Coat Hangers And Clothes Fall Off Of Rail, Any Ideas. (1 Viewer)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
A couple of times during the last trip all the clothes and coat hangers fell of the clothes rail, I realised it only happensd when I went over a bump in the road so it's my fault, but does anyone do anything other than go slow over these bumps to stop it happening ?
Etap

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Copied.. don't know if it works

When hanging clothing in the motorhome wardrobe, place one coat hanger over the rail in one direction and the next in the other direction, and so on. This stops the coat hangers jumping off the rail when the motorhome’s in transit.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We had same problem, Bev now takes more clothes :D:D

Plus and more seriously, we hang up more things, like a couple of jumpers to pad out the hanging space, things only fall off now when we forget to pack to full

When empty, I am always aware of the crashing hangers when I drive say for a service (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Copied.. don't know if it works

: When hanging clothing in the motorhome wardrobe, place one coat hanger over the rail in one direction and the next in the other direction, and so on. This stops the coat hangers jumping off the rail when the motorhome’s in transit.

that is interesting, I presume it means the direction of the hook over the rail, although if using wooden hangers, as we do, the shape of them would also fill the space better (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Similar to David's answer. Our wardrobe is small so is easily filled sufficiently to stop hangers jumping. I'm sure I saw something recently about using a rubber band round hook and rail to stop them falling off but can't remember where at the moment.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Elastic band on the hook. Place hanger on rail and then bring band under rail to hook onto end of hook - it sounded better in my head!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Elastic band on the hook. Place hanger on rail and then bring band under rail to hook onto end of hook - it sounded better in my head!
Beat me to it. I just found the letter in the July 2015 C&CC magazine which gives a similar method:
Loop an elastic band round the hook of the clothes hanger; put the hanger on the rail; stretch the band across the hook from neck to tip, closing the gap and securing the hook to the rail.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
This is one way elastic band as previously mentioned
IMG_20150712_103809564.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Easiest, quickest and cheapest solution. No faffing around with rubber bands, foam insulation, etc, etc, etc, ..........

Place the required items on the appropriate number of clothes hangers.
Manufactured from any material is normally acceptable however wood and shaped plastic ones tend to be heavier so the "velvet" covered ones as sold on occasions in Aldi and \ or Lidl are recommended.
Once all items are on the hangers open wardrobe door and throw all hangers, including the garments, onto the floor therein.
Close wardrobe door.
Drive off to destination.
Upon arrival, open wardrobe door again and remove hangers \ garments and place on wardrobe rail.
See, easy, simple, etc, etc, .....

However there is a school of thought that says don't put the garments on the hangers prior to departure, just throw them into the wardrobe and place them on the hangers upon arrival.

Your choice though.

As an aside, the garment I seem to have most problems with using the above solution is my straight jacket!:sleep::sleep::sleep:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I went with the foam lagging in my old van.. Worked for years.. New van not so much an issue..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seriously though, put a small hook at either end of the rail directly above the securing points, use either a small bungee cord or some elastic, or even a piece of net curtain wire with eyelets on the end, and attach each end to the hooks, making sure it is quite taut ... when you put your hangers on slot them under the wire/elastic etc and they won't come off then!

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
A couple of times during the last trip all the clothes and coat hangers fell of the clothes rail, I realised it only happensd when I went over a bump in the road so it's my fault, but does anyone do anything other than go slow over these bumps to stop it happening ?
Etap

IF your rail is the round variety take it out of the mountings, measure a length of waste water plastic hose (ribbed) pass the rail through it make sure that the internal diameter is as near as the rail's outside dia' then buy yourself some hangers that are treated with garment anti slip coating and that the 'hook' fits within the hose's rib.( hangers are usually metal) that should sort your problem out we have done this to two MH's completely sorted the problem !!

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Gellyneck,
Now I have my straight jacket off, perhaps I will try chucking all the clothes in and just wear what I have on when going away, after all that seems to be what happens anyway, good idea.
Etap

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We use the cable tidy used to tidy computer cables and the like, works for us.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Gellyneck,
Now I have my straight jacket off, perhaps I will try chucking all the clothes in and just wear what I have on when going away, after all that seems to be what happens anyway, good idea.
Etap
See, easiest solutions are always the best (well, according to my warder)!:mad:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Or main wardrobe has plenty of stuff hanging.. As above.. It doesn't fall off of its packed in.. Don't remember anything ever falling off tbh.

Reactions: DBK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A thin elasticated cord or bungie wrapped in a long spiral along the rail.

Hook the hangers between rail and bungie.

You can even buy the rail ready made....i just havent found it yet.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used to use the elastic band idea on previous vans, but most things we take are now foldable and go in a locker or on a shelf. In the winter, we take big coats and if we do hang them up, they are so bulky, they stay put.
I guess where your wardrobe is can have an effect on whether things stay put. We can travel miles with a couple of empty hangers or a couple of Mrs A's cashmere cardies on hangers and they never fall off. Our wardrobe is just in front of the rear axle. Maybe a rear bedroom designed van has more wardrobe movement and encourages hangers to bounce around more

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
An idea occurred to me as I read the thread, and it's not something I have tried as we don't have a problem ourselves, but you could try putting your hanging clothes in suit bags, lay them on the bed whilst travelling and then simply hang the bags in the wardrobe on arrival? Just a thought.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
No problems since I covered the hanging rail with a bicycle inner tube with the inner radius of the tube on the underside of the rail so the tube wrinkles on the top. These wrinkles grip the hangers and prevent them jumping around. Well, it works for me!

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
As others have said, foam pipe lagging is a cheap fit-and-forget option. Have used it successfully for many years on both caravans and now our motorhome.(y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Many moons ago, I used to work for a hotel chain, and when I left, I pinched some of the stuff that they had. Along with it, were a load of the hangers, the kind that ironically hotels use to stop you pinching the hangers! It wasn't until we got the camper that I found a use for them, they are now installed in our wardrobe.
I imagine that you could find a supplier for this kind of hanger, and I doubt they are too expensive.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had this problem all the time. Now, we travel naked. We find that it solves the clothes falling of problem, and makes you loads of new friends. :)
May I just point out that the fact that somebody screams loudly and runs in the opposite direction isn't universally acknowledged as a sign of friendship (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back