Morrisons Blanket Ban On Refilling All Lpg Tanks And Bottles (1 Viewer)

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Recently whilst reading a back issue of a motorhome magazine I came across an item which said Morrisons have introduced a blanket ban on motorhomes and caravans using the LPG pumps at their stations to fill up domestic gas. Now over the last few months I have filled up at their stations with no problems.
So I decided to call Morrisons head office to clarify the situation as UKLPG.ORG say it is fine to use autogas pumps to fill fixed tanks with external filling point as does the industry guidelines that I shared on another post.
I was on the phone for over an hour 10 days ago and no one could give me a answer however this morning I received an email from them confirming they had indeed a blanket ban in place.
Please read the following reply and leave constructive Response and I will reply to their idiotic blanket ban.
Good morning Mr Stancliffe

Thank you for contacting Morrisons

The safety of our customers and colleagues is our paramount concern. We take great care to
ensure that our petrol stations are safe environments and apply robust controls to reduce
the risk of fire and explosion and comply with all relevant health and safety legislation.

The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with automotive LPG tanks. For
safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable
cylinders or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans and motorhomes.

We are aware that some domestic tanks or portable cylinders are adapted or designed for
use with automotive LPG pumps. However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to
determine whether a system meets strict industry guidelines and can be considered safe.

We apologise if this causes any inconvenience, but believe that a blanket ban on the
refuelling of non-automotive LPG tanks is the best way to ensure the safety of our customers
and colleagues.

Many thanks

Daniel Wilkinson
Customer Services
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
At present my local Shell self-serve station not only allows refilling of fixed outlet MH tanks, their attendant is more than happy to pump the gas for you.

However, on the pump is a sign saying it's for automotive fuel use only with duty paid. This may be one to watch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
And no doubt a copy of which as gone to all branches with a view to possible enforcement, by staff.

I fear all you may have done is stir something up, that was best left unstirred.

If it 'aint broke don't fix it!

:cooler:

Yes I too regularly filled at Morrisons, but probably no more after that.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
And no doubt a copy of which as gone to all branches with a view to possible enforcement, by staff.

I fear all you may have done is stir something up, that was best left unstirred.

Perhaps, but bear in mind that the ban was already in force. I believe that little can be done as Morrisons can hide behind the HSE card until the cows come home. Not a defeatist, but a realist

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
If you have an external filling point how will the staff know the gas is for powering domestic appliances and not for powering the vehicle? As said above if it aint broke don't fix it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We refueled at Morrisons at Spalding in May. The positioning of the pumps was such that we could fill the (Alugas) gas bottles and then the diesel without moving the van then pay for both together. The till operator didn't say anything about a ban and obviously authorised both pumps.

I recall that a week or two beforehand @Munchie posted that he had filled his has bottles at Morrisons Boroughbridge.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to
determine whether a system meets strict industry guidelines and can be considered safe.

this is a crap excuse..

if this is the case, the attendants need training.. or at least the person in charge of the forecourt

in saying that it is nothing new,, I was refused gas at a French station, reason given they do not sell for 'cooking' gas

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Perhaps, but bear in mind that the ban was already in force. I believe that little can be done as Morrisons can hide behind the HSE card until the cows come home. Not a defeatist, but a realist

The ban may well have been in place but obviously not enforced because I and many others have filled at Morrisons, but reminding them that staff are to ensure that the ban is enforced was probably not a good idea.
It only takes a staff member to refuse to switch on the LPG pump until you prove that it is for motive use only, and that, as they say, is the end of that.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I believe this was a knee jerk reaction to the fire caused by a bad installation on a motorhome in manchester. was reported on here last year with links to news articles and photos

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
And no doubt a copy of which, has gone to all branches with a view to possible enforcement, by staff.

It's not stirring anything up!
We spend most of our time off grid in the wilds and sometimes we may have a 50 mile round trip to a LPG station and the last thing we want is to get there and be refused.
The fact of the matter is they are going against industry guidelines which state autogas pumps can be used by motorhomes if filling point is a permanent fixture on the outside of the van.
I did ask for constructive comments to send back to Morrisons ! ;-)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Sod morrisons I have told Elaine to go to Asda instead the yanks can have our money now
We normally fill with gas a Wakefield so I will try next week to see what happens if they refuse a kind Asian gent half a mile will happily oblige and charge me a penny a litre more

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Sod morrisons I have told Elaine to go to Asda instead the yanks can have our money now
We normally fill with gas a Wakefield so I will try next week to see what happens if they refuse a kind Asian gent half a mile will happily oblige and charge me a penny a litre more
We use the Wakefield one with no trouble, if you go anywhere near either Morley or Honley the first is autogas station and second a texaco station it's only 47.9p per litre

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We spend most of our time off grid in the wilds and sometimes we may have a 50 mile round trip to a LPG station and the last thing we want is to get there and be refused.
The fact of the matter is they are going against industry guidelines which state autogas pumps can be used by motorhomes if filling point is a permanent fixture on the outside of the van.
Probably just tell them that they are: going against industry guidelines.

They need to take a pro active approach to staff training, I mean even a Morrisons worker can probably recognise the difference between an external filler and an illegal Ebay one directly attached to a gas cylinder.

They will lose custom from motorhomers!!!

Anyway thanks for the heads up I am definately fitting an external pipe on my new gas set up and no in locker filler inlet.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

I was merely pointing out, that sometimes saying nowt, can be the best option!

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
This is part of the industry guidelines fact sheet found here

I have printed a copy out to produce as and when required
August 2011
Replaces UKLPG Information Sheet 24 – June 2007

FILLING OF USER OWNED, PORTABLE REFILLABLE LPG CYLINDERS AT AUTOGAS REFUELLING SITES

It is the advice from UKLPG that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be refilled at self service autogas refuelling sites.

Containers which are attached to a vehicle for heating or cooking (on camper vans or similar) present similar risks on filling to those for propulsion purposes and may be permitted to be re-filled at autogas refuelling sites provided they:

ď‚· are not removed for refilling; andď‚· are secured in a suitable enclosure; andď‚· are fitted with an internal device to physically prevent filling beyond 80%; and ď‚· are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the container.

UK Health and Safety Regulations, made under the Health and Safety at Work Act, including the:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
That letter has been seen on here before, it has been their policy for years.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to

"We" are the victims of the people who use dodgy ebay adaptors to illegally fill Calor cylinders. What they are saying is quite reasonable.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As Morrisons state, their rules are for the safety of all their customers not just the half dozen motorhomes who are looking for a cheep refill.......;) Any retort will be seen by the masses as just another gripe by caravan dwellers.:)

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
"We" are the victims of the people who use dodgy ebay adaptors to illegally fill Calor cylinders. What they are saying is quite reasonable.
Perhaps the idea of bringing back the forecourt attendant would help?
However more and more asda stores are introducing staff free pumps so how would they police LPG ? Let alone petrol been put in non standard containers IE pop bottles or the likes

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
As Morrisons state, their rules are for the safety of all their customers not just the half dozen motorhomes who are looking for a cheep refill.......;) Any retort will be seen by the masses as just another gripe by caravan dwellers.:)
Filling up with petrol is just as bad all that petrol vapour been displaced from the tank as you fill!
Cheapness is a good point with a 13kg bottle holding around 21l and costing anything up to ÂŁ33 around ÂŁ1.57 per litre who can blame us half dozen motorhomes paying 47.9 to 59.9 per litre ?

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
You
"Wanted, forecourt attendants for petrol station, must have degree and qualifications in certifying LPG installations. Good remuneration package".

Well you can try.
You saw the situations vacant ad as well :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe there is a case for the manufacturers of refillable tanks, the NCC and the likes of us to educate filling station operators that the systems we use are as safe as regular automotive ones. Thing is, there can't be much profit in gas delivery as it seems the number of stations has plateaued or even shrinking and it looks like it going to get worse.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
If the attendant queries your filling, tell him it's LPG converted ;) He won't know the difference, that's if he bothers to ask :rolleyes:. A big fuss about nothing IMO.

Cheers, Antony

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The ban may well have been in place but obviously not enforced because I and many others have filled at Morrisons, but reminding them that staff are to ensure that the ban is enforced was probably not a good idea.
It only takes a staff member to refuse to switch on the LPG pump until you prove that it is for motive use only, and that, as they say, is the end of that.

Yes, but their staff are usually low qualified, minimum wage people who do not know the difference. One accident and then who is liable? Oh yes, they already had the one accident and don't want to risk another.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Maybe there is a case for the manufacturers of refillable tanks, the NCC and the likes of us to educate filling station operators that the systems we use are as safe as regular automotive ones.
Good idea, as tanks bottles and filling points should have been fitted by a qualified installer perhaps a gas safe certificate should be issued and produced if required ? As long as the attendant can read problem solved.?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good idea, as tanks bottles and filling points should have been fitted by a qualified installer perhaps a gas safe certificate should be issued and produced if required ? As long as the attendant can read problem solved.?

Now there is a statement that might keep this thread going for a while longer

Reading posts on the forum, it would appear that the majority of Gas it / Gas lo type systems have been home fitted :)

Maybe Morrisons have a point (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back