Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
  • SUNDAY 19 JULY 2015 (the independant)

• SUNDAY 19 JULY 2015
  • The Metropolitan Police is examining allegations that serving officers used a closed group on the social network to post racist comments about Gypsies and Travellers. Both groups are officially recognised as ethnic minorities, and discriminating against them is illegal.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Whoops sorry it's in the wrong forum!
Should be in u shaped lounge, but don't know how to move it

Apologise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
It makes me wonder that if travellers and gypsies have rights as a recognised ehnic group, that scarbourough council are not infringing human rights and persecuting a recognised group ie us "travellers", with there no overnight parking rules.
Just a thought
Andy.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The Metropolitan Police is examining allegations that serving officers used a closed group on the social network to post racist comments about Gypsies and Travellers.
So what? Closed is closed. Cabinet meetings, trials under the Official Secrets Act, personal conversations, information you give to your doctor, are all 'closed'. Do we truly feel the need in this country to stifle private conversation, as we have done with the freedom to speak openly? Pah. :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Am I missing something.. So the police are institutionally racist? What's new....

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So what? Closed is closed. Cabinet meetings, trials under the Official Secrets Act, personal conversations, information you give to your doctor, are all 'closed'. Do we truly feel the need in this country to stifle private conversation, as we have done with the freedom to speak openly? Pah. :(
I think that the difference is between stating facts (xyz group trashed abc carpark by leaving rubbish after they camped illegally there) and broad sweeping statements (shoot the lot of the thieving swine). The second statement is not acceptable and it is this sort of thing that we all must steer clear of. The internet is a very public place - there is a difference between "closed" and "confidential"

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Am I missing something.. So the police are institionally racist? What's new....
"Institutional racism is any system of inequality based on race".

But if those classed as 'unequal' are British, how does this work? o_O

Reactions: Sue

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ah...I see. I think some need to disengage from their prejudices. They would be far nicer and happier....

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think that the difference is between stating facts (xyz group trashed abc carpark by leaving rubbish after they camped illegally there) and broad sweeping statements (shoot the lot of the thieving swine). The second statement is not acceptable and it is this sort of thing that we all must steer clear of. The internet is a very public place - there is a difference between "closed" and "confidential"
To be frank, David, it matters? Example:
"The Taliban advanced last night, and killed four soldiers and sixteen civilians. They should be punished"
"The Taliban killed twenty people last night, shoot the murdering swine." (y)

Totally acceptable. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Here is the link....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ed-of-using-secret-racist-Facebook-group.html

This was a "secret" Facebook page so somebody in the group must have sent transcripts or similar outside the group, or a group member blew the whistle on them (more likely) - either way, unjustified derogatory comments, even about Welsh rugby* are not acceptable.

*Stretching a point........

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ah...I see. I think some need to disengage from their prejudices. They would be far nicer and happier....
Ah.......I see. I think that some need to answer the question, which they cant, and so they fall back on personal insults. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
To be frank, David, it matters? Example:
"The Taliban advanced last night, and killed four soldiers and sixteen civilians. They should be punished"
"The Taliban killed twenty people last night, shoot the murdering swine." (y)

Totally acceptable. :)
Fact is fact - the above example comments on a fact.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
either way, unjustified derogatory comments, even about Welsh rugby* are not acceptable.
Well, maybe you should be preaching to a few on here then David. Can you clarify 'unjustified' in the context of this thread? o_O

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Gypsies and Travellers. Both groups are officially recognised as ethnic minorities, and discriminating against them is illegal.
Fine, this may be true but does this give them the rights to camp illegally on public and private property? Cause havoc to the local residents? Damage and destroy public and private property? Leave a mess for taxpayers(which they are not) to clean up?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well, maybe you should be preaching to a few on here then David. Can you clarify 'unjustified' in the context of this thread? o_O
Not going to preach to anyone. I try to stick to the facts when making comment; what everyone else does is up to them and possibly their defence team.......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And you are on a fishing expedition me old son. Just calm down
Perfectly calm. (y) And certainly not fishing. :( I'm just searching for an explanation to your previous comment as regards the police. To reiterate, how can a group of people be "institutionally racist" against their own race? This puzzles me. o_O

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I try to stick to the facts when making comment
'Facts' you have quoted from a two-bit rag newspaper periodical? o_O That's certainly not like you! However, if you had stated that you were part of this alleged closed group, and had written evidence on supposed racism by a group of policemen against their own race, well, that would be a 'fact', or series of 'facts'. (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
'Facts' you have quoted from a two-bit rag newspaper periodical? o_O That's certainly not like you! However, if you had stated that you were part of this alleged closed group, and had written evidence on supposed racism by a group of policemen against their own race, well, that would be a 'fact', or series of 'facts'. (y)
Well, it was written in a newspaper with a decent reputation for finding good verifiable stories, not least of which was the parliamentary expenses scandal. If it is good enough to pass their libel lawyers then it is good enough for me. It has also been reported in the Guardian, Independent, ITV news and Sky news. I would call the report of the investigation fact not supposition as it is in writing clear for all to see in print

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well, it was written in a newspaper with a decent reputation for finding good verifiable stories, not least of which was the parliamentary expenses scandal. If it is good enough to pass their libel lawyers then it is good enough for me. It has also been reported in the Guardian, Independent, ITV news and Sky news. I would call the report of the investigation fact not supposition as it is in writing clear for all to see in print
It says PERSIL on the sides of buses, David, but they don't take in washing...(y)

Here's a few real facts concerning this story.
Fact 1. No proof about this alleged 'closed' site has been stated.
Fact 2. No person has been named.
Of course the news media can say what they have said with legal impunity, they haven't named their sources, nor printed/reported any facts! :) It's all supposition, in the hope of rallying the disaffected PC Brigade into another boiler steaming, placard waving, bulging eyed response, whilst at the same time slagging off and degrading a police force. (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It does seem to be a bit of a non-story, far below what I would normally expect of the Telegraph.

It's very vague, very light on detail. Mentions of a "secret Facebook Group" but no more detail than that - if someone has provided details of what was posted in the group surely they also provided more details about it. No quotes of these alleged posts, which I would also expect the "whistleblower" to have provided. No details of the people involved beyond "serving and former Met Police officers." Surely they must have more detail that that to share without libelling anyone?

At best it's very lazy journalism. At worst they've printed an allegation without verifying it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It does seem to be a bit of a non-story, far below what I would normally expect of the Telegraph.

It's very vague, very light on detail. Mentions of a "secret Facebook Group" but no more detail than that - if someone has provided details of what was posted in the group surely they also provided more details about it. No quotes of these alleged posts, which I would also expect the "whistleblower" to have provided. No details of the people involved beyond "serving and former Met Police officers." Surely they must have more detail that that to share without libelling anyone?

At best it's very lazy journalism. At worst they've printed an allegation without verifying it.
My very point(s). (y)(y)(y)(y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Tootles.
The,"Boys" will be around later to do your drive,there was a batch of Tarmac left over from a motorway job last night. Thanks for your support,anything else the lads could do for you,feel free to ask.
Tea Bag Tinker

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It says PERSIL on the sides of buses, David, but they don't take in washing...(y)

Here's a few real facts concerning this story.
Fact 1. No proof about this alleged 'closed' site has been stated.
Fact 2. No person has been named.
Of course the news media can say what they have said with legal impunity, they haven't named their sources, nor printed/reported any facts! :) It's all supposition, in the hope of rallying the disaffected PC Brigade into another boiler steaming, placard waving, bulging eyed response, whilst at the same time slagging off and degrading a police force. (y)
Fair Points but my link simply pointed to the report. I never commented on the veracity of it other than to say it had also been reported in other media. Time will tell.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We have this problem at home in Dundee,last week there was seven illegal campsites,on empty building car parks, and in public packs over 240 caravans,van,cars and motorhomes all used by ,thinks,gypsies or travellers, call them what you will.
If anyone of us tried to park overnight at any of the same locations we would be "moved on" by either police or council officers.
These folk leave the various sight in a complete mess, human waste,
Old caravans broken up and abandoned ,rubbish everywhere !
This then cost local councils/firms a fortune to have the removed ,utter crap.
They should Never be treated any differently than any of the rest of us,laws are laws and should be applied to all no matter what they want to be called,if they are wrong then charge them,lock them up,throw away the key and then these "folk" will soon learn that they are no different than us.
It is because of their filthy ways that we the innocents are treated to harshly by councils and police up and down this country.
Enough is enough ,lock them up take away their fancy cars,caravan and motorhomes unless the pay like the rest of us !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back