Bust My Hymer Roof Light Winder (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG

Luckily we have three identical winders so have moved one from least used for now

What a flimsy design, I now know, worked fine for over 2 years, but I reckon that was luck, winder is held in place by about 1mm think plastic moulding

So anybody suggest cheapest option for replacement, ebay Brownhills have a looky likey that probably will not fit

I have sent an email to Lowdhams being our nearest Hymer agent from the Hymer web site

It is stamped Hymer, but that is not critical, but suspect the size maybe bespoke, ID 48mm to fit over receiving fitting in roof light surround

(y)(y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi david, agree it looks flimsy.. have I picked it upright that the plastic fitting has a splined hole that drives the metal splined shaft..
if it was mine id be looking to try and fabricate a thin metal washer / plate with a splined hole to match the shaft, that would locate in the slot (if there is room )..
that would help if it can be achieved..
hope that's clear, but I know what I mean lol:)
ta andy

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hi david, agree it looks flimsy.. have I picked it upright that the plastic fitting has a splined hole that drives the metal splined shaft..
if it was mine id be looking to try and fabricate a thin metal washer / plate with a splined hole to match the shaft, that would locate in the slot (if there is room )..
that would help if it can be achieved..
hope that's clear, but I know what I mean lol:)
ta andy

Cheers Andy, as Terry knows I really do not do, I am a danger to the tools I might pick up :)

Trouble is it will be very visible when fitted, the handle pivots and pushes down a spring for some reason I cant see, if I can buy one for £30 or so I will do that, if not I will move them round as needed till I see you next :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Trouble is it will be very visible when fitted, the handle pivots and pushes down a spring for some reason I cant see, if I can buy one for £30 or so I will do that, if not I will move them round as needed till I see you next :LOL:

The spring maintains it in the open or shut position. If it wasn't their the handle would just hang down.:LOL:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Cheers Andy, as Terry knows I really do not do, I am a danger to the tools I might pick up :)

I know your aversion to most diy, but happy to have a look.. as said if there was room for a small metal washer I should be able to make one up. if I have the measurements.. it would definitely take some of the strain off the plastic....
ta andy

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
This happened on my 2009 hymer, Brownhills fixed it under warranty. Original part had Hymer moulded on handle, replacement is not marked. Brownhills Preston had a stock at the time, I got the impression it wasn't unusual, why else keep a supply!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know your aversion to most diy, but happy to have a look.. as said if there was room for a small metal washer I should be able to make one up. if I have the measurements.. it would definitely take some of the strain off the plastic....
ta andy

Hi Andy

Now with my sensible head on I think the problem is that the handle pivot pin has broken out of the handle moulding, @DavidG58 just put the picture of the spline on to confuse you. Could possibly drill the hole right through and put in a longer pin.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy

Now with my sensible head on I think the problem is that the handle pivot pin has broken out of the handle moulding, @DavidG58 just put the picture of the spline on to confuse you. Could possibly drill the hole right through and put in a longer pin.

Martin
Cheers Martin. .....as usual I'm reading more into it lol..
You are right. The picture of the splined shaft got me down wrong path..
The good news for David is it should be an easier repair..
Cheers again
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cheapest option will be to get one via continental dealer German will probably be best.
Recently craked a rear light, picked up one in France €135 (£96) UK price £160.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
One of mine broke in a similar fashion a few years ago. I bought two replacements when at Hymer in Bad Waldsee. I tried to repair the broken one without success. Brownhills Ebay shop have only the pre 2006 model unfortunately - they are similar but may not fit.
You might try Edgehill Motorhomes or Peter Hambilton to see if they have a spare to fit yours.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it is just the pin on the folding handle that has broken out of the circular toothed plastic plate can you push this back into place and glue a couple of small pieces of plastic \ wood (eg ice lolly stick cuttings) into the slots? Holding it in place against any spring action whilst the glue sets might be a problem though?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks for the re[air ideas, they possibly are feasible. but for me not practical, will try to find new replacements today

It wouldn't be the end of the world to move one from window to window when needed if all else fails, or at least until I can get one (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning David are you going to Hartlepool ? if so I will have a look at it (y) and tell you it's kn----ed :)From the pics it looks like the plastic bit that holds the pin in position has broken so it's a case of either drilling all way through and fitting a longer pin or possibly epoxy-ing the bits of missing plastic up which hold the pin -will know better once I look at it -Between me,you Andy and may well get Andy (tecno) on the job I am sure we can all tell you it's kn-----d ----Heavy handed sod ;):D
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
One here @DavidG58 http://www.caravansandcampersltd.co.uk/accessories/hymer-rooflight-winding-handle-.html

dont know if the colour is right from photo and no HYMER logo, you might be able to keep the handle and use a new base, tools out again.

Martin

Martin well beat me to it:D so here is another -- Broken Link Removed
terry

Thanks both, Terry that one is for older versions and different enough that it might not fit, Martin, nice find have ordered the only one they appear to have, for £20 got to be worth trying, find a long pin and then drilling a long hole, (I don't think so)

Terry not going to Hartlepool, Bev has claimed MH for a WI weekend away, something doesn't seem quite right, but you can tell her :LOL::LOL:, see you in Falkirk, I will be overnighting in Jedburgh town centre carpark on Thursday night, free there and wifi available free (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
One here @DavidG58 http://www.caravansandcampersltd.co.uk/accessories/hymer-rooflight-winding-handle-.html

dont know if the colour is right from photo and no HYMER logo, you might be able to keep the handle and use a new base, tools out again.

Martin

The base is part of the skylight surround, moulded into it, so only need a screw driver to swap, already had a practice at that :D

thanks again (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This happened on my 2009 hymer, Brownhills fixed it under warranty. Original part had Hymer moulded on handle, replacement is not marked. Brownhills Preston had a stock at the time, I got the impression it wasn't unusual, why else keep a supply!

funnily enough, that is where my Hymer came from, when it was Hymer Blackpool, Brownhills Newark still have some of them but they are slightly different, the handle bit on mine has a slight angle, not sure if it is critical :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry not going to Hartlepool, Bev has claimed MH for a WI weekend away, something doesn't seem quite right, but you can tell her :LOL::LOL:, see you in Falkirk, I will be overnighting in Jedburgh town centre carpark on Thursday night, free there and wifi available free (y)
Not me David Bev does right using the van at least she does not break it (tongue in cheek:D)anyway the WI women need to be in comfort ;)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back