internet access - caravanconnect (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Just used this to access internet whilst staying at a campsite in Ely.
Cost £5 for 24hrs but is only £65 for whole year. Will be good when more sites are signed up as only a few at moment.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Just used this to access internet whilst staying at a campsite in Ely.
Cost £5 for 24hrs but is only £65 for whole year. Will be good when more sites are signed up as only a few at moment.

Sounds like a ripoff to me, I do it for nothing!

Doug...

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Please tell us doug, if not using wireless access from someone that doesn't know, how do you do it for free?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Please tell us doug, if not using wireless access from someone that doesn't know, how do you do it for free?

By free access from hotel, cafes, council libraries, council offices and many more.

Doug.

PS I don't like your insinuations.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Any secure wireless net access can be hacked.............don't matter how much protection or locking programs you have against it..............I'm not saying how but you will find the answer if you google it :winky:

Boo

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Any secure wireless net access can be hacked.............don't matter how much protection or locking programs you have against it..............I'm not saying how but you will find the answer if you google it :winky:

Boo
Probably true - but I suspect you need a lot more knowledge that how to use Google. The ability to hack WEP protected WiFi has been around for some time - but it needs a a fair bit of sophisticated hacking ability and is certainly beyond me :Sad:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
WiFi

I've been told that wifi is free at McDonalds but have't tried it as I dont eat junk food. Mind I'd give it a try if it is free!!:thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years

Boo

Only WEP encrypted networks, but they deserve to get cracked as its well known as insecure :ROFLMAO:

Unless you manage to "guess" the password to a WPA encrypted network then you haven't a hope of hacking it in your lifetime :winky:

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've been told that wifi is free at McDonalds but have't tried it as I dont eat junk food. Mind I'd give it a try if it is free!!:thumb:

Used it a lot in France earlier this year - and I have to admit to having had a burger in one, worse still I actually enjoyed it :Blush: Please don't tell my son - he'll never speak to me again !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only WEP encrypted networks, but they deserve to get cracked as its well known as insecure :ROFLMAO:

Unless you manage to "guess" the password to a WPA encrypted network then you haven't a hope of hacking it in your lifetime :winky:

i use WPA encryption but i dont use a password.......i use the original , modem generated,28 digit code.........no chance of 'guessing' that:winky:

or is there?

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
i use WPA encryption but i dont use a password.......i use the original , modem generated,28 digit code.........no chance of 'guessing' that:winky:

or is there?

Provided its a random enough passphrase then no, it would take far too long to try to brute force it.

www.grc.com/passwords.htm if you want really secure pass phrases, just don't try to commit it to memory as it will drive you insane trying :Eeek:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
No wireless network is secure regardless of the encryption used. Yes some are harder to crack than others but its by no means difficult, in fact anyone with a laptop and a bit of none windows software can do it. The trick is not to try and "guess" the password but to get the network to reveal it to you. Usually takes about 5-15 mins. :Eeek:

My advice is to secure your network using MAC codes. These are machine dedicated registration numbers. The only machines allowed on the network are machines with MAC codes already registered to the network. :thumb:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
French Maccas have free unlimited WiFi and you can normally find a parking spot close enough to surf from your motorhome. Spanish ones give you 30 minutes if you buy something.

We don't use campsites a lot, but when we do, we choose only those who give us free WiFi. Plenty in the CampingCard list and their camping rates are reasonable as well.

I have to check when we get back to Germany, but was told that German T mobile network have a dongle and plan that allows access all across Europe and Turkey as well. Sounds too good to be true but maybe not. The same bloke has a AOL Sat system - two -way satellite internet using a manually set up 30cm dish. Works all over the world (well, except for australia) and costs about 750 Euros per year unlimited access.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
was told that German T mobile network have a dongle and plan that allows access all across Europe and Turkey as well.

Can't confirm, but as far as I know, TMobile is German owned and I read somewhere that you can use your UK TMobile sim in Germany at UK rates .. including data.

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
By free access from hotel, cafes, council libraries, council offices and many more.

Doug.

PS I don't like your insinuations.

What "insinuations" would they be Doug? I asked, other than get it from unsecured private networks where else do you get it free? It was a straight question, no incinuation was implied.

P.S. Keep your hair on.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
No wireless network is secure regardless of the encryption used. Yes some are harder to crack than others but its by no means difficult, in fact anyone with a laptop and a bit of none windows software can do it. The trick is not to try and "guess" the password but to get the network to reveal it to you. Usually takes about 5-15 mins. :Eeek:

My advice is to secure your network using MAC codes. These are machine dedicated registration numbers. The only machines allowed on the network are machines with MAC codes already registered to the network. :thumb:

I am not going to break down how wrong most of this post is completely incorrect. Sorry if that comes across as arrogant, but a lot of my IT background is in security.

WEP can be cracked in under 2 minutes now. Thats a fact. WPA on the other hand with a strong password cannot be cracked in our lifetime unless you stumble on guessing the password.

As for MAC lock downs. the MAC address is broadcast in the clear in the packet header. Otherwise the whole fundamentals of IP fall over. Its and extra piece of light security, but anyone who knows what they are doing can capture and spoof the MAC in seconds.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I am not going to break down how wrong most of this post is completely incorrect. Sorry if that comes across as arrogant, but a lot of my IT background is in security.

WEP can be cracked in under 2 minutes now. Thats a fact. WPA on the other hand with a strong password cannot be cracked in our lifetime unless you stumble on guessing the password.

As for MAC lock downs. the MAC address is broadcast in the clear in the packet header. Otherwise the whole fundamentals of IP fall over. Its and extra piece of light security, but anyone who knows what they are doing can capture and spoof the MAC in seconds.

Yep, got to agree with everything you're saying. I'm also heavily involved with IT security and just finished bringing our systems up to CoCo requirements.

Are we losing sight of what it is we're trying to protect? We're home users for goodness sake, why would a hacker waste his time trying to gain access to our systems?
Unless you're absolutely paranoid the best option for home users is WPA-PSK. It's very similar to home security. You're unlikely to be able to afford to stop those that are determined to break in so for most people it's a case of stopping the opportunistic visitors.

Regards
Doug

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Used it a lot in France earlier this year - and I have to admit to having had a burger in one, worse still I actually enjoyed it :Blush: Please don't tell my son - he'll never speak to me again !!

The French burgers use a far higher quality beef than the English McD.burger flipping joints! I eat the French and use the English as wheel levellers...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Yup, I reported it as well.
These spammers are becoming such a pain, It's a constant battle to stop them. On my site I've put precautions in place to stop the auto-bots and new users can't use send PM or emails. I'd much rather spend my time developing new features!

Regards
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back