Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
I wonder if i am alone in this opinion. Probably because I have been used to caravans in the past but I don't understand why the USL isn't a more popular layout than it is. Particularly continental vans seem to offer any other layout but the good old USL. We currently have a British van with a USL and when parked up can stretch out on the sofas that convert very quickly and easily into a huge double bed. It can be set up in literally 5 mins. i don't see the advantage of having all that space taken up by a fixed bed apart perhaps the storage beneath. I just don't get the sitting bolt upright table arrangement that also relies on the cabs seats swivelling around. You can't lounge lazily and relax on cushions etc.

When last in France the evening was cool and damp and we sat parked with the USL facing the Seine watching the ships go by, had a comfortable dinner around the large table and kicked back with a glass or two and watched the river and later the tv. The bed was made up in 5 mins and put away again in 5 mins in the morning, perfect.
I am attracted to the quality of continental vans and was looking to change maybe in a couple of years but can't see anything currently that I would prefer to what we already have given that it is likely to be much more expensive.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I had a Hymer S630 with a USL, but the bed was an over cab pull down otherwise I would not have entertained it.
Can't be doing with making beds up, but really liked the USL.

Just 5 minutes to make up a bed, from seating?

That must be some kind of record!

:cooler:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The reason I think the U shaped lounge is less popular abroad is that most continentals eat and sit outside and prefer having a fixed bed and garage.. same reason most continental vans don't have a grill and oven..

The U shaped lounge is very much a British caravan layout, carried over to motorhomes by the same companies who make caravans..

Our preference is the continental van.. our Hymer B644 has a fixed transverse bed.. large garage and front L shaped lounge using both captains chairs..

There is no right or wrong.. just what people prefer..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's all about personal choice really isn't it. For us a fixed island bed is non negotiable. We both hate with a passion over cab beds, don't like drop down ones that much either and I can't be bothered with putting up and taking down a bed in a lounge or diner each day, 5 minutes or 5 seconds I'm not doing it, so we're the exact opposite to you and would never consider a van with a USL (y)

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Maybe an exaggeration, wife says I am prone to it, don't know what she means. Anyhow the time taken in our perception was of little inconvenience and the space created when it is packed away made it worthwhile. Everyone to their own i guess. Glad you were happy with you van, I take it that it did in fact have a USL as well as the drop down bed, how long was the van? Is it still a current model/recent?

Thanks for the reply.

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on how you intend to use your van as to what layout will suit, a lot of USL ones don't have any way of transporting extra passengers, having only the cab seat, so that in itself means a it won't suit a lot of people. We've had fixed rear beds in our last 3 vehicles and wouldn't go back to not having one - we use it as a separate chill-out area so in effect we have to 'lounges', rather than just one as with a USL. We also need the storage space underneath for our folding electric bikes, 2 inflatable canoes and all the gear, plus table, chairs etc. USL ones are nice but for us they simply do not meet our needs.

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
As i said must just be me then. I suppose we don't carry loads of gear, rely on eating outside and like to cook ourselves occasionally. Also 2 berth with no extra travelling seats is a good point, our kids are grown up but we don't have any grandkids yet. If they arrive both the ''gear'' and travel seats could sway us in a different direction. i suppose if the grand kids come you don't get to lounge around much anyway LoL. Interesting to get the points of view before our next van, so thanks for the replies, as you say its not a competition but I was merely expressing disappointment that the continentals don't offer this layout as at least one option. Maybe some of you can tell me differently?

Regards to all Jon.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Maybe an exaggeration, wife says I am prone to it, don't know what she means. Anyhow the time taken in our perception was of little inconvenience and the space created when it is packed away made it worthwhile. Everyone to their own i guess. Glad you were happy with you van, I take it that it did in fact have a USL as well as the drop down bed, how long was the van? Is it still a current model/recent?

Thanks for the reply.

Jon

I'm assuming that question was for me!

My Hymer S630 was 6.3m long and on a Merc.

I liked it very much but it got old and had to go.

Bought a S640 after that which had side bench seats so even more seating, and of course the pull down bed.

:cooler:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
continentals don't offer this layout as at least one option. Maybe some of you can tell me differently?

There are a few Hymers with U shaped lounges, The B534 , it's under 6mt..

there is also a B644u , same as mine but with the U shaped lounge with four belted travelling seats a tad under 7 mts.

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We swapped our last MH, twin beds in favour of the USL. Mum felt the rear of the MH was wasted space for most of the time..now she makes the bed up and is happy to do so.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We love our USL especially for Winter camping.

I don't like fixed beds myself.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I love my Apache 700 with it's USL !!! and front Dinette.
Takes us 90 second to convert and make the bed, sometimes if travelling or parked for a while we leave it made up.
But as stated it's nice to have a good area for sitting in....

I can lounge in the rear and watch TV while the wifey has all the front area to prepare my Tea :)
Then after eating food in the Dinette, I can retire to the lounge as she finishes the washing up..!!!

(Tin hat on ready)...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rapido did a USL in one of their A-classes, can't remember which model it was but I think it was only a few years ago.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our previous Motorhome had a great lounge but at the front. It was a ci mizar gtl living " top class" 2006
image.jpg

With the bathroom , 2 bunks and kitchen at the rear, king size bed over the cab.

Ralph's built Pug , a PVC , with a rear shape lounge. We've lots of space . But are keeping the beds as single. We just get the duvalays out .
I've not got a picture on my ipad but here's the link to his project.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-23

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love my Apache 700 with it's USL !!! and front Dinette.
Takes us 90 second to convert and make the bed, sometimes if travelling or parked for a while we leave it made up.
But as stated it's nice to have a good area for sitting in....

I can lounge in the rear and watch TV while the wifey has all the front area to prepare my Tea :)
Then after eating food in the Dinette, I can retire to the lounge as she finishes the washing up..!!!

(Tin hat on ready)...

That's why I like ours really:D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When the kids were young we always chose a u-shaped end lounge with a dinette up front, this meant that on longer tours we could get a bit of separation between kids or us. This was good for all our sanity. (But we still hated making beds)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wonder if i am alone in this opinion. Probably because I have been used to caravans in the past but I don't understand why the USL isn't a more popular layout than it is. Particularly continental vans seem to offer any other layout but the good old USL. We currently have a British van with a USL and when parked up can stretch out on the sofas that convert very quickly and easily into a huge double bed. It can be set up in literally 5 mins. i don't see the advantage of having all that space taken up by a fixed bed apart perhaps the storage beneath. I just don't get the sitting bolt upright table arrangement that also relies on the cabs seats swivelling around. You can't lounge lazily and relax on cushions etc.

When last in France the evening was cool and damp and we sat parked with the USL facing the Seine watching the ships go by, had a comfortable dinner around the large table and kicked back with a glass or two and watched the river and later the tv. The bed was made up in 5 mins and put away again in 5 mins in the morning, perfect.
I am attracted to the quality of continental vans and was looking to change maybe in a couple of years but can't see anything currently that I would prefer to what we already have given that it is likely to be much more expensive.
Absolutely agree, when we were looking , we were looking for a fixed bed but also as small a van as we could find , no way could we find one that wasn't cramped and dark , then we happened to see the one we have now, when looking at others , when we got in it was a revelation with the space and light, and bought it there and then, no regrets at all , never planning to swop it , we take the topper off our bed at home, and it fits perfect, home from home.
In the morning we just roll it back and leave the bottom bed out, don't bother pushing it back, put the table up and sit on the bed and use the topper as the seat back, so in essence we have a fixed bed, but with out taking up the space, when we are ready for bed, just roll back the topper and in.
Great.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Must add , there's only the two of us, wouldn't work with kids.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Must add , there's only the two of us, wouldn't work with kids.

When we toured with three kids we have left the u-shaped made up as a bed quite a bit, but only on holiday sites where we've been for a week or more and the kids are not in the van all day and are eating outside. Wish we'd have had the van we have now back then, we have two fixed beds and the convenience is bliss.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our view
we just can't be doing with making up beds .. and we love our fixed bed.
We easily fitted 7 in our lounge a few weeks ago when we had suprise visitors.
no doubt having that space a u shape lounge offers would be great but we wouldn't want to give up our fixed bed. And we see captains chairs that swivel as being a great use of space. ( not to mention being comfy)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other thing we like about the fixed rear bed layout is the bedroom door so we can completely seperate the front and rear at night. The main advantage for us is it stops the dogs from sleeping with us but it's also handy if there's anyone sleeping in the front. Saying that the Rapido in my last post has the same setup.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years

Couldn't agree more, we are on our third van with a U shaped lounge, much more versatile than a fixed bed. We have a routine that takes a few minutes to change from day to night time sleeping. Like you, we park the van so we get great views from the all round windows. We did another 6 week tour of France in April, and are ready for an 8 week tour of Belgium and the Netherlands in September, our Motorhome makes our retirement a joy lol.

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
This is what we also like just a shame that few continental van producers offer this layout as an option. However the Bailey UK range looks like a good option given the funds to buy one. What do Bailey owners think? Is the quality good? They made top class caravans so they should be good?
Regards

Jon

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Minxygirl

That Rapido seems to tick all of the boxes, great article, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Regards Jon

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The bed was made up in 5 mins and put away again in 5 mins in the morning,

One hour and ten minutes a week spent on bed preparation!

I, too, love my USL but sleep in my drop down bed at the other end... 15 seconds to get ready for sleep and 30 seconds to put away for the day.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back