Bbq Food Increases Cancer Risk (1 Viewer)

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zprd7hv

Another case of scare mongering or not, will have to wait and see when more information is available

I will still be cooking sausages and burgers on the Chimnea tonight whilst drinking some liver killing wine.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I watched this. It's known that bowel cancer is more common in Australia due to bbq.
We're ok as we have a cadac. So grill not bbq.
It's the proper smokey bbq that is carcinogenic.
In the program it showed that if you marinated your meat in beer, dark beer in particular, it counteracted the cancer causing Smoke and burnt bits.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Using dark beer as a marinade is supposed to reduce the risk and you have got the added bonus of drinking the beer that isn't used. :)
I was a bit slow posting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Cadac isn't a bbq. It's a griddle. You won't be harmed. Like us.
As I said above its the smoke ( especially ) extra heat given off coals and charcoal and black burnt stuff that does it.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I love my barbecue (charcoal type) but I am careful not to char food or burn it.

Regularly consuming well-done or charred meat may increase your risk of developing pancreatic cancer by up to 60 percent, according to a University of Minnesota studythat tracked the eating habits of more than 62,000 people over a nine-year period. Why? Cooking meat at a high temperature causes chemicals called HCAs (heterocyclic amines) and PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) to form. These carcinogens can cause changes in the DNA that can lead to cancer.

Try chooser leaner meats and trimming the fat well before grilling, because when fat and juices drip from meat, flames flare up and create more smoke, which leads to carcinogen formation. Also, flip frequently to reduce HCAs by 75 to 95 percent, according to Nutrition Action Healthletter. If you do char your meat, trim it away before.

If a study of the diet of 62000 people suggests a link with changes in DNA and pancreatic cancer, thats good enough for me. BUT, there is plenty of information on the web which suggests that using a marinade and lower cooking temperatures can reduce the carcinogens by 90%.

So for me its carry on barbecuing but with attention to not burning and using a marinade when the heat has started to die down a little therefore cooking more slowly.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/guidelines-healthier-grilling-cancer-risk/#ixzz3g4UKDQbq

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
YEWOHH! here's another don't eat it, it's gonna kill you

Oh Please!!,Would you spend the rest of yer miserable life sucking Gruel thro an organic straw, and die a pinch cheeked misery at 100 and?
"In 1932 I could fill me Motorbike up for 2s and thupence farthing"
or
Eat what you like, and die happy!

It's a no brainer, innet?

Edit! anyway charcoal is good for you, it cleans the blood!:rolleyes:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It's known that bowel cancer is more common in Australia due to bbq.
I cant find any reference to this. Having enjoyed barbies for many years, and eaten Army food for more years, (most of that badly burnt), I was of coarse interested to enquire from my surgeon if that was the root cause of my recent bowel cancer. No, (sayeth the man), not lifestyle. Your just one of the unlucky one out of five men. o_O I think I will go with his answer.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I cant find any reference to this. Having enjoyed barbies for many years, and eaten Army food for more years, (most of that badly burnt), I was of coarse interested to enquire from my surgeon if that was the root cause of my recent bowel cancer. No, (sayeth the man), not lifestyle. Your just one of the unlucky one out of five men. o_O I think I will go with his answer.
Sorry toots, I may be wrong . I should have backed up my post with a quote. I'm not sure where I heard it. I think It was a TV program. But I just googled and found this
Prostate is the most common , followed by bowel in Oz.
Then thishttp://www.news-mail.com.au/news/cancer-council-puts-bbq-meat-under-grill/2507677/
So what do the Aussies do to raise awareness and raise funds
http://bigaussiebarbie.com.au/ ????? Seems like they aren't concerned either !

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
YEWOHH! here's another don't eat it, it's gonna kill you

Oh Please!!,Would you spend the rest of yer miserable life sucking Gruel thro an organic straw, and die a pinch cheeked misery at 100 and?
"In 1932 I could fill me Motorbike up for 2s and thupence farthing"
or
Eat what you like, and die happy!

It's a no brainer, innet?

Edit! anyway charcoal is good for you, it cleans the blood!:rolleyes:

Well please yourself, personally I prefer to take advice if I can see some sense in it, which I do in this case.

On the other hand, when you are double incontinent, deaf, cant walk more than a few steps without a frame, cant see too well either, 90 years old and you know abstaining from burnt barbeque food, strong drink and even stronger women has given you another five years of life you might wish you hadn't abstained :):)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This has been rattling on for yonks! Its like most things which you like but that are 'bad' for you ... moderation.

... but then again ...my mum is now 90 and has eaten loads of butter with a bit of bread (yes loads of butter on the bread!) fried food, loves fried chicken wings, dripping etc and is still going strong ... nowadays she'd be condemned for doing it but she's happy and quite health so she's not gonna complain!

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
you cant beat a good barbie, and i for one will continue to eat what i like and stuff the scare mongers

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

How come some smart-ar$e comes up with this 'good' advice so late!... breathing will kill you................well the last breath will...............be your last

(y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi MinxyGirl.
Butter is the key,my mother is 101,and we were brought up with the idea that the bread was not "buttered" properly,unless you could see teeth marks in it where you had bitten.
OFF TOPIC LOL.
Had a Rally at a farm in Cheshire,(Alderly Edge ?) about 2010, The farmer was a Bond Bug collector and was having a big Bond meet. Big marquee,band,booze etc,and we were invited to join in........ MAGIC!!!!
Tea Bag....... 39'r LOL!!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If you don't burn ,I mean cook your food, them little ecoli bacteria or some other nasty little microbe is going to kill you any how

They will have us all eating berry's and nuts soon ,I'll stick with a barbie (y)

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
Where my folks lived in South Africa my poor mum had to go in to a nursing home. Whist there I was struck by the lack of males there, the senior nursing sister said two "Bs" beer and BBQs or Brais as they are called there that's what finishes them off!! Having lived in Africa I can see that.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Well please yourself, personally I prefer to take advice if I can see some sense in it, which I do in this case.

On the other hand, when you are double incontinent, deaf, cant walk more than a few steps without a frame, cant see too well either, 90 years old and you know abstaining from burnt barbeque food, strong drink and even stronger women has given you another five years of life you might wish you hadn't abstained :):)

Absolute bulldust!
No way! if I even think I'm heading that way, I am out of here , on my own terms!
Mean while! I'll eat what I like, drink what I like, AND enjoy life! MY LIFE!!
To live a miserable life just to get a few more miserable years, is a no no!
Live life to the full, and die happy!
If YOU want to end up dribbling mush down your waistcoat, if your quaility of life, happens to be sitting in a urine soaked chair in a nursing home watching Jeramy Kyle on full volume with others in the same situation, go for it kiddo!
This fella ain't down for that!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Absolute bulldust!
No way! if I even think I'm heading that way, I am out of here , on my own terms!
Mean while! I'll eat what I like, drink what I like, AND enjoy life! MY LIFE!!
To live a miserable life just to get a few more miserable years, is a no no!
Live life to the full, and die happy!
If YOU want to end up dribbling mush down your waistcoat, if your quaility of life, happens to be sitting in a urine soaked chair in a nursing home watching Jeramy Kyle on full volume with others in the same situation, go for it kiddo!
This fella ain't down for that!

Bulldust? I don't think you understood my ironic post. Perhaps you could read it again. I have no intention of doing as you suggest in the nursing home and was not presuming to suggest you live life in any other way than how you wish.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i was stating that the nursing home is not for me either.
live life to the full and die happy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back