LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
No, no, stay away! It's just too REMOTE and QUIET for you! You really wouldn't like it! You'd feel all exposed, and alone, and adventurous! There's no bright lights and no TV and no phone reception! Nothing to do all day but sit around or go walking in far-reaching vistas with no shopping malls! Please, go back to England and leave the Highlands alone (for me)!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've travelled the eastern and central part of that route several times on the way to Scrabster for the ferry to Torshavn but never in a motorhome. Quiet, peaceful and remote sums it up. I seem to remember having to drive to Bonar Bridge to cross the Dornoch Firth before the bridge was built.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No, no, stay away! It's just too REMOTE and QUIET for you! You really wouldn't like it! You'd feel all exposed, and alone, and adventurous! There's no bright lights and no TV and no phone reception! Nothing to do all day but sit around or go walking in far-reaching vistas with no shopping malls! Please, go back to England and leave the Highlands alone (for me)!
and don't believe the pictures. The sun never shines as it's always raining so solar panels are just wasting your payload allowance.
Wildlife is profuse (eh midges).
Roads are single track dirt tracks. The sheep do not understand you want to get past any time soon?
The natives are foreign language speakers that even Google Translate gives up on.
etc
etc
etc

Oh, and, Sandra in the nicest of terms "sh** up"!!!

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
I agree with all comments... I have been a couple of times and we will be spending about 6 weeks from start of sept..... Please stay away.. Leave all the wild quiet places empty.. After all who rreally wants views like that... Nagggggghhhhhhhhhh Margate.. Now that's the place or what about immingham.... Mrs froghopper is a bit shy. When washing in a stream....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: CWH

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
For anyone still wondering where to go in Scotland, have a look here.Saw this new website on FB
www.northcoast500.com
Have done most of this routes as we have lived in most of the major towns on this route over the last 30 years it is a brilliant route with so many wild camping spots its unbelievable. But don't do it if you can't cope with solitude and an absence of the basics of life like Macdonalds.

Mar 26, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
just done the Ullapool to John o Groats part of this route. Fantastic scenic route.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
AAh memories. Haven't done Scotland for a couple of years as we decided to do a bit more European. But now we've taken on a new pooch, we're staying UK this year and are planning to go north again in September.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Found the site, thanks peeps.
Looking at the itinerary on the official webpage, it remarks on the climb of 20%
on some of the hills.
Would Dottie (Autotrail Dakota on a Fiat Ducato) laugh at something she would consider as a slight incline, or is there an alternate route to avoid the steep bits without detracting from the journey

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would avoid the 20% bits - it isn't so much whether you can get up, it is what do you do if you meet someone coming the other way? How good are you at reversing on hills, how is the clutch? Otherwise you might need one of these: https://goo.gl/maps/fEjBj :)

Which by funny coincidence is just above what I think is one of the the 20% sections. https://goo.gl/maps/GQtmT Not really MH friendly.

However, if I was doing any part of that route I would look at it first on a map, even a good road atlas should be enough. The steep bits will be marked by double arrows and when you know where they are you can plot a way round them. The clever interactive map they have is entertaining but not much use when you are actually on the road so you would need to note the route and plot it on a map anyway and this will tell you what is feasible and what isn't.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Nah, don't bother with the Highlands of Scotland. Dreadful place - nothing to see, no telly, no phone coverage, very few people - and those you do meet speak strangely. Hardly any electricity to be found, boring roads, sometimes you don't see another vehicle for miles.
Nah, avoid the place.

And yes, we are going to the Highlands in just over two weeks time (y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thanks both for your replies. I will take DBK up on his advice.
Gizmouk, keep your eyes open, it might be me coming the other way!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back