Spongy brakes on Talbot J5 (1 Viewer)

B

Bronnie

Deleted User
The brakes on my 1988 Talbot have been very spongy for several years. I have had new vacuum servo and rubber hose, master cylinder, brake discs, brakes re bled and checked several times; they have passed MOT at least twice, and they don`t leak fluid. I know limitations but stranger would probably go through the first hedge. Are the brakes always like this on this breed, or am I missing something? i am sure the brakes were firm when I first bought it 4 years ago. I first noticed it when trying to stop at bottom of a steep road in the middle of Birmingham! My hair is still greyer than it used to be.:cry:
Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Just a thought ..have you renewed the flexible brake pipe on each brake ?

Bruce Burge

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Isle of Wight Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25 years
The brakes on my 1988 Talbot have been very spongy for several years. I have had new vacuum servo and rubber hose, master cylinder, brake discs, brakes re bled and checked several times; they have passed MOT at least twice, and they don`t leak fluid. I know limitations but stranger would probably go through the first hedge. Are the brakes always like this on this breed, or am I missing something? i am sure the brakes were firm when I first bought it 4 years ago. I first noticed it when trying to stop at bottom of a steep road in the middle of Birmingham! My hair is still greyer than it used to be.:cry:
Thanks
Hi there have a look at rear wheel cylds possible leak,check front calipers for possible leak past pistons,if all ok check colour of brake fluid if dirty and discoloured possible master cyld fault.Brake fluid gets very hot and expands cools down and water forms causing brake fade,Hence hydraulic hand brakes rely on mechanical back up ie cable opperated.Normal every day brake may not be up to the job on a heavy motor home,dot 5 is what most rally cars ect use as it has a higer opperating tempreture,and brake fade is not an issue. Also check bulkhead where pedal connects to master cyld possibly fractured will move when brake applied.Hope this helps Reguards Bruce:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bronnie

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies, but as stated, brakes have been bled and fluid renewed several times, brand new Master Cylinder and servo fitted; except for fluid change etc, the reservoir as never ever needed topping up so there is no leaks. As far as I can gather only the master cylinder can leak past it`s seals and be sucked back, thus no change of fluid level. My mechanic is mystified [ but most are], and I am too when I read the bill and nothing is any better. I plan to renew all wheel cylinders etc before next MOT. One thought is that there may be a leak in the inlet manifold, but it is a sod to get at in these vans.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bruce Burge

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Isle of Wight Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25 years
Hi there have a look at rear wheel cylds possible leak,check front calipers for possible leak past pistons,if all ok check colour of brake fluid if dirty and discoloured possible master cyld fault.Brake fluid gets very hot and expands cools down and water forms causing brake fade,Hence hydraulic hand brakes rely on mechanical back up ie cable opperated.Normal every day brake may not be up to the job on a heavy motor home,dot 5 is what most rally cars ect use as it has a higer opperating tempreture,and brake fade is not an issue. Also check bulkhead where pedal connects to master cyld possibly fractured will move when brake applied.Hope this helps Reguards Bruce:thumb:
Hi there try pumping brake pedal if pressure is better and stays hard it is either air in system or rear brake ajustment. Check rear drums may be worn to excess if they are oringinal. As for leak in inlet manifold (induction leak) engine will idle rough and will sound like a missfire till you increase engine revs,if your unsure spray wd 40 or duck oil around manifold gaskit areas if engine revs rise then you have an induction leak.I know you have blead brakes numorious times ,has your mechanic got a numatic bleed kit, if not see if you can borrow one and try again if you think its air in system.If he has fitted a mondeo,vectra, peugeot, corsa clutch,they are baskets to bleed.Reguards Bruce

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back