Apr 23, 2009
Kempston Bedfrod
Funster No
MH
Coach built on
Exp
10 years
Hello every one
Any body out there been fitted with a defibrilator ICD. Unfortunately I have and cannot get a Group 2 Licence. Ordinary one is OK though. My Motor Holme is a coach built (Old one) Planted onto an extended Transit chassis cab. Now has a 2.5 diesel instead of the Pinto petrol. Did all engineering work and mods myself. A lot of hard work. (Hopfully not wasted)
Unfortunately it wieghs 4 tons. This brings it into the G2 licence catagory for vehicles 3.5 tons to 7 tons.
Any one got any ideas preferably legal to get round this problem.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
Tony Folkes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only thing i can think of it to have the weight down-plated to 3500kg......but whats that gonna do to your payload ?:Sad:

ps....just noticed its your first post so welcome to the FUN!

Last edited:

asinboat43

Free Member
Aug 2, 2008
anywhere & everywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
9 years
weight limits?

Hello every one
Any body out there been fitted with a defibrilator ICD. Unfortunately I have and cannot get a Group 2 Licence. Ordinary one is OK though. My Motor Holme is a coach built (Old one) Planted onto an extended Transit chassis cab. Now has a 2.5 diesel instead of the Pinto petrol. Did all engineering work and mods myself. A lot of hard work. (Hopfully not wasted)
Unfortunately it wieghs 4 tons. This brings it into the G2 licence catagory for vehicles 3.5 tons to 7 tons.
Any one got any ideas preferably legal to get round this problem.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
Tony Folkes

Hello Tony

Is your motorhome registered as a disabled vehicle? because in the minibus world drivers with car license can only, I believe drive up to 3.5 tons, but if that minibus has been fitted as a disabled vehicle [i.e a lift or electric step to assist disabled people] then the weight limit goes up to 4.25 tons?? maybe just maybe??:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

cheers asinboat
:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i understand it to be if you passed your test before jan 97 you should be ok. your licence covered up to 7.5ton. as you got the car part of it back if they took your lic. away i would argue they must give your upto 7.5 back . i assumeyou are not likekly to be a danger to the public as you can drive upto 3.5ton. do you have regular check ups by your doctor? if you want to p.m. me its ok . its abit complex .:thumb:

OP
OP
T

Tony Folkes

Free Member
Apr 23, 2009
Kempston Bedfrod
Funster No
MH
Coach built on
Exp
10 years
Advice in obtaining G 2 Licence

Hello again VWalan.
Don't know what happened to the first reply to you that I started. It just disapeared into the computer some how ????

Any way I was saying What id P.M. mean I am very new to this and am not familiar with forum abreviations.

Like you I have been driving since childhood. Stole fathers Morris 10 for a joy ride when i was 7 years old. I can slill feel yhe slap he gave me when he eventually caught up with me.

You raise some interesting points that I could take into consideration.

I am 70 and had the G 2 entitlement removed by the DVLA. You have to re apply for this sending medical proof of fittness to drive with the application. As you quite rightly say I have been granted my ordinarry licence which does cover M/cycles by the way.
I have been refused a G 2 on the ground that drivers such as myself who have got an Implanted Cardiac Defibrilator (ICD) are debared from G 2 Enttitlement.
The guide lines state that this is because of the vocational use the licence allows and takes into consideration that a goods vehicle driver spends many hours at the wheel than a car driver. Therefore the stress is greater.

This does not make for good common sence to me having been assesed as being medically fit to use an ordinary licence. As I have said as much in letters to the DVLA.
I stated that they allow me to drive a super car or M/cycle capable of 220 MPH which can reach 70 in some very impressive aewsome 3 seconds ish. The mayhem that could be caused here is mind boggling, but , I am denied the use of my inoffencive motor home which would take a week to get up to that speed. It can however stop very efficiently from that speed.

I have tried quite a few avenues to get them to allow me to drive my motor home but without sucess. The DVLA have taken this enttlement away from me which i have used for many years (Before the ICD) though. They keep comming bak with you do not meet the fittness requirements to be granted a G 2.

I have to say that I have never felt better pysically in all my life as I do now with the ICD.
I have approched our local MP who has replyied with the same format as the DVLA. I would assume that he has looked into the guidelines governing the DVLA fitness to drive requirements.
I am thinking on the lines now of claiming retriction of human rights etc.

You sound like a very interesting exsperienced person to talk to. Any input is most welcome.

Regards
Tony

Can't get spell check to work on this forum page so please accept appologies for terrible spelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The answer appears to be in your own reply, that commercial drivers spend more hours at the wheel. Have the vehicle reclassified as a disability vehicle if possible that would get around the commercial use clause.
In the mean time maybe we should all lobby our MP's for a change in the regulations to cover this stupid anomaly
PM means private message, see top right of your screen. the spell check is the tick with ABC above it and will give instructions as to what and where to download in order to make it work.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

Tony Folkes

Free Member
Apr 23, 2009
Kempston Bedfrod
Funster No
MH
Coach built on
Exp
10 years
G2 Entittlement tale of woe follow up

Hi Roger

Thanks for your input and computer ed. ( Does't seem to work for ME). I lost the first attempt at a reply to you trying to use spell check. As my mate's clever dick son tells us both is "All you have got to do........" Yea Right.

Anyway I have been in deep conversation with Alan (VWALAN) who has has similar dealings with the DVLA. He has given me some good pointers and ideas.

I have to decare that I have an ulterior motive for obtaining a G2 entitlement apart from wishing to conform to the DVLA regulations for my Motor Home.
A G2 entitltement is a passport for me to be granted renewal of my Competition Race licence. The Motor Sports Assosiation's (MSA) use the G2 health requirements as guide lines to grant a race licence. At present I cannot convince either of them that I am fit, well and fully capable of passing their stupid health tests.

This ICD gadget is an advanced form of pacemaker which is supposed to improve the health of the patient and to enhance their Quality of Life and to avert disasters etc. Not cause them. It has got the health bit right as far as I am concerned not the Q of L bit with it's restrictions. It does carry this stigma with it for driving certain types of motor vehicles. I have searched many studies reports and statistic on the Net. and can only find that none of them are conclusive that driving should be restricted for those fitted with an ICD.

I had an ordiance with our locall MP Sat. Am. He listend to my argument and agrees with me. He is to take this up on my behalf and is optomistic of getting a favourable conclusion to my plight. We will see. He has sorted an issue for my daughters local Driving School Association. This took quite some time but my daughter and her fellow driving instructors are impressed with his performance.

Thanks for your interest. I don't think that registering the Motor home as an ivalid vehicle will actually achieve my objective.

Tony

Might not try ABC incase I lose this one, :Eeek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Tony,

Sorry to read of your plight, and I hope that you are soon able to enjoy your MH again.

For your security more than anything else, may I suggest that (using the "edit" button on your previous post), you remove your home phone number as well as your email address.

If unable to, just send a PM to either "Jim" or "Bryan", or put up a general request to them both in the "U shaped lounge" forum.

Best regards,

Jock.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Tony

Dont worry just drive your motorhome and enjoy, theres a lot of people driving big Rv,s 10 ton plus on car licences, and a insurance claim as never been rejected for driving one. The only court case which was cause the man was driving a Monoco Knight which weight 11 ton in the fast lane of the M6 was droped by the crown and the driver only had a car licence, at 70 your lucky to get there so enjoy your motorhome Paul

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi Tony,
I agree with Jock, I would urge you to go back and find the edit button and delete those personal details.

I really find it hard to believe but apparently there are people who deliberately programme their computers to auto scan all public forum messages and pick up telephone numbers and e-mails and sell them to marketing companies and so forth. If you don't remove them you will soon be bombarded with e-mails and phone calls for all sorts of weird stuff which you wouldn't believe anyone with half a brain would want but (allegedly) sells like hot cakes :Cool:

On the spell check thing, I don't use it at all (Can't be bothered :ROFLMAO:) If i write something which looks wrong I just put (Sp.?) after it which (In my mind) says "Look I might have spelled that wrongly but you know what I mean don't you!" so far (after five years on various forums) I've never had any complaints ::bigsmile:

Now, for the subject of your and VWALAN problem I'm sorry to say I have little useful input, I'm about the same age as you and I take medication for high blood pressure, I could I guess be a candidate for an ICD thingy and I'm not happy that I might not be able to drive my MH (When I eventually get it :RollEyes:)

It doesn't sound right that you are barred, in fact it sounds like the DVLA are making a broad brush rule because it's simpler and less work to just say anyone with an ICD thingy can't drive above a certain limit, as you rightly point out the damage and mayhem you could cause with a car or motorcycle is just as great IMO

Hope you get some answers from your MP and please keep us posted on the outcome

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I think the medical rules applied by the DVLA are very unfair.

I am diabetic and OK while on tablets but it effect me if i go on to insulin.

Now I am honest and abide by the law so it means I have restrictions maybe in the future but a drug addict, alcoholic, illegal immigrant or joy rider these rules do not apply and most do not abide by any court restriction if it ever goes to court for the offences committing by them:Doh::RollEyes:

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Accurate advice Paul.
I have heard of several cases where charges against driving motorhomes on a mickey mouse lice have been dropped.

However, on the other end of the seesaw, ticker problems and risk taking make uncomfortable bedfellows.

Even if the risk is perceived rather than actual.

OP
OP
T

Tony Folkes

Free Member
Apr 23, 2009
Kempston Bedfrod
Funster No
MH
Coach built on
Exp
10 years
Tale of Woe and G 2 update

Hi every one who has replied or read my case.

Seems to be a lot of sypathy out there. Thanks. Yes I am lucky to have reached 70 considering I have had 7 major ops since 02. Not all heart related I hasten to add. Most of them were hernias caused by my own stupidity.

Sat 2nd may I had an ordiance with our local MP. He listened intently took onboard my argument about the DVLA restrictions and said he would take this up on my behalf and back me. Keep all of your fingers crossed etc. It could be a good result for nearly every one who has a Motor Home. Also for any of you who might be in or approaching the same situation I am in.

I am sure you all know the DVLA rules (Not exactly sure if they are actually the Law) If anyone wants any info in this area I have become quite an exspert in what the DVLA will allow. I have done much research for studdies and statistics into heart related and other health issues regarding licence entittlements.

Tony :Angry: (Not really more frustrated)

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
How often is your medical please Tony?

And how much do they rip you off please?

OP
OP
T

Tony Folkes

Free Member
Apr 23, 2009
Kempston Bedfrod
Funster No
MH
Coach built on
Exp
10 years
Health problems and Tale of woe

Hi 45eEver.

I'll never get used to using Handles. Reminds me of my Sideband CB days.

How much do they rip me off?

I think you mean the cost of the heath check examination report from the doctor for DVLA G 2 entittlement application. £80 my Doc charges although this depends whether or not you have softish Doctor.

The check up depends on your condition and the DVLA requirements. For an ICD in any case for an ordinary licence every 3 years although in some cases as I said depending on your condition every year. You are expected to pay for your own medical examination.

For my ICD I have a check/monitored every year.

Regards

Tony

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Thanks Tony, big overhead isn't it.
Hanging about for a medical, waiting while the quack holds the power of life and death over you, and then 80 quid adding insult to injury.

I know what you mean about handles.
I started them with the Mob, and have used them off and on ever since, so I'm pretty used to them, but they are uncomfortable.
In the Mob, we were supposed to change them daily, and some of them were pretty stupid.

Anyhow, good luck with your MP Tony.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back