Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
With a big hike in road tax especially for big motors will people get them registered in Romania or other East European countries to save tax like haulage companies do ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'll worry about it if I buy a new vehicle in 2017. It won't affect either the motorhome or the car until then and only then if I buy new.....

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
mine is not new. so I am all right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have I missed something, I thought that the road tax was being evened out, and only new cars subject to the CO2 rating?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
With a big hike in road tax especially for big motors will people get them registered in Romania or other East European countries to save tax like haulage companies do ?
No, because if you live in a country more than 6 months you have to register your vehicle there. You could only initially register a vehicle in a different country I think if you lived there.

The new VED rates are a huge change, it will be a flat rate of ÂŁ140 for all cars below ÂŁ40K, so the current rates of say ÂŁ10 for a small car disappear ad become ÂŁ140. The ÂŁ450 charge for cars over ÂŁ40K won't as I read it apply to MHs, as it mentions only cars. The wording is:

"Reform of vehicle excise duty (VED) rates and bands for post-2017 cars – The government will introduce a new VED banding system for cars registered on or after 1 April 2017. First year rates (FYRs) will vary according to the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle. There will be a flat standard rate (SR) of £140 for all cars except those emitting 0 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre (gCO2/km), for which the standard rate will be £0. Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 per year for the first 5 years in which the standard rate is paid. The new VED system will be reviewed as necessary to ensure that it continues to incentivise the cleanest cars. "

I am not sure how the last sentence squares with abolishing the current rates of ÂŁ10 and ÂŁ25 for small low polluting vehicles! Only the ÂŁ0 rate remains for zero emission cars.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thankyou @DBK That was my understanding, in my case that means one of my cars VED gets reduced, and the other goes up and the MH stays the same. Overall I win very slightly.
The abolition of the ÂŁ10 and ÂŁ25 rates will hurt people with things like a Prius, not only do they have a rubbish car, they now have to pay loads more VED :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That was my understanding, in my case that means one of my cars VED gets reduced, and the other goes up and the MH stays the same. Overall I win very slightly.

No you don't. Nothing changes for you. It only applies to new cars registered after 1st April 2017. The existing bands stay for vehicles registered before that date.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Now begs the question, why would anyone in their right mind buy a Prius?

They wouldn't. The only people who buy Priuses (Priuii ?) are those people who want to be smug about it.

If you really feel the need to buy an electric car then:

03-2015-bmw-i8-fd-1.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No, because if you live in a country more than 6 months you have to register your vehicle there. You could only initially register a vehicle in a different country I think if you lived there.

The new VED rates are a huge change, it will be a flat rate of ÂŁ140 for all cars below ÂŁ40K, so the current rates of say ÂŁ10 for a small car disappear ad become ÂŁ140. The ÂŁ450 charge for cars over ÂŁ40K won't as I read it apply to MHs, as it mentions only cars. The wording is:

"Reform of vehicle excise duty (VED) rates and bands for post-2017 cars – The government will introduce a new VED banding system for cars registered on or after 1 April 2017. First year rates (FYRs) will vary according to the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle. There will be a flat standard rate (SR) of £140 for all cars except those emitting 0 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre (gCO2/km), for which the standard rate will be £0. Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 per year for the first 5 years in which the standard rate is paid. The new VED system will be reviewed as necessary to ensure that it continues to incentivise the cleanest cars. "

I am not sure how the last sentence squares with abolishing the current rates of ÂŁ10 and ÂŁ25 for small low polluting vehicles! Only the ÂŁ0 rate remains for zero emission cars.

I have seen it interpenetrated elsewhere as VED on 3500kg camper (classed the same as cars?) will be taxed at the ÂŁ450 figure yearly for first 5 years:(

well I guess we cant expect the poor to continue to bare the brunt of everything...

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
That will knock the boll@@ks out of the car industry in 2017 then? Just when it's back on it's feet. No point in buying a low emissions car then????

My car is a 2009 if I was thinking of changing it, best to do something early in 2016, otherwise there will be nothing left in the showrooms!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"I have seen it interpenetrated elsewhere as VED on 3500kg camper (classed the same as cars?) will be taxed at the ÂŁ450 figure yearly for first 5 years:("

So buy a 'van that weighs more than 3500kgs. (or get it uprated BEFORE it is registered)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That will knock the boll@@ks out of the car industry in 2017 then? Just when it's back on it's feet. No point in buying a low emissions car then????

My car is a 2009 if I was thinking of changing it, best to do something early in 2016, otherwise there will be nothing left in the showrooms!

Changing van next year anyway.... car as well by the look of it!

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Mmmmm had two Prius's and now using Auris (also a hybrid) and love em to bits especially when l get 70mpg and pay no road tax. Wouldn't change from a hybrid now

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mmmmm had two Prius's and now using Auris (also a hybrid) and love em to bits especially when l get 70mpg and pay no road tax. Wouldn't change from a hybrid now
As an aside, have you hit anyone when in electric mode?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

My dad bought a Yaris hybrid earlier this year. Some kind of audible warning would be useful in car parks, etc. It's not silent, but it's quiet enough to be a concern.

Reading the other posts here, it seems like in 2022 a 2nd-hand gas-guzzling 4x4 becomes more attractive as its VED drops to ÂŁ140 (about the same as my nice clean little diesel Doblo) and by then depreciation will have really done its worst. Mind you, who knows what the tax on fuel will be by then - this budget seems to be trying to give the electric vehicle sector a kick.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

No it is illegal as DBK pointed out- Unless or until the UK bail out of the EU :sneaky:

Fascinates me as well ? We have a local registered cab driver here & on a couple of occasions he's passed me on the motorway at arond 140/150kphr.
As Clarkson said " if you drive it normally 25 mpg is the tops you'll get ."

They wouldn't. The only people who buy Priuses (Priuii ?) are those people who want to be smug about it.

If you really feel the need to buy an electric car then:

View attachment 68927

I saw earlier in week that wayne rooney has bought one.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't want an electric car anyway until they figure out how to make one that sounds like a V8.

Or until it can do 400 miles up and down and through mountains without a lengthy recharge.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Noooooo...but tbh the risk is there especially if your driving through say a slip road in a shopping area or some other place where cars and people share the same section of tarmac. How you getting on with the new motorhome...doyou miss the Accent in anyway ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back