Water Pump Noise (1 Viewer)

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We have a new Elddis. When switched on, the water pump makes a wee grumbling noise every 30 seconds or so. Just want to confirm that it's normal for it to do that? Thanks.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I don't think so! Assuming that you've run water through the system (hot & cold) to expel any air then it sounds like you're losing pressure somewhere. Chat to the dealer.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
check there are no drips at the taps, not forgetting the shower mixer..also feel along the water pipes for any sign of wet, particularly under the sink and where the pump is mounted..

all it takes is a few drips for the pressure to drop sufficiently for the pump to kick in..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Just had a look at the pump. There's a clear plastic bit with what looks like a filter of some kind in it. There appears to be a lot of dirt in there which doesn't look right. I'll get in touch with the dealer. Thanks for the advice folks, this is my first stop for questions.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just had a look at the pump. There's a clear plastic bit with what looks like a filter of some kind in it. There appears to be a lot of dirt in there which doesn't look right. I'll get in touch with the dealer. Thanks for the advice folks, this is my first stop for questions.

that is the filter.. the clear bit unscrews and you can wash it out .. you must have picked up some dirty water.. drain the tank, flush and refill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I'll give it a bash, thanks for that.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Personally we turn the pump off when not in use and open a tap to relieve pressure then close it again no wet suppress then after a long stint of travel.can you turn your off ?:)

Upvote 0

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We have a new Elddis. When switched on, the water pump makes a wee grumbling noise every 30 seconds or so. Just want to confirm that it's normal for it to do that? Thanks.

Mine does exactly the same. To be honest I just switch the pump off until needed.

Brian

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello if yours is a new van the stuff in the pump filter is more than likely to be plastic turnings from when the tank fittings were put in ie.swarf.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
just fixed something like this on ours, changed out the pump valve and all sorted = £15
simple DIY job

Upvote 0

Huckleberry

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
C lass
Exp
15 years
I have the same problem a 2015 Adria Coral fitted with a Whale Pressure switch. I have taken it back to the dealer twice, first time the pressure switch was replaced, I am not sure what they did on the second visit as I had some other snagging jobs done at the same time. Whatever they did has not worked and I wil be contacting them again. I will be watching this thread with great interest!
Rodger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Hello if yours is a new van the stuff in the pump filter is more than likely to be plastic turnings from when the tank fittings were put in ie.swarf.

I think you're right, there are other bitslike that on the floor around the pump.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Personally we turn the pump off when not in use and open a tap to relieve pressure then close it again no wet suppress then after a long stint of travel.can you turn your off ?:)
Yip, we've been switching off the pump when not needed. I just wondered if it was a big problem, heading of yo Europe end of August for a year so want to get everything sorted before then. Going to clean out the valve and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's done it from new it's probably the pumps pressure switch.
The actual pressure can't be changed but the point the switch kicks in and turns off the pump can be altered.

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I take it the water tank has enough water in it, because many times it happens when the pump is starved of water, either by lack of water or muck in the line, also air in the system which can be cleared by ensuring the taps are running smoothly.
Etap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I take it the water tank has enough water in it, because many times it happens when the pump is starved of water, either by lack of water or muck in the line, also air in the system which can be cleared by ensuring the taps are running smoothly.
Etap
Yes, plenty water in the tank and taps running smoothly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Pump finally packed up last week, luckily it was already booked in yo the dealer - new pump installed and all appears well, apparently a fairly common problem with the whale pump. Thanks for all the advice folks. That's us ready to head to Europe on Monday for a year.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back