LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Used ours for the 2 weeks were in France, it was fantastic. Like non toll roads but sometimes you just want to get there, and going all the way down to the Cote d'azure that was the case. Every barrier came up, no problems at all and the money we've used has come straight out of uk bank acc, so no taking it all with us in change etc. Used the Clarity card last year, but will be keeping the sanef tag for sept.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My concern is the information you provide will give them the knowledge of your weight?
I currently go through tolls as class 2 despite being 4250kg and so far the sat dome has not triggered class 3
Is my concern unfounded?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have the sanef tag used for 4 weeks in June so simple and no bad deal on the exchange rate at the moment.

its worth the annual activation fee of £5 ( if i remember correctly ) and maximum of 10 euros per use ( 5 per month to a max of 10 euros per year ) for the convenience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
They are bloody great. I don't recall giving them any vehicle specific info, just my personal/bank details, the vehicle class is gauged at the toll gate based on height etc (not sure any weighing takes place), I think you can use the same tag across multiple qualifying vehicles (class 1, 2 etc).

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Never heard of Sanef Tag so googled it.
Do I understand this correctly?
It doesn't save any money on the toll fees but costs to set up and use. The only thing it saves is time?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
There are minor setup/activation fees, but the tag is so convenient and time saving that said charges pale into insignificance.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
My concern is the information you provide will give them the knowledge of your weight?
I currently go through tolls as class 2 despite being 4250kg and so far the sat dome has not triggered class 3
Is my concern unfounded?
Ours was allocated as class 2 during set up, it stays that way .

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
It doesn't save any money on the toll fees but costs to set up and use. The only thing it saves is time?
You get a half price reduction with any booking on chunnel for set up. We went thro several tolls that had mega traffic queues, we just sailed thro the tag one no probs. No hassle at all and no worries about what change you have, whether your card gets stuck etc. Wldn't go without one again, really convenient.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

thats correct John, its about total convenience not about money saving, avoiding any queues, credit / debit card worries; wife hanging out the window etc.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Well..... We are 3 m high but nearly 5t, ....so we have tried using the Sanef tag. We are ALWAYS allowed onto the Autoroute, and quite often allowed out at the 'peage', but some 'peage' have a weigh scales system and won't let you out. We pressed the button and we were let through, however on one occasion we had to reverse out of SIX different 'barrier lanes ' before a intercom let us through .
As a summary, a great concept, but if you are over 3.5t, hold your breath, be patient and Pray when arriving at the 'peage' .

When I drove up last week, I was alone, I was unable to open the passenger window, and only have one door, and that's on the drivers side, so I didn't want to risk using the 'tag' so I apologise to those in the queue behind me while I pulled up, ignition off, hand break on, open the hab door, lower the step walk around the van, get the ticket, walk around the van, open the door, raise the step, seat belt on, ignition on, hand break off, and hope the barrier stays open !!!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
When I checked the website it was for vehicles under 3500kgs only.
But that is true for class 2 regardless of using the tag or not, so I guess you could be unlucky regardless if a gate happens to have weighing scales?

FAQs here: https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq

3.9. Can I swap the tag between vehicles?
Yes! There is no link to a particular vehicle. You can also lend it to your friends if you like, but please note: You are the account holder and are responsible for all tolls and fees incurred.

Last edited:

Deleted User
The Sanef setup charge is wavered if you are a Caxton customer (just received an email to that effect)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Is my concern unfounded?
I originally got a tag about 5/6 years ago to use with a VW T5 when I had a part-time job as a courier. No info was supplied except for usual name & address and photocopy of credit card. Tag has since been used frequently with a 4 tonne MH, possibly overweight with fuel and water, (sub 3m) with no problems or queries at all.

IMHO one of the best things I've ever bought, but each to his own. I've even used mine in a Paris car park!

M

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
The only downside for me is when the kids borrow the camper van and Mrs kindly says "no it's fine" when they offer to pay
Ha ! if that day eva comes, it will come off it's little holder on the windscreen and be locked away !!!!! :D

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Brilliant. Just used ours for the last three weeks and the wife loves it. No more leaning out of the cab window in a dodgey position! Got back and gave it to our son to head off to Meribel. He thinks it's fantastic cos he doesn't pick up the tab. We do!

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Is my concern unfounded?

We have had many arguments at tolls as our dish triggers class 3 instead of class 2. In recent years the tolls are mostly unmanned and attempting to be reduced to Class 2 over the intercom system proves useless. And now I tow a trailer I am class 4, basically the same price of a full size artic lorry...seriously? All French people should pay tolls on our motorways, rip off :) just my personal opinion :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
At tolls I always take the ticket from the low level dispenser and submit it back in the low level slot. I don't know if that is significant but despite being 3.29 metres with dome I have never paid class 3

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
At tolls I always take the ticket from the low level dispenser and submit it back in the low level slot. I don't know if that is significant but despite being 3.29 metres with dome I have never paid class 3

haha we've tried this.... we still get Class 3 :-( good to hear others trying this though :)

Navajo Steve

Free Member
Jul 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
autotrail Fontier Navajo
Exp
Since july 14
Hi we have an Autotrail Frontier Low line, I'm unsure it will be picked up if I stick it near the mirror,
will I be ok if I put it below the mirror or do I put it at the bottom of the screen.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I have mine behind the mirror on the black bit but i dont have any overhang

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
they say behind the mirror as a lot of screens have in built heater elements and that can affect the tag.

mine is just to the right and level with the bottom of the mirror.

it just needs to be where the scanner can locate it.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi we have an Autotrail Frontier Low line, I'm unsure it will be picked up if I stick it near the mirror,
will I be ok if I put it below the mirror or do I put it at the bottom of the screen.
We have an AT Tracker and used the tag without issue behind the mirror on the mottled area of the windscreen.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have an A class LHD and stuck it on the left hand side up high, it worked fine.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have had many arguments at tolls as our dish triggers class 3 instead of class 2. In recent years the tolls are mostly unmanned and attempting to be reduced to Class 2 over the intercom system proves useless. And now I tow a trailer I am class 4, basically the same price of a full size artic lorry...seriously? All French people should pay tolls on our motorways, rip off :) just my personal opinion :)

Do you speak on the intercom in English or French?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Do you speak on the intercom in English or French?
I tend to try and communicate in French, by saying, "Bonjour. Je suis un camping-car s'il vous plaît." This translates to , "Hello. I am a camping car please", which usually results in a reduction from classe 4 or 3, down to classe 2.
When successful I always finish with "Merci beaucoup."

Job done. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ha ! if that day eva comes, it will come off it's little holder on the windscreen and be locked away !!!!! :D
I don't use the holder or leave visible in our vehicles - it is too attractive to scroats who are happy to use your tag to travel through tolls at your expense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back