Help - Which Fire Extinguisher (1 Viewer)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I'm confused (easy done these days) - I'm looking to put a single fire extinguisher in my van but can't decide which type. I have read previous posts on the matter and googled the subject but there appears to be some contradictory advice.
Current thought is not to go for powder because of the mess and am thinking that foam is the best option, but others have mentioned CO2.

Professional opinion sought please. I only have a 6 metre PVC so space etc is an issue, hence only wanting to carry one unit. Also in the heat of the moment (no pun intended) I wouldn't want to think which I had to use!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Current thought is not to go for powder because of the mess

that's the least of your worries.. fire is a bigger mess...

2kg Dry powder... it is safe on all classes of fires.. and also has fire suppression qualities after the flames are out..

CO2.. for use in unoccupied enclosed spaces, with automatic delude systems.. typical use electrical sub stations.. generator enclosures , engine houses, computer rooms etc .. if used in a van you may be suffocated. It has no after fire suppression.

AFFF is generally used for hydrocarbon fuel fires.. for example, crashed aircraft fire fighting, expensive and requires training to use correctly ..

On site , a a bucket of water by the hab door .. can be used to dowse a BBQ or grass fire

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Should always be dry powder and should only be used to save life and limb not alloy and GRP. If you need to put a fire out the mess is irrelevant

Other useful thing as said is a bucket of water and also a fire blanket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Having read all the threads about fire extinguishers on here,the main thing mentioned by all of the above and a few more posters has been..."Get Out".
A piece of advice i have heeded,(Among many on here LOL) Locate it by the door,which i have,reason ?. Get out,then you can operate your extinguisher at will. Thanks for the information given to me on this forum.
Tea Bag
PS. Will,will not be pleased when you empty your ext, on him,so be prepared to RUN!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having read all the threads about fire extinguishers on here,the main thing mentioned by all of the above and a few more posters has been..."Get Out".

good advice.. call the Fire Service.. never stay behind to fight a fire.. a 2kg extinguisher discharge is only 14 seconds..

however, most fires start off small and if tackled quickly can avert a major disaster.. as mentioned.. a fire blanket is also useful, especially for cooker fires.. frying pans etc

also.. hopefully you never need.. but you may be able to help a fellow vanner or assist at a road accident vehicle fire.. but never ever put yourself at risk..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi carol..I've covered my thoughts on this in at least one previous thread.. not everyone agreed but ill say it again you can't go far wrong with a foam type like afff.. as long as it isn't aspirated and applied as a spray...
Far more effective than all the others and the only one you will need...
It provides cooling which dp and co2 don't. .
Ta andy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ill say it again you can't go far wrong with a foam type like afff..

http://www.fire-riskassessment.com/types-of-fire-extinguisher.html

AFFF can be used in any situation where you would normally use a water extinguisher,
  • Can be used on the same sort of fires as the water extinguishers, and also on flammable liquids, such as oils and petrol, etc. Particularly suitable for petrol and diesel fires.
  • While these fire extinguishers are good for flammable liquids, they are NOT suitable for fires in deep fat fryers.
also

not meant to be used directly on electrical fires.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
http://www.fire-riskassessment.com/types-of-fire-extinguisher.html

AFFF can be used in any situation where you would normally use a water extinguisher,
  • Can be used on the same sort of fires as the water extinguishers, and also on flammable liquids, such as oils and petrol, etc. Particularly suitable for petrol and diesel fires.
  • While these fire extinguishers are good for flammable liquids, they are NOT suitable for fires in deep fat fryers.
also

not meant to be used directly on electrical fires.

Hi Jim. We covered this in the last thread...Some afff extinguishers have passed a test and are suitable for use on live electrics... There most probably is no single one that ticks all the boxes in every situation but will say it again. Years of training merchant navy in among other things the use of extinguishers lead me to the conclusion that if I had to pick one for most situations ,and be effective it would be that type... ie afff spray.
Ta Andy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim. We covered this in the last thread...Some afff extinguishers have passed a test and are suitable for use on live electrics... There most probably is no single one that ticks all the boxes in every situation but will say it again. Years of training merchant navy in among other things the use of extinguishers lead me to the conclusion that if I had to pick one for most situations ,and be effective it would be that type... ie afff spray.
Ta Andy.

absolutely correct Andy

have used AFFF and it is great for hydrocarbon fires and aircraft fuel fires... we practised putting crude oil fires out at Montrose Offshore Fire fighting school with AFFF .. it's quite impressive.

but my conclusion was that Dry Powder was the best all rounder for a motor home..

important thing, whether AFFF or dry power is chosen, that the person has been trained or at least has some experience and understands how to use it.. much like a First Aid kit.

problem is, not many people have that experiencing or opportunity..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
absolutely correct Andy

have used AFFF and it is great for hydrocarbon fires and aircraft fuel fires... we practised putting crude oil fires out at Montrose Offshore Fire fighting school with AFFF .. it's quite impressive.

but my conclusion was that Dry Powder was the best all rounder for a motor home..

important thing, whether AFFF or dry power is chosen, that the person has been trained or at least has some experience and understands how to use it.. much like a First Aid kit.

problem is, not many people have that experiencing or opportunity..

I think we are singing from the same song sheet just a differing opinion ...
The problem I see with the popular choice is the high chance of reigniting. .. especially once you have a bit of heat built up... its that guaranteed that we used to be able to demonstrate it at will when using dp or co2 as opposed to foam afff water spray etc..
Anyway I've said enough and hope carol isn't too confused lol
Ta Andy.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I recently had a habitation check on the van and the engineer said all the years he has been doing the inspections mine was the first one that had fire extinguisher in date ,fire blanket, smoke alarm,and CO detector alarm, and on site I always fill a bucket with water and leave by front wheel I saw a tent go up in seconds on a site in Wales , never forget that it was a shock :(thankfully no body was in it you cant be too careful especially with all the gas and flammables that we carry.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Well, still appears to be some differences of opinion on here so think I will go with the AFFF variety and hope I never need to find out how good it is! I'm assuming that the 1 litre is too small so need to find somewhere suitable to fit the 2kg bottle - near the door.
Thanks for all your advice guys.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good thread thanks for the info to all giving a view, this is the sort of advice that really helps, them like me who have no background in it but always handy to know will re read, and have a further look at the links to products, my initial opinion for a 6 mtr PVC high top having read the posts, at this point is a lightweight fire blanket, and not so sure about the size extinguisher to go for 1 or 2 litre probably the afff,(y) Or dried powder(n)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Picture of my 2l. . Would be nice to have larger but it will have to do..
20150711_142720.jpg

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Fire extinguisher should be big and heavy enough to batter door or window(s) through.
Leave trying to fight a fire to the experts, and your insurers

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Problem being that insurers require an extinguisher to be carried in the van, so might as well make an attempt to get the right one.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
An initial attack on a Small Fire can be attempted by most of us, before it becomes too big to handle, then it becomes the job of Professional Firefighters.
Throughout the UK Portable Firefighting equipment is placed in the workplace for just that, quick action can prevent a rapid spread of fire. Basic training where available should be saught, it may save you loosing your van, insured or not.
Site your extinguisher near your habitation door so you can grab it on your way out, then decide on wether YOU can tackle the fire from your Place of Safety (Outside) before doing so. Dont take chances, stay calm, stay safe.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've got one of these:
Broken Link Removed

It's a Jewel Saffire Dry Water Mist Fire extinguisher. Usable on all the likely fires in a camper van, including fuel, fat & electrical.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've got one of these:
Broken Link Removed

It's a Jewel Saffire Dry Water Mist Fire extinguisher. Usable on all the likely fires in a camper van, including fuel, fat & electrical.
Great link..
If I ever have to replace my afff it would be a first choice.
Andy

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Well, still appears to be some differences of opinion on here so think I will go with the AFFF variety and hope I never need to find out how good it is! I'm assuming that the 1 litre is too small so need to find somewhere suitable to fit the 2kg bottle - near the door.
Thanks for all your advice guys.
Good choice - AFFF /foam extinguisher for inside.
Dry powder are ok, but they don't have any cooling properties on the fire and they cause a right mess.
I would also add a fire blanket as well. They're compact and and do the job for fires on the hob.
Best advice, position yourselves between the exit and the fire and aim at the base. If in doubt, get out.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Great link..
If I ever have to replace my afff it would be a first choice.
Andy
Thanks.
Good to have my research confirmed by someone with proper training!

I got mine from www.safelincs.co.uk, who are as near to 'just down the road' as anyone is in Lincolnshire.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If in doubt, get out.

No no no

No doubt.. get out..

Fighting fires is only ever of use if you need to save life and limb. If everyone is out use your extinguisher to stop the fire spreading and for nothing else. You cannot put out a fire, it goes out when all the available fuel heat or air is used up and you do not want to be part of that mix.

Extinguishers are for fighting small fires where the fires cause a danger to life or limb not for saving property.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
No no no

No doubt.. get out..

Fighting fires is only ever of use if you need to save life and limb. If everyone is out use your extinguisher to stop the fire spreading and for nothing else. You cannot put out a fire, it goes out when all the available fuel heat or air is used up and you do not want to be part of that mix.

Extinguishers are for fighting small fires where the fires cause a danger to life or limb not for saving property.
you don't need to give me the fire triangle lesson, I give this to year 5 kids as part of being a firefighter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back