Selfie Sticks.. Two Reviews. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do you have one or think they are just a fad and for posers with iPhones..

Hate the word 'selfie' myself, but get over that and they are actually a really useful accessory.

But like all accessories there are the good, the bad and the ugly..

I have tried two..

The first one is 'ok' blue-tooth shutter release and it does the job.. but it's quite cheap design and the phone holder is a bit plasticy .. I don't think it will last long..

From Mobile Fun Olixar Selfie Smart Pole. £14.99

The second one is in a different league.. Self Picture Monopod and can be used with small cameras, GoPro Hero and Smart phones.. it is a sturdy design,, it is also bluetooth remote from a remote control unit..
from the Broken Link Removed £17.99 .. first class product at a great price.. look for the discount code ..

If size and weight are important, the Olixar is lighter and more compact

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't think it was legal to own one if you're older than 13 :LOL::whistle:

I have to say though that using one with a GoPro is a good idea. That could be worth playing with a bit.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's what I thought.. until I tried one, then I realised it opens up a lot ways of taking photos that can't be done otherwise..

now you can literally put yourself in the frame..

some ideas

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How big a camera can you fit on the bigger one?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In addition to phone holder it has a regular tripod screw mount.. so in theory, no limit .. in practice.. weight would dictate

The pole also has a female tread on the base on the handle for mounting on a tripod..

Thanks for that. I think I might have a look when I get back from our trip. I've definitely got GoPro ideas and a decent compact with a cable release attached has got some potential as well.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On our last trip, looky looky men were selling them, don't know how much they wanted for them.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Jim, like you I've been holding off getting one, but have now ordered the more robust one you mentioned, ready for our trip to Ireland later this month.

I'll try to remember to use it only when there isn't another real person nearby who I could ask to take the photo for me.

Steve :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
At the entrance to Neuschwanstein Castle this spring I spent ages waiting for an asian tourist to get the perfect selfie with one of those bloody things before I could get to the viewpoint where I could take a 3 second non-selfie. I wouldn't mind so much but she also wasted ages getting her mate to take a photo of her, and her mate was using a camera on (guess what) a selfie stick.

I call them sad bastard sticks, for people who want to pretend they travelled abroad with a friend.

Obviously what people do with GoPros etc is up to them because they're usually on their own when they're doing it, but waving the bloody things round in tourist hotspots is a complete menace.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I might get one, but I need to overcome their major drawback first. The problem is it will be my ugly mug in the picture and that is a look which I wouldn't wish on anyone. Though I guess you don't have to point the camera at your face. The back of my head is better looking than the front but I would need to wear a hat to cover the bald spot!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
waving the bloody things round in tourist hotspots is a complete menace.

have no fear.. I don't plan on being in or near any of the 'tourist hotspots' , with or without my selfie stick. .. :rolleyes:

I call them sad bastard sticks,

my thread was started as a review.. not for people to slag me off ..

you don't want , need or like.. fair enough ..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..my thread was started as a review.. not for people to slag me off ..

Nothing personal intended sir, and my sincere apologies if it looked like anything other than exaggerated jest. In answer to your original question, yes I think they are just a fad and for posers with iPhones.

As a lifelong photographer I have a fundamental dislike for how they encourage people to point their cameras in the least important and least imaginative direction. I think photographers should have more ambition and treat the medium with more respect, but in the end it's each to their own.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As a lifelong photographer I have a fundamental dislike for how they encourage people to point their cameras in the least important and least imaginative direction. I think photographers should have more ambition and treat the medium with more respect, but in the end it's each to their own.

also a lifetime photographer.. to me they are just an accessory.. much the same as a tripod is, basically a monopod, which it can also be uses as, with a swivel head, shutter released with a bluetooth remote or if a compact camera, self timer. ..

there are some amazing photos using them .. impossible without .. so while some may have them as the next 'fad' .. others will explore the possibilities and use them to the full potential ..

phone cameras are now able to give excellent results.. we have them in our pocket .. always with us.. a heavy SLR or even a compact camera is often left at home.. they can also be used forward facing to get a shot over the heads of a crowd of people..

I predict that they will become more popular over the next year or so, by pro and amateur , youngsters and oldies like us..

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only 'problem' I see is that (I assume) you're using the front camera on the phone. Which is usually the rather poor one.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've taken photographs most every day for 35 years. My daughter brought one to a rugby match, we had great fun with it and the perspective is pleasingly different. :)

GinnyDadRugby.png

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
At the entrance to Neuschwanstein Castle this spring I spent ages waiting for an asian tourist to get the perfect selfie with one of those bloody things before I could get to the viewpoint where I could take a 3 second non-selfie. I wouldn't mind so much but she also wasted ages getting her mate to take a photo of her, and her mate was using a camera on (guess what) a selfie stick.

I call them sad bastard sticks, for people who want to pretend they travelled abroad with a friend.

Obviously what people do with GoPros etc is up to them because they're usually on their own when they're doing it, but waving the bloody things round in tourist hotspots is a complete menace.
Well Mr Surfbus I guess me and Jo must be sad bast$$ds as well cos we have had one for quite a while and found it a really useful tool.And you had better watch out now cos I've just bought one for my I-Pad. :LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I am quite happy taking pictures of my friends without me in them.
I know what I look like!

(Fat, bald and old.)
JJ :cool:

Dont put yourself down, JJ... :lipssealed:

I`ll do that for you..... :giggler:

:*

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Dont put yourself down, JJ... :lipssealed:

I`ll do that for you...

You have every right to do so, Mr old-mo...

Let's face it, you are a slim, amazingly good looking, Babe Magnet, with a fine head of hair and a reassuring air of confidence that comes from knowing, deep inside, that you are "The Man".

My mum would have been so proud to learn that I knew you...

JJ :cool:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Announcing the SBS Mk I (Patent Applied For) Selfie Stick from MSB Enterprises.

Our sticky stick is sourced from environmentally friendly sticks and easy to use - just stick your camera on the stick, pull the string and hey presto, job done, a photo for you to stick on Faecebook! You'll definitely want to stick with our stick.

When you've finished with it you can recycle our Selfie Stick as a stick to stick in the garden.

Broken Link Removed

A snip at only £199 + P&P, Camera and Sellotape not included. Soon to be available in all good Pound Stores :)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Selfie sticks are for people who like to pretend to others that they have lots of friends -my opinion of course - yes sad basterd sticks :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back