Vw Camper On Fire Holds Up Motorway Traffic... (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Looked like a really old one as well. A shame to see someone's pride and joy go up in smoke like that. Hope they all got clear in time to salvage some personal belongings as well

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We were once coming back from Scotland on the m6 near Shap when we saw a VW parked up on hard shoulder with smoke coming out of the back ......we stopped a safe distance further up in front of it A young couple with no fire extinguisher .....my late husband ran back to our Motorhome got one of ours and managed to put it out straightaway they were oblivious to the need to carry a fire extinguisher .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
A lot of the early air cooled VW fires are caused because of the petrol pipe from the carb, perished or split it leaks being above the cylinders then drips onto the plugs hot manifold etc and boom up it goes. This may not be the case in this one but that's how a lot happen. I do not understand why you would spend thousands on restoring a van/ car and not put a braided fuel line on which are available to eliminate this problem.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wonder who failed to close the MW, that thing probably had a gas cylinder in it, aka Bomb.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
A lot of the early air cooled VW fires are caused because of the petrol pipe from the carb, perished or split it leaks being above the cylinders then drips onto the plugs hot manifold etc and boom up it goes. This may not be the case in this one but that's how a lot happen. I do not understand why you would spend thousands on restoring a van/ car and not put a braided fuel line on which are available to eliminate this problem.
That was the case in the one we stopped at on the M6 near Shap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back