Towing A Micro Car ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Recently bought our motor home. Its not a huge one as I didn't want a great big thing to drive around in and wanted one that I can get into reasonable parking spaces.

But my thoughts are turning towards towing a very small and by that I mean as small a car as is practical being the MH on an A frame .

A motorbike would have been ace but my wife who is disabled can no longer ride on the back of even a big luxury scooter.

I fancied one of those mad but attractive Renault Twizzys but it has restricted range and I would have to enter into a contract for the hire of a battery. Not on..

Next up is a Smart for 2 . I have absolutely no idea about these wee cars . The other wee car that looks good is the Renault Twingo.

This is a car for getting around when away. I'm not looking for anything super well equipped or fancy just a really cheap to run and insure car as we have 4 vehicles here already so a fifth is stretching it a bit.

So at the moment a Smart for two is on pole position but suggestions on alternatives would really help !

So how many of you tow these wee car ? Pros and cons ?

What is roughly the cost of fitting a small car with the A bar kit ? I realise a tow bar will need to be fitted but that is no problem.

Thanks.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I tow a Daewoo matiz, small enough to get into most parking spaces, AND light enough not to be too noticeable when hooked up being Hymer.
was told by A frame supplier and fitter not to go for either Ford KA or the chev version of the matiz, as there wasn't enough metal/strength to accept towing fittings; My A frame is by Unibrake.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We wanted something to get us about on the few occasions that we needed transport, was seriously looking at quad bike and trailer when the M/H dealership that I worked in at the time had a Smart For2 cabrio come in on part ex. I loved it and after buying a Brian James trailer we have used it both in the UK and abroad. We don't take it every time we are away, only when we think we will need it. I know that Smarts are automotive Marmite so its best if you try one out first.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My A frame is by Unibrake.

which ... Utilises towed vehicle manufacturer's own towing points..

Broken Link Removed

I made this comment on the other A frame thread.. Broken Link Removed

Some years ago an A frame failed and the car went off the road.. luckily no one was killed .. The A frame used the towing eye + another eye fitted by the installer..

Towing eyes were never designed for road towing with an A frame, .. they are fitted to enable the car to be lashed to cargo decks and containers.. and for straight line pull recovery with a rope or towing pole.. they are not designed to take the lateral forces an A frame exerts on them ..

That company is still in business, and still selling frames that use the towing eye .

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Sorry Jim, but you are wrong on that point, vehicle towing eye, (one only on front is no way strong enough to use)
Fixings (screwed threads to accept removable jaws) are made in subframe, hence my comments on the advice I was given by unibrake, NOT to buy either a KA OR the Chevrolet version of the Matiz as in their experience there was no way they could fit kit to either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
God when I read the title, I thought someone was actually entertaining the thought of purchasing a Micro Car, vile hateful things!!! :D
Lots of people use Smarties on here, in fact it is high up on the list of new purchases for our van! They do exactly what it says on the tin, move 2 people around, with almost no frills. That's about it, but what more do you need?
There is also the Mitsubishi I, but that is now only available as an electric vehicle. Older one had a petrol variant.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I'll throw my 2p into the ring for what it's worth...

Found myself in the same position as the OP. M'home was too big to comfortably take into small places so the mobility options came into play - scooters, small cars, A frames and trailers.

Scooters swiftly got binned, two small hounds as well as my wife saw to that. A frames were not compatable with European travelling as the authorities don't like them - and as recent threads are showing, it seems small cars tend to come apart when being dragged around on A frames!

In the end, we chose the ubiquitous Smart for 2 and a second hand Woodford Smart car trailer.
We looked at several small cars that we thought might suit but the Smartie fitted our needs to a T. Deceptively spacious for driver and passenger, the two dinky sized hounds are happy in the luggage compartment and pretty inexpensive to insure and tax. More than capable of holding its own in traffic and perfect for nipping around, exploring and buying the forgotten groceries.

The diesel version is a slug and I would not have been happy with it. There is a version with a stop start feature called MHD, the advice given to us, including one Smart dealer was AVOID. Google the issues!
Ours isn't particularly frugal - we bought the turbo version, not deliberately, but the colour, condition and history was right. Enough mod-cons to make it liveable with, glass roof, air con, leccy windows etc. Semi manual or auto box modes take a little getting used to, but nothing too daunting.

Others may have different opinions - those are mine!

Good luck with whatever you choose:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'll throw my 2p into the ring for what it's worth...

Found myself in the same position as the OP. M'home was too big to comfortably take into small places so the mobility options came into play - scooters, small cars, A frames and trailers.

Scooters swiftly got binned, two small hounds as well as my wife saw to that. A frames were not compatable with European travelling as the authorities don't like them - and as recent threads are showing, it seems small cars tend to come apart when being dragged around on A frames!

In the end, we chose the ubiquitous Smart for 2 and a second hand Woodford Smart car trailer.
We looked at several small cars that we thought might suit but the Smartie fitted our needs to a T. Deceptively spacious for driver and passenger, the two dinky sized hounds are happy in the luggage compartment and pretty inexpensive to insure and tax. More than capable of holding its own in traffic and perfect for nipping around, exploring and buying the forgotten groceries.

The diesel version is a slug and I would not have been happy with it. There is a version with a stop start feature called MHD, the advice given to us, including one Smart dealer was AVOID. Google the issues!
Ours isn't particularly frugal - we bought the turbo version, not deliberately, but the colour, condition and history was right. Enough mod-cons to make it liveable with, glass roof, air con, leccy windows etc. Semi manual or auto box modes take a little getting used to, but nothing too daunting.

Others may have different opinions - those are mine!

Good luck with whatever you choose:)

well at least you can use it all over Europe without issues....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know this is contentious.. and not aimed at anyone in particular.. but for some, a car and caravan would be a far better choice...

When we had the three kids, we toured extensively abroad with a twin axle Lunar .. only downside for me would not being able to use aires.. and wild camp.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I know this is contentious.. and not aimed at anyone in particular.. but for some, a car and caravan would be a far better choice...

When we had the three kids, we toured extensively abroad with a twin axle Lunar .. only downside for me would not being able to use aires.. and wild camp.

And that's a question I keep asking myself for our particular needs; still I've made my choice and have to live with the limitations that arise - and work around them.
Fairly certain too that had I opted for the caravan, I'd still be asking a similar question!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
WHY ???

I had two in the past and vowed never again.......circumstances change and we now tow a caravan.

Just not for me mate.. I was originally reluctant to have an MH.. But Im enjoying it very much so far. Maybe its the thought of towing and all the messing around setting up.. Just not for me ...

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
sorry.. confused by you're reply

on which point ?

the manufactures towing eye is used.. that's what it says on the Unibrake site

Well its certainly Was Not used when my matiz was fitted up with Unibrake system :) Apart from it not being beefy enough, (small towing eye bolt on matiz) it was also to 'inboard' to be used...so, as I said in last post, new screw thread fittings were used and this is what I screw towing jaws into before attaching a frame.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back