Squeaky Ducato - Wheel Bearings? (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My MH is based on the very last of the X244 Ducato Maxi Chassis/Cab. I have a squealing/squeaking noise that is getting steadily worse, although it is only intermittent, coming from I think the offside front wheel.

I don't think it's the brakes - yes, they're a common source of squeals I know, but putting the brakes on doesn't seem to affect the sound - and after a long trip all the wheels are at roughly the same temperature so I don't think it's a seized caliper.

However steering, even if only very slightly, does affect it and makes the squeak come and go.

Front wheel bearings I know are a common Ducato problem and I'm wondering if it could be these - has anyone had them squeaking rather than the usual rumbling noise that a failing wheel bearing makes?

Jacking the front end up reveals that the wheel spins freely with no apparent noise and no apparent play in the bearings. It's not a suspension bush squeaking, the noise comes and goes with speed rather than lumps and bumps in the road.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont know if ducato pads have spring steel squealer tags but if so then applying the brakes wont stop them squealing but slight flexing of the discs/hubs on the bearings under cornering would.

Manual/visual inspection of the pad thickness would be worth a shot.

Unless a bearing has seized solid it wont squeal...it will rumble.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It's more than likely..................... a sticking caliper ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It's more than likely..................... a sticking caliper ......

Yes, I had a sticking piston in a caliper which caused a squeeking noise. Freed off the piston and no more noise. I subsequently replaced both calipers. If a caliper is sticking you can expect the disk and grease cap to be abnormally hot. I would recommend popping the vehicle along to a friendly MOT garage and having the brakes tested on the rollers.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you have the facilities (good axle stands) jack up the MH then position the axle stands under the suspension uprights. Lower the jack so the MH is resting on its suspension. Then drive the wheels with the engine. You may be able to replicate the noise & with a helper also have a chance of discovering the source.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
after a long trip all the wheels are at roughly the same temperature so I don't think it's a seized caliper.

Yes, I had a sticking piston in a caliper which caused a squeeking noise. Freed off the piston and no more noise. I subsequently replaced both calipers. If a caliper is sticking you can expect the disk and grease cap to be abnormally hot. I would recommend popping the vehicle along to a friendly MOT garage and having the brakes tested on the rollers.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you have the Summer edition of the 3MMM's on page 188 onwards Nick Fisher has given some sound advice about all the Models of Fiat Chassis and problems that might arise during ownership. Nick is a highly respected contributor to this magazine. One area covers wheel bearings.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have this problem quite a lot in my Astra. The noise will start, braking doesn't affect the volume of the squeak but turning the wheel one way does. In my case it is always the brake pads not fully retracting, and is fixed by replacing the pads and cleaning up the calliper.
Is sounds so similar, that I would get the brakes checked first.

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
I've changed the front nearside wheel bearing on my X244 and the rumbling (sound and "feeling"on the steering) is quite distinct, and if you jack up your van on the suspected side, and spin the wheel by hand, I think you'll find it obvious if it's that. As others have said, caliper is more likely.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everyone.

Given that it's a 9 year old van that's only done 23,000 miles, it's quite possible that it's on it's original pads and the calipers have never been disturbed since it left the factory. I had to have the back brakes stripped and re-built last year due to problems with them sticking. The brakes shall be my first port of call then.......

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When my Ducato's front wheel bearing started to fail within warranty in the middle of a European trip the wheel nuts gradually worked loose and needed re-tightening at regular intervals until I could get it fixed back in the UK. Might be worth checking your nuts to see if anything's wrong. If not, it helps narrow down the possible causes.

supabrigg

Free Member
Oct 10, 2010
north notts
Funster No
MH
hobby 750
Exp
5 years
Hi there just had same thing happen to me, see thread( slightly fed up) in chat, squeaking noise on and off for few miles pulled over then crunching noise.rac said new bearing gone and I m waiting for garage to get back to me re cause etc. Hope you get it sorted before you go anywhere as we had to stop Europe trip and come home. cheers mick ps sorry meant to say mine is a fiat ducato 2001

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Well, back from the garage, slightly sticky front calipers and a wheel bearing that was starting to go was the diagnosis. I hadn't noticed the rumbling bearing, but it's certainly quieter to drive now so it was clearly going. Odd thing is that on jacking the van up the wheel span freely, with no play or noise evident.

When the garage moved the van they thought one of the back brakes was squeaking, which they checked and adjusted. However, when I came to pick it up, I backed the van out of their yard and then pulled it straight back in again - handbrake not releasing properly. So the mechanic came out in the van for a drive with me, and of course the handbrake behaved itself perfectly............

It continued to behave itself just fine until half a mile from home, when a sharp "crack" was heard from the back end as I slowed for a junction, the rear brakes had obviously partially engaged and were now dragging. So the garage are coming out to collect the van in the morning!

The rear brakes on the "Maxi 18" chassis do appear to be unnecessarily complicated.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Could also be a small stone trapped on the brake mechanism, had it happen in one of my Sunbeams.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I've noticed a squeaky chirping noise from I think front driver side wheel the last few days driving around france , it past mot week before we left home . It comes and goes I thought maybe stone in tread making noise but no, hope it's ok till I get home to have garage check it out.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Could also be a small stone trapped on the brake mechanism, had it happen in one of my Sunbeams.

Yes, I've had that happen a few times on cars, where a stone gets lodged between the disc guard and the brake disc. Makes a horrendous noise! Reversing often makes the stone pop out though.

Not that in this case, the squeal is sorted now. Now I just need to get the garage to correct whatever they've done wrong to my back brakes!

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Full marks to the garage, they picked my MH up from my house on Friday morning, dropped it back on Friday night with profuse apologies saying that they had misadjusted the handbrake on one side, now sorted and that they had stripped and cleaned both back brakes.

Whilst it's frustrating when it happens, to my mind the mark of a good trader is how they react when there is a problem. After all, the only person who never makes a mistake is the person who never does anything!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back