Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
we have this aerial......
3123123.png

and at weekend we parked up, got a good signal all seemed fine until we had to move van slightly to get some water. went and parked back in the exact same spot and no signal!?

someone said in a previous post that these are rubbish....

we drover around the field which was empty apart from us and we eventually got a signal. went out for a walk, came back and no signal again. this happened several times, intermittent signal. is there a better aerial or internal aerial that would improve this. we have the booster thing inside the van and that was turned to full.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They are poor but if in a high signal area even a poor one is OK.

Loose connection ? The co-ax connectors are notorious. Two types, soldered and screwed. Check all of them. Probably 3 of them.

Screwed, make sure the screw is tight and the braid/screen contacts the outer body.

Soldered, so many are not soldered and tarnish and fail, again unscrew examine, if not soldered bend the inner so it rubs inside the contact or solder. Again make sure the braid is in good contact with the body.

Make sure the red LED is on on the amplifier box under the aerial.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
1212.jpg
this is the box inside. I checked all the connections and they seemed secure. it seemed when we shut the cupboard door or banged something the signal went off or glitch, could it be the wire?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Try wriggling all the wires, inc power and localised tapping. It may be a cracked joint internally. Spare wire, maybe a bedroom feed ?

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
On our amplifier box there is only room for one output connection but we have two output points so have to make sure that the output point we are using in the one that is connected, The one that isn't connected always has an upward curve like the short one in your image so (long shot), is the aerial point you are using the one that is connected?

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
At a well known dealers we bought an aerial like yours and went back when it did not work. The next aerial was the same and after 5 units we got a signal, just. They decided it was our TV so tried an Avtex which worked. We gave up and parked on their camping ground and got a perfect picture. The next day we returned to the dealers and got a good signal where I parked this time. I since learned, as did the dealer, that they have a dead spot for signals but just a few feet away; perfect picture. I now have a satellite dish which opens a whole new can of worms.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Your aerial is massively outdated. I know that these aerials are still sold as being adequate for digital reception but the are omnidirectional & what you need is unidirectional. In other words you need an adjustable aerial like the newer Status items. Your problems are stemming from the old aerial.

Hope this helps..Robert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Thanks everyone. Can anyone put a link to a decent aerial. Also would it effect the roof changing aerial by leaving opened screw holes?

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use the Broken Link Removed, so far very good, better than our previous Vision Status.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Teleco Teleplus X2 /39U TV Aerial is the one I have currently. The last two Status aerials that I've had developed leaks & had to be replaced. This one picks up a signal where the Status failed so its a win win situation.

Read the Teleco Teleplus Aerial Review

Robert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks everyone. Can anyone put a link to a decent aerial. Also would it effect the roof changing aerial by leaving opened screw holes?
We use the Avtex aerial and they work well. If you remove the Status aerial you already have you can buy a plate that uses the same holes to blank it of.

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We had the same aerial fitted to our PVC and even though it picked up decent signal most of the time there were areas where it picked nothing up at all, on our latest van we have a Status 550 and we tested it out today in a area where we normally got nothing with the previous one - the difference was about 130 channels, absolutley stunning for the sake of about £40
Amazon product ASIN B007VLTMGE

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Got both, replaced the broken status on the roof, that works well most of the time, and have the status on a pole as a backup, but don't enjoy rigging it up in the rain on a cold dark winters evening so it mainly stays tucked away,

Went to drive out of Kelvedon Hatch C&CC site once with the pole version still attached, luckily it clipped a tree which knocked it off, as it is mounted on brackets attached by d/s tape only my pride suffered any lasting damage. :getmecoat: :rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Hymie

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Status 550 as above Long Or Short mast A bit expensive but 100% reliable Never heard or read a bad word yet
Apart from Yorkshire men and Scotts comments on price compared to Johns Coat hanger, but he's another story;)

Upvote 0

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Avtex STH3000 Aerial for us as well, excellent when used both inside and outside the van, does not need to be permanently fitted, very cost effective. Saving for a really good sat system at some time in the future till then the Avtex is really good for UK use. Will be interesting to see how it performs in France, suspect it will give us plenty of opportunity to practice our French. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
On the subject of TV in France (Tweedie's post), will a Freeview receiver work in France? I know it will not receive UK programmes but I''l be happy with French channels.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On the subject of TV in France (Tweedie's post), will a Freeview receiver work in France? I know it will not receive UK programmes but I''l be happy with French channels.
Yes, and Spain. But there seem to be a lot fewer French digital channels than our Freeview.

But, for some reason it didn't work at all in Portugal. I even tried it with the analogue tuner in our Avtex TV, but it still did not work.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
My status flying saucer works fine on digital. Never had a problem

The kids even use in on the move somtimes !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back