Thinking of buying 1st MH (1 Viewer)

Rallyman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2009
Warrington, Cheshire
Funster No
Hi everyone :Smile:
Just started the long search for our 1st MH. Never had one before but I we are retiring next month and have decided to spend some of the children's inheritance!!
We are looking to spend max £17000 and have already visited 2 or 3 dealers locally.
We are thinking of visiting Peterborough at the weekend but as it's a 3 hour drive we are wondering if there will be a sufficient no of used vehicles there to make the trip worthwhile. Any views?
This is question number one, I am sure I will have many others:shout:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There is also a show at Newbury in May and one at Stratford upon Avon in June.

We are going just for the day on saturday and its just over a 2hr drive each way for us.

When we were looking for our first motorhome we visited sales rooms but found the motorhome shows far more informative.

There is always a vast array of mhs from dealers which you can look round and "try out" internally.

Whatever you do, make sure the internal layout is what you want, and that the beds are comfortable and the right size for you. They may look big, but not all are xxxx

We took time to speak to people who were "camping on site" to find out real views, many let us look inside at the different styles.

Additionally although at the shows private people are not supposed to advertise their homes for sale, there are often private mhs for sale, some even park in the day visiting area having visited for the day.

If you are likely to be travelling around London and other areas where the low emission zone regulations will come into force, ensure your vehicle is LEZ compliant. TFL have a website where you can type in the registration number to check.

Dont let anyone pressure you into a sale on the day xxxx

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Whatever you buy, if it is from a dealer, make sure that after sales service is good in case of problems.

Good luck in your search.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Hi,

Whatever you buy, if it is from a dealer, make sure that after sales service is good in case of problems.

Good luck in your search.

Peter

Sorry but I've got ask this one..... make sure that after sales service is good in case of problems. so how do you do that then I'd love to know the answer to that one.:ROFLMAO:

Lets be really honest your only ever going to find out " how good the dealer back up is " after you buy and discover you have problems and thats when the fun begins.
but I like to hear your take on things peter.

Pete.

Upvote 0

Tom 46

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi Rallyman. Nowhere better than one of the shows if you are thinking of buying a motorhome, and you'll find just about every make and model on display which should give you good idea what type will suit your needs. Saying that, I also suggest you use this opportunity only to find a shortlist of vans that interest you and leave any purchasing to a later date. This gives you plenty of time to consider your options, compare prices, and lessens the chance of what can turn out to be a rather expensive mistake.
My own choice would then be to buy from a reputable dealer as close to home as possible. Not much fun having to travel halfway across the country to have any faults put right and gives you the chance to build up a good relationship re. any future purchases.
Plenty of well looked after low milage vans about, and with no part exchange you should be able to get a decent discount as well, so take your time and make sure the deal suits you and not the dealer.
Obviously your budget means buying a van that might be several years old, and my main concern would be water ingress, so perhaps you should look at the Autosleeper range of one piece grp motorhomes that will virtually eliminate this problem. Good selection of layouts and base vehicles and a reputation for quality throughout, but whatever you decide do try to give yourself some before signing on the dotted line. That 'perfect van' will still be there the following day, and after a good nights sleep you will be a lot surer of what you really want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rallyman

Rallyman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2009
Warrington, Cheshire
Funster No
Tom

Thanks for that. Funilly enough I had already started being drawn to the Autosleeper range. As far as a " good discount" is concerned last week I was offered (without any actual haggleing) a discount of £750 on a £17000 vehicle. I thought this a bit low what do you think?

John

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi John.:thumb:

I agree with Tom Autosleepers GRP do tend to be a good bet. If you are looking at these check around the windows as this is one of the few places they can leak, also around roof vents, although the bodies don't leak, sometimes they can leak at holes for windows etc. Older Autosleepers do seem to be built better than the more modern vintage. Remember that Autosleepers do tend to hold their value more than some vans.

Sometimes haggeling can get the price down but it will depend on the dealer,sometimes it is easier to get things like fuel, gas, tax, or accessecories, but in the present climate who knows.

But check around till you get a feel for what to expect eg age, condition, and mileage for the price.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 46

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi John, and let me pick up on Dave's 'resale value' first. Something you might not have thought of before but no problem here as any well looked after Autosleeper will not only hold its value better than more obscure makes, but will also prove easier to sell due to its reputation.
£750 discount as a opening offer does'nt sound to bad and seems to suggest a little bit more give if you really push it, but as with any second hand van condition will dictate the value and would be more than happy to pay the full asking price for the right one with low mileage and in tip top state throughout.
Sorry to keep banging on about this, but for any older van condition and low mileage must be your main consideration. Plenty of used Autosleepers out there, and why settle for second best when for most owners their van really is their 'pride and joy', and these are the ones you should be looking out for.
All good advice, but our final choice always comes down to the wife's choice of colour and interior decor. :Smile:
Let us know how you get on.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back