Thinking About First Time Buy (1 Viewer)

dunworking

Free Member
Jul 9, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
After 10 years caravanning, looking to buy a Motorhome( new). Can anyone point me to where I can find out technical details on the Autosleeper Nuevo such as engine torque, turning circle, wheelbase width, front & rear axle max loadings etc. No detailed info on Autosleeper website, and dealer says he has never been asked these sort of questions - but it drives really nicely! - Did I just approach the wrong dealer?

My alternate is the Swift Esprit 412 - managed to get all the tech info I wanted - any views on this motorhome

New to forum, so any advice on how to best use it would be greatly appreciated.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi dunworking, welcome to Fun.

I would imagine Autosleepers would be the people to ask if you want detailed information, why not just email them and ask. If you don't get a proper reply, look elsewhere.

I have a Swift motorhome which has been mostly okay, a few problems that the dealer sorted out. You will find Swift gets a bit of a slating on here sometimes due to poor quality control. You do get quite a lot of motorhome for your money though.

There are thousands of members on here and if you have a question - just ask. You might even get the occasional sensible answer :)

First thing to do though is to pay your £10 so that you are a full member.

Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
that's the way to go. come and join us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Far more important than the technical specifications is the layout. Try a few first, then settle on a make/model. My (extremely biased opinion) Swifts are the best! :D

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Far more important than the technical specifications is the layout. Try a few first, then settle on a make/model. My (extremely biased opinion) Swifts are the best! :D

Yep, layout (and price of course) is the most important factor. Of course you and I know Swift make the best motorhomes but the Hymer / Burstner owners don't like to admit they made an expensive mistake :D

Paul

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yep, layout (and price of course) is the most important factor. Of course you and I know Swift make the best motorhomes but the Hymer / Burstner owners don't like to admit they made an expensive mistake :D

Paul
I'm glad to see from your avatar that you also own the best Swift :D

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My top 3 criteria would be:

Layout
Usable payload.
Seatbelts

Get any one of those wrong and all the other specs that you do get right count for nothing.
Indeed, I would also add that I think those are in order of precedence also!
Not wishing to rubbish the OP too much, but turning circle, the van will be 6-7m long, so not great. Torque, both the Tranny and Fiat have fairly lively engines, but you aren't going to break the land speed record. Overall width much more important than wheelbase width if you have a narrow drive for example.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dunworking

Free Member
Jul 9, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks to all for the welcome, advice and comments. I have now found out how to pay my £10 and subscribed! Re the criteria, absolutely agree layout/config is the most important criteria ( in my case, 2 seat belt, 2 single berth, under 6 metre coach built with washroom) - only found the Autosleeper Nuevo and Swift Esprit (or bessacar) 412 that fitted the bill - am I missing any? ( wife/chairman does not like van conversions !)

Usable Payload is certainly better on the Swift - not sure just how much I need yet - need to dig deeper into each manufacturer's definition of MRO and what they include in habitation load. Interesting discussion on the Autosleeper Coachbuilt forum
(http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t14770-axle-weights-of-nuevo) regarding weights and axle loadings - which broadened into a confusing discussion about implications about front/rear tyre pressures.

Will definitly take the advice to contact Autosleeper direct and ask them the questions

Certainly got lots to learn, I don't know what I don't know so will really appreciate any advice.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

look at layouts no of seatbelts pay load, take it over the weighbridge, don't go by manufacturers figures, those 'extras' awning extra battery bikerack all eat into what is available. Our first 'proper' van was a swift, good van a couple of little niggles, quickly sorted, 6.9M long and a better turning circle than my citroen c3. Only changed because we wanted a garage model. Know you have caravanned before, but consider hiring your chosen layout, what you think suits may not.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Buy second-hand, buy cheap, and buy an Autosleepers. You first van won't be the one you want but will help you decide what's really important to you. Autosleepers (any) sell quickly and easily and hold their value. I can't stress this too much - no matter how much research you do you will end up changing it sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Look at all the makes none are perfect but I think the french ones give better value and quality (I an biased too!!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dunworking

Free Member
Jul 9, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the additional comments - DanielFord commented on turning circle. Reason I am interested is many sites on the continent have very awkward access on to the actual pitch. The Esprit 412 turning circle is 11.4m (according to Fiat) the same as my VW Passat estate. Scotzsue - thanks for confirming your experience. Not been able to get a figure from Autosleepers yet for the Nuevo. Wino - thanks for your suggestion to look to French products - but so far I have not found a 2berth, 2 seatbelt , twin single berth coachbuilt under 6m long. If you have one in mind would appreciate any pointer you could give me .

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the additional comments - DanielFord commented on turning circle. Reason I am interested is many sites on the continent have very awkward access on to the actual pitch. The Esprit 412 turning circle is 11.4m (according to Fiat) the same as my VW Passat estate. Scotzsue - thanks for confirming your experience. Not been able to get a figure from Autosleepers yet for the Nuevo. Wino - thanks for your suggestion to look to French products - but so far I have not found a 2berth, 2 seatbelt , twin single berth coachbuilt under 6m long. If you have one in mind would appreciate any pointer you could give me .

Each to their own of course but I wouln't have thought there was much difference in turning circles with most motorhomes, pure guesswork on my behalf of course. We have had Fiat and Ford motorhomes plus I have driven Merc Sprinters quite a lot but I have never noticed any problem at all with turning circle, they have all been fine.

Paul

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I also have to say, in all my years of being in and around motorhomes in numerous countries, I've never heard of anyone considering turning circle as an important factor when choosing a motorhome.
Although many motorhomes have chassis extensions at the rear, the wheelbase is not changed so the turning circle is exactly the same as the base vehicle.
If I were you, I'd forget all about turning circle - layout, payload and seatbelts are way ahead of important features.

The Transit AS Pollensa might be ideal for you.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Buy second-hand, buy cheap, and buy an Autosleepers. You first van won't be the one you want but will help you decide what's really important to you. Autosleepers (any) sell quickly and easily and hold their value. I can't stress this too much - no matter how much research you do you will end up changing it sooner rather than later.
I agree, it will take at least one MH, maybe two, to get the right one but they are all a compromise! Have fun.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Two singles under 6 metres will need to use the captains chairs at the foot of each bed. We have an Autocruise Starfire at 5.6 metres long and is similar layout to the Nuevo, but we use the double bed layout. Had it just over a year and are now changing for a French bed model (so Starfire will be up for sale this weekend!). We thought we had chosen the correct layout but you learn a lot in a year. We bought second hand but think the next(newer) one will be the last....well we hope it is. The one word we have always heard in conversations about the ideal motorhome is "compromise".

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back