Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi, we have just returned from our first night away and came across a few things that I was unsure about??

When we emptied out our toilet, other people had the same toilet base but the also had a plastic tub thing on wheels?? what is it for? and do we need one?

Also when we filled up with water, the generic B&Q tap connector we have didn't fit properly resulting in a lovely cold shower!! is there one we can get that is purpose made to fir on camping taps?

thanks for you help and advise :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The 'tub' thing was probably a wastemaster.. or similar.. for dumping grey water

Buy a selection of Broken Link Removed .. 1/2 , 3/4 and 1 inch, threaded .. that will cover 90% of taps..
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
as a backup.. one of the rubber push on connectors for taps without threads..

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
just looked and yes it was a wastemaster. stupid question but how do you get the water from the MH into the wastemaster?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also when we filled up with water, the generic B&Q tap connector we have didn't fit properly resulting in a lovely cold shower!! is there one we can get that is purpose made to fir on camping taps?

There's no such thing as a camping tap. They are all generic sizes.

As @ScotJimland says buy the proper Hozelock adapters. The B&Q ones might look the same but the quality is cr@p and they never fit properly. Saying that I have a locker full of them because they are so cheap and I have a habit of leaving them on taps on aires when I fill up (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
just looked and yes it was a wastemaster. stupid question but how do you get the water from the MH into the wastemaster?

Put it under your gray water drain before you open it (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Position the wastemaster under the grey tank tap and hope you postioned it correctly or get grey waste everywhere.

The other option......attach a short hose to the waste tap and place the end in the wastemaster.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes agree with others, buy every different one you see. You never know when you will come across a different one.
As for grey waste water have a look around underneath your MoHo for a tap, anything from 3/4 inch upwards. Ours is on the near side just too the rear of the back wheel. Park over a drain or put a bucket underneath and open it to drain.
Most campsites if set up properly for MoHo's have a bay where you can drain grey water, empty black water (toilet) and fill up with fresh water. :)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
sorry for coming across as a complete thicko....it just seems scary in case we break something or put something in the wrong place!
Haha, yes it does seem like that sometimes. Putting a bucket under the van, turning a tap on and water pours on the floor at the other side of van! Don't worry there's not too much you can do wrong with dirty water :whistle::LOL:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wastemaster is handy as a wheeled trolley for your cassette as well.
the cassette sits on top secured with a bungy strap

only just recently bought a new one.. great bit of kit.. gave my last one away with the caravan.. :rolleyes:

some of course don't use or need them :LOL:

and when too far for a hose.. an Aquaroll ..
saves a lot of heavy carrying.. or multiple trips with a watering can, but you do need a submersible pump to transfer to the motorhome tank..
and kids love them.. even a five year old can pull 45lt of water

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
When we first started in our van we had the same panicky thoughts. Should we have all those trundley things that other people have got??? Where do we put them??? What do we do with them??? Why are there different taps for different things??? We learned so much, mostly through asking the helpful wardens on sites (it didn't seem as embarrassing as asking fellow campers on site), including:

(1) No you do not need a wastemaster. They take up storage space that we certainly can't afford to lose.
You can drive over a grey waste drain to empty. You can do this as you leave the site or if necessary take the van to the drain during your stay (making sure you leave an "in use" marker on your pitch).
NB: "Grey waste" is from sinks and shower. "Black waste" is from the loo.
Of course there are sites without a drain so you 'carry' your grey waste in your waste tank under the van till you get to a site that has. Or you can put a bucket under the drain tap and empty that way if you're not using too much. When we're on a site that doesn't have a drain for us to empty into as we leave, we use a bucket and empty regularly.

(2) In our experience ALL campsite taps will give you a shower! :LOL:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Uphill in 12" deep grass....now that i must see. :LOL:

as you wish ..
1993 Gower . Jon, number four son..

B0003212.jpg

and Paul.. number five son helping with hose..

B0003245.jpg

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
only just recently bought a new one.. great bit of kit.. gave my last one away with the caravan.. :rolleyes:

some of course don't use or need them :LOL:

and when too far for a hose.. an Aquaroll ..
saves a lot of heavy carrying.. or multiple trips with a watering can, but you do need a submersible pump to transfer to the motorhome tank..
and kids love them.. even a five year old can pull 45lt of water

We use both as well. Wouldn't be without either.

The Aquaroll/pump combination is especially good. 3 trips/15 minutes and our 120l tank is full from more or less empty. Can't be faffing around with a watering can or anything else slow.

Same with the Wastemaster, if there's no drive over drain it gets rid of a full waste tank in about 3 trips. There's no way I want to be messing around with a bucket every time someone washes up.

If any van I happened to be interested in didn't have the space to carry both I wouldn't buy it.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I guess it's a lot about how you use the van.
I don't think our waste tank has ever been more than an indicated half full by the time we leave a site, and we rarely put more than half in the fresh tank when we arrive.
But then we don't stay long in one place, we haven't done much in the way of wilding yet, and we haven't been over the water either.
When we bought the van, a bit like @Babyell , we didn't even know such things existed! :)

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Empty grey waste? Don't take any notice of this aquaroll or bucket lark, just creep out at night and open the drain cock, better still if it rains as nobody will notice in the morning. ;)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Empty grey waste? Don't take any notice of this aquaroll or bucket lark, just creep out at night and open the drain cock, better still if it rains as nobody will notice in the morning. ;)

Or leave it half open as you drive away. ;)

When we were at a certain popular "site" in Wales about 10 miles north of Barmouth recently I asked the dopey girl in the office about grey water as there is nowhere provided in the whole 300 acres to get rid of it. She told me I must NOT empty it on the grass but to open the tap as I drove across the causeway road. :doh: Apparently that's what they tell everyone to do.o_O

I emptied it onto the grass.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
So here are my newbie questions.....

How do you know when your grey water is getting full? Is there an overflow or backstop in case I don't notice?

On the site we stayed at in Hawkshead there was a grey water drain at the foot of each hook up point as well as the drive over one.

Jen

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
tank gauge ,

if not working then normally when you run out of fresh water ... waste is full
Hmm - don't think we have a grey tank gauge. So can I assume the grey tank takes the same volume as the clean water tank?
Our handbook is obviously badly translated from the italian so not much use!

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @Babyell

In a very short time, you'll become very knowledgeable so don't worry. It's always the little things like tap connectors, emptying waste, getting water, getting electricity etc that catches us out when we are new to motorhoming. Naming things and jargon doesn't help either. ALL of the answers are on here and there's always the nosy parker on any site that will lend a hand.

It's a lot to take in at first, but by asking questions on here and being a 'curtain twitcher' on site, you'll soon be the consummate professional!

You might find that your post sparks an off-topic debate, but eventually, you'll get your answer. Never be afraid to ask. As often said, there is no such thing as a 'silly' question on here. It's only silly when you don't ask it! So, ask away.

You'll be fine. Nice van by the way.

James

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

Or leave it half open as you drive away. ;)

When we were at a certain popular "site" in Wales about 10 miles north of Barmouth recently I asked the dopey girl in the office about grey water as there is nowhere provided in the whole 300 acres to get rid of it. She told me I must NOT empty it on the grass but to open the tap as I drove across the causeway road. :doh: Apparently that's what they tell everyone to do.o_O

I emptied it onto the grass.

OH NO !!! off with their heads
guillotine-smiley-emoticon.gif
angry-mob.gif

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread