Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Following the changes to the Astra 2S satellite last month, the auto tracking on my KVH Dome has been an issue, but the work around of selecting BBC1 before tuning unit on has worked.

Today, having not much else to do, I found the techicnal info sheet on the C A Clase web site. A very simple and informative document.

Having downloaded the Hyperterminal software from the web (free of charge) and using the USB to serial port convertor I had lying around the house, I have updated the configuration settings of the dome.

Total time taken from start to finish, including research, downloading and installing the software was less than an hour. Cost savings was £25 most dealers charge for this service and the time and cost of a return journey to the dealers, which in my case is 3hrs travelling and £30 plus in fuel.

A good job done all round.

If anyone needs more info on how easy the update is to do yourself, please ask.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Yes please but first I need to buy the attachment to do the uplink which is what exactly?
I was at the Newbury rally and had to ask Vanbitz for the work-around as the old work-around was not playing very well.
Must you have to use a PC or will a MacBook still work?
Many thanks for any help received.
Steve(y)

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Hi,

The USB to Serial Convertor can be purchased from many places , including the ever popular fleabay Broken Link Removed

The guidance sheet is available at https://caclase.wordpress.com/ OR https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ohubf1il0ehoto/TracVisionLM_FECupdate_230415.pdf?dl=0

As can be seen in the instructions, you can use a PC or MAC, but I used a PC.

The software was Hyperterminal was downloaded from the web (Free). This is for a PC, but TerminalLite is the MAC version. Just make sure that the serial convertor works or find an old mac with a serial output.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
Hi folks I have been lurking about for a while and have decided to join in.
So my tracvision r4 has been working OK when using the select bbc1 then turn on the dish workaround, but this week the dish will not lock on at all.should the workaround still work or am I going to need to do the update? I have checked all connection so I think it must be the dish.
I am using it with avtex TV with built in satellite.
Thank you,Steven..

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
Hi,I am having trouble using the hyperterminal to connect.can I instead use the kvh flash wizard for the same thing.thanks.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Never heard or used the kWh flash wizard. I used the hyper terminal without any problems. I just followed the guide as in first post. Are you sure that your serial port is configured correctly on your computer?

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
Hi,no idea if the port is setup properly, I tried with a serial-usb connector which nay be the problem.
The serial Conn on computer is 15 pin.I have ordered a 15pin to 9 pin cable which should be here tomorrow.
I downloaded hyperterminal from hilgraeve.com.was that right?
When I get the cable should it really be plug and play? Thanks,steven.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
The usb to serial connector is plug and play ( auto download of driver). You can check its configuration in device manager). I'll check where I got my hyper terminal from when I get home this evening

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
just had a look at the download, and it says the 4rsl (which is the model i have) tune into bbc1 and then wait untill the unit locks on, my unit is not locking onto anything at all i thought it could be a tree line blocking the signal, but i tried up on a hill with a clear line and the sat wont lock on, to me this is a complete load of junk. could have saved money and bought a manual setup.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just had a look at the download, and it says the 4rsl (which is the model i have) tune into bbc1 and then wait untill the unit locks on, my unit is not locking onto anything at all i thought it could be a tree line blocking the signal, but i tried up on a hill with a clear line and the sat wont lock on, to me this is a complete load of junk. could have saved money and bought a manual setup.
I'm also having problems locking onto the satellite, but I don't think it's KVH domes fault, it's because they've been doing work on satellite. I used to use transponder number 12207 27500 but this doesn't seem to work now, have also tried BBC1 10773 22000 with no luck. Hopefully they will come up with a suitable work around.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
thats ok if they fix it soon otherwise its just a piece of junk stuck on the roof,

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
Got mine sorted yesterday, the guy had a few problems and had to do a complete sowtware reset and updated to the latest software from kvh.all is working as it should now.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Kvh domes are no different to other sat systems - if sky mess about with channels it effects them all.

The support pages on the c a clase web page are good and the info is correct. If you have problems try giving them a ring. I have done this in the past and their technical support is fantastic. They can even send out a remote unit which they can dial into and reprogramme unit over the mobile network.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I contacted CA Classe and they sent a link to their update pages and the work round on there said select BBC 1 before turning dome on but this didn't work for me, so I will have to get the dome updated.
Negel&debbie what's the remote unit you mention, I would have ago at doing it myself but I'm using Mac and not found how to do it with it.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
I contacted CA Classe and they sent a link to their update pages and the work round on there said select BBC 1 before turning dome on but this didn't work for me, so I will have to get the dome updated.
Negel&debbie what's the remote unit you mention, I would have ago at doing it myself but I'm using Mac and not found how to do it with it.
If you ring c a clase they can send out a remote modem that you plug into the kvh panel. They then ring it direct from their factory and adjust settings. There can be a small charge for this service but when compared to diesel costs to return to a dealer etc. it can be big saving

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you ring c a clase they can send out a remote modem that you plug into the kvh panel. They then ring it direct from their factory and adjust settings. There can be a small charge for this service but when compared to diesel costs to return to a dealer etc. it can be big saving
Ok thanks for that, I will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say.
Cheers

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I contacted CAClase and unfortunately they no longer do the smart key and you have to go to a dealer :(
Thanks for that anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back