poked in every compartment, looked at the engine and crawled underneath. Had a full service with new cam belt and tensioner in March this year. There are a few cosmetics - catch missing in bathroom, damaged door hinge (which she has on order), small dint in door, door retaining clip, one mismatched small panel in a corner and the only bigger items seem to be the step, two exhaust rubbers need replacing and the leisure battery cables need replacing. His comments (and he says he is very picky):

"Personally, I doubt you would find a better one for the age, or even many years less. Prices of them I know nothing. If it was a car, and ranged from knackered to mint, I would place it much nearer the mint, and with minimal detailing would be like brand new"
"It has obviously cared for I would suggest"
"I have no idea of the values of these vans, but doubt you would find one this good at 10 years old, let alone 20"
"I would be happy to set off to europe tommorow in it. I doubt it needs much spending to be, to be honest, restored to good as new"

1994 with 84K miles. Fingers crossed for £11K'ish - opinions please. Even has a HYM number plate!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
is this the one in Worthing.....