Leisure Battery, Low Warning Light......help Please. (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Leisure battery help.

I bought a new leisure battery last year and now have a problem, the control panel in MH shows one light (red) very low, the solar control panel shows flashing red and green ( low). When I run the engine the MH control panel shows, full charge and the solar panel shows green (good charge). Turn engine off and after a short time, one light on control panel, battery low.

Now I know nothing about electric, my thinking is that although the battery is only one year old, it's finished. Question is am I right? I have left my Spanish house and tomorrow enter France, if I need to buy a battery I will try and find one but of course if it could be something else I don't want to spend money on a new battery.

Sorry to go on a bit but have tried to explain as best can.

Any suggestions please…….be nice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon your battery is faulty or dead.
starting the engine fools the system into thinking is good because of the increased voltage from the alternator.
the solar panel relies on a battery voltage to begin charging, which it is only getting from the engine.....not the battery.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I reckon your battery is faulty or dead.
starting the engine fools the system into thinking is good because of the increased voltage from the alternator.
the solar panel relies on a battery voltage to begin charging, which it is only getting from the engine.....not the battery.

Thanks for that, I sort of thought that but I really don't know about electric at all. As I might have a problem getting a leisure battery That is the correct size ( it need to fit under the passenger seat of left hand drive Transit 2001) will an ordinary car 12v battery do? I think that I remember reading that some people do use a car battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many so called "leisure" batteries are nothing more than starter batteries with a posh label.

Starter battery wont last as long but will do the job.

A leisure battery is designed for slow and deep discharge whereas a starter battery is designed for a quick but very heavy load and immediate recharge after starting.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have 3 of these and right now very please with them and the price.............. good enough.

Broken Link Removed

The place above can supply whatever size you need and rip off prices.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Leisure battery help.

I bought a new leisure battery last year and now have a problem, the control panel in MH shows one light (red) very low, the solar control panel shows flashing red and green ( low). When I run the engine the MH control panel shows, full charge and the solar panel shows green (good charge). Turn engine off and after a short time, one light on control panel, battery low.

Now I know nothing about electric, my thinking is that although the battery is only one year old, it's finished. Question is am I right? I have left my Spanish house and tomorrow enter France, if I need to buy a battery I will try and find one but of course if it could be something else I don't want to spend money on a new battery.

Sorry to go on a bit but have tried to explain as best can.

Any suggestions please…….be nice.
If it's less than a year old even the cheapest battery must have one year gauantee, take it back

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have 3 of these and right now very please with them and the price.............. good enough.

Broken Link Removed

The place above can supply whatever size you need and rip off prices.
The place above can supply whatever size you need and NOT rip off prices

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back