Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newie but caravaned 30 years
wondered what experiance members have had with the Britstops book or Wildcamping membership have had. It must be useful to have knowledge of places to stop overnight when touring. Thanks for any replies. Trev

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There's a BritStops Group here on FUN with some reviews from Funsters (y)

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Britstops.. excellent.. (y)

Wildcamping.. only in remote places in Scotland that I find myself and won't share.. otherwise they become overrun and spoiled.

IMO .. the WC Forum isn't worth the twenty quid subs each year... for a POI list of places others use.. no thanks

each to their own ..

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have used quite a few Britstops locations and so far they have all been ideal for us. As CWH says, have a look on the Britstops group pages and you will find a growing number of reviews.

Paul

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
BritStops for us :)

Only had one poor experience and Steve sorted that out. All other stops have been great and we have saved our membership many times over.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Since We starting using "Brit Stops" we no longer "wild camp" worth every penny. Feel safer in a pub / farm shop car park ( sometimes locked over night ) some with security lights on all night etc etc and some places state "you can stay for another night if you like" We don't eat in any of the places we stay, but we do have a drink or two in return for the security. Recommended.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We use both.

Wildcamping forum is good but you do have to check the dates on the postings because situation changes. for example Barmouth has put up new 'no overnight motorhome/caravan parking signs everywhere.

We like britstops as it has a nice mix of places and some have been very good. dont like all the updates so that you end up carrying a book and a big file of paper. Would be much better on line IMHO

Jon

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A friend has the wildcamping pois. I have been to a few of the wildcamping stops and they were rubbish. Only enough room to fit a small campervan in.

Theres some wildcamping places to look ar here on Fun.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Irnbru.
I agree cramped rubbish. Don't use them....please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 49
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We use both, I do think like anything you'll have your good and bad but with wild camping up here in Scotland you can just find your own quite spots and pull up for the night ;)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We use both.

Wildcamping forum is good but you do have to check the dates on the postings because situation changes. for example Barmouth has put up new 'no overnight motorhome/caravan parking signs everywhere.

We like britstops as it has a nice mix of places and some have been very good. dont like all the updates so that you end up carrying a book and a big file of paper. Would be much better on line IMHO

Jon

We joined wildcamping last year and have used them loads of time, i always check to see what the places are like before i arrive using streetview. they have certainly helped us out. I also just joined Britstops this year and used them for the first time this weekend in the New Forest. Stopped at a local pub, the owners were very accommodating and friendly. Good access to walks and wildlife, would definitely use again.

We will probably use Britstops over wildcamping as this suits us better, the pain is indeed the updates they send out which are on pdf format, this can be a pain as you need to update the book with the ones that go and then take the pdfs for the new ones. This would be so much better if they put this securely online.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have been BritStopping for a couple of years now, worth every penny. We've found some real gems to stop at :D

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with Jim that the wildcamping isn't worth the subs! Joined for a year but only tried a couple of places, neither of which were any good to us as too small, certainly only big enough for a small campervan.

Also used Britstops for a year but had 2 bad experiences so stopped using. Having said that we'll have another go with it next year once Joe retires and we're away from the Kent area which we're currently limited to for weekends and there aren't many entries for Kent.

Denise

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I certainly will, but I'll do it later, I don't have the book to hand at present :D

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I certainly will, but I'll do it later, I don't have the book to hand at present :D

Excellent thanks, i only have 1 to share which is 106 in the new forest, nothing special but quiet and access to all the walks/cycle tracks just from the back of the pub. We decided to have a meal in the evening (not required as part of the stay of course). Food was pretty good, seemed very popular but then it was a nice sunny weekend. To be honest it doesnt look much from the outside but it was all we needed and we would use again. I will take the bikes with us next time as the walking for 3 hours nearly killed me :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've recently paid the subs to get the wildcamping poi and headed off for one of our favourite parts of the country with a few of them earmarked for a look.. we were very dissapointed. One was a truck stop we could have found on our own, the other was a layby which again, we would have found from Google maps. In searching for these I found at least six that on Google earth had no overnight parking signs up..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it does not matter how many lists and books you have, when it comes to wild parking your eye will find you the spot that is right for you when you reach the time of day that you wish to stop. Never failed to find a spot within 30 mins of starting to look out.

Reactions: CWH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back