Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're just trying to decide whether or not to have a treatment on our MH. One of the guys at Travelworld said it would be a good idea to treat the vehicle keep the paintwork looking good.

We've had a quote from Tourershine and I'm wondering what people think of the company and the product they use (PTFE). Also what is a PTFE a treatment?

We saw a video on YouTube where a guy had a professional treatment on his MH and the whole vehicle ended up covered in what looked like freckles - masses of brown blobs literally all over the vehicle. Whilst I don't know what treatment he used it has made us wonder whether to go for a treatment or not. Our MHZ is just over one year old by the way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Would have thought a good shampoo then a quality polish employing some elbow grease. As she is new to you, doing it yourself will acquaint you with her flaws and blemishes. I find that a good polish on the pointy end makes the removal of suicidal flying beasties of all sorts considerably easier. Stuff the PTFE, bring on the Carnauba wax.
As a general rule I don't like anyone tampering with my babe, When she gets her MOT I closely watch from the observation area. I warn them, so they can expect the odd shout of derision, after all I am paying ! There are some careless clotts about ! ;)

PS i thought ptfe was white tape that you wrap around threads while doing plumbing tasks

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Paintseal, another company, does work, for my previous van had been treated. As it says on the can, a swill over with water and it comes up like new. Why have I not had my present van treated? It is much more expensive than polishing it once a year but it does work. The concept being that the microscopic texture in the paint, is filled so that fine dirt particles cannot attach themselves.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
The dealer will say it's a good idea, they are making a packet from you, as others have said a good polish once or twice a year will do the job much cheaper too.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The dealer will say it's a good idea, they are making a packet from you, as others have said a good polish once or twice a year will do the job much cheaper too.
Cheers, Dave(y)

I completely agree Dave, I am not willing to pay the £400+ to have Paintseal on my van but as I said before, a previous van had been treated before I bought it and I must admit that it was effective. If I did have that sort of money to use without thinking, I would have it done.
Alan

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Today I valeted a caravan that had been treated with Paintseal, all went well until it came to the rather large amount of tar spots on the front. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as the tar remover I have is extremely good, but I could not use it as it could POSSIBLY remove some of the sealer as well. There was nothing in the customer care package that would tackle this problem. So customer had to choose between very unsightly tar spots or take the risk of damaging the sealer. I have never been keen on sealers on motorhomes or caravans as some of the main materials that they are made from are designed to flex and sealers don't flex. If you still think its worth doing Oriel then get Tourershine to do it as they only do motorhomes and caravans so know what they are doing, unlike some of the cowboys that offer this service

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had 2 vans and 1 car done( Paint seal ) I for one dont want to spend my time polishing a large van when a simple wash makes it shine. It is a bit pricey @£400 but I found it worth it

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I for one don't want to spend £400 on something that is just a modern version of the Kings new clothes.

Is that because you have experience of these treatments or just that you dont believe the sales blurb.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Is that because you have experience of these treatments or just that you dont believe the sales blurb.

No its because of my experience in detailing over the last 30 years that tells me these wonder treatments are just not able to live up to the hype.
Sadly its an easy sell because people really want to believe in these products. They almost feel compelled to buy into them as most like me at least have invested a huge chunk of their savings into these motor homes / cars/boats or whatever,

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
So if we had our motorhome detailed instead of using Paint seal this would be better value in your opinion, I have had quotes for detailing my cars and they came in a lot more than £400. What would your cost be of for a f430 spyder and how many hours would it take?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
So if we had our motorhome detailed instead of using Paint seal this would be better value in your opinion, I have had quotes for detailing my cars and they came in a lot more than £400. What would your cost be of for a f430 spyder and how many hours would it take?

A bit of background.

I have been into vehicle detailing for more than 30 years. I have never done this for a living . I used to write as a technical author for one of the largest detailing product manufacturers in the world. I have spent endless weekends attending meets and doing machine polishing demonstrations .
There are many areas of detailing. My area is paint or exteriors if you like .

These wonder paint products are hopeless. There used to be one ( I cant say names for obvious reasons) that car dealerships used to sell to customers for anything from £200 up.
The cost of the product which consisted of nothing more than a sponge filled with wax was less than 5 quid.
These products were punted in order to do nothing other than make money.
It would take a valeter less than an hour to apply as all they did was puncture the sponge to allow the wax to leak out. Dampen it then wipe it over the vehicle. Then buff off.

To detail the outside of a car involves claying. Machine polishing then applying either a high quality wax or sealant. Its a bit more involved than that but I could rabbit on for ages.

Above someone mentions a sealant has been applied over tar spots. Well that indicates the quality of the person doing the job.

Any vehicle car boat MH caravan would need to be looked at before a detailer would or could give a price. It really is how long is a piece of string.

It would be quite ridiculous to say there are no benefits from these products ! But the gains would be less IMO than an application of a long durability high quality wax.
A tin of Collinite 476S costs 18 quid and would do more than ten large motor-homes easily.

Hours taken would be down to the condition of the vehicle at the start. If its covered in tar spots and needs those removing it adds time. Careful claying again adds more time. Then how long doing the actual machine polishing makes a huge difference. If the paint on the metal parts is swirled or perhaps its been rubbed against a few bushes down narrow lanes then these have to be carefully polished out.

But I'm talking about proper preparation Before applying wax or sealants. None of these people who apply "wonder products" would do this unless specifically asked.

Doing an MH could run into days but conversely it could be done in a day . Its that how long is the string again ?

I really am surprised there is not a detailing section on these MH forums.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I think then I may have to buy a good quality wax next time and apply it from new and this should give a similar shine I do also use aqua cote not sure if that helps but when I wash the van it is not hard work.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think then I may have to buy a good quality wax next time and apply it from new and this should give a similar shine I do also use aqua cote not sure if that helps but when I wash the van it is not hard work.
You can apply wax to any vehicle at any age it does not have to be new.
On used vehicles it pays to clean them as well as you can or are able to do.
But even if you simply wash them and then apply you will get a degree of protection to your vehicle.

The depth of shine on pIntwork is got at the polishing stage. We call it paint correction as we polish out all minor scratches and swirling marks which makes a massive difference and gives back the clarity to the paint. It often is possible to get the finish better than new. Fact is I polish my cars even when I buy brand new ones.
The wax is there to protect. It will mean the water sheds off and beads on the surface . A degree of protection against UV light that will prevent fading is so gained from waxing.

Old or new, polished or not it's important to apply a decent quality high durability wax to keep your investment at its best !!

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some people need to get out more. I have a work colleague who lives to polish his Subaru. Every break he is watching detailing vids on YouTube and then buying yet another product from Ebay.

In my opinion, cars are for getting from A to B and, when they don't, you sell or scrap them.

Life really is too short......:)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I bet you wax your skis Jon(y)

Definitely! Makes 'em go quicker!(y)

Anything more than a layer of turtle wax on the IQ or MH won't make them quicker though!

I am not having a dig at those who get pleasure from the presentation of their vehicle, but shouldn't a machine enhance our lives?
Being a slave to the machine seems a bit like the tail wagging the dog to me!:)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Some people need to get out more. I have a work colleague who lives to polish his Subaru. Every break he is watching detailing vids on YouTube and then buying yet another product from Ebay.

In my opinion, cars are for getting from A to B and, when they don't, you sell or scrap them.

Life really is too short......:)
I do get out. I enjoy looking after my kit. Getting out in the fresh air can't do any harm eh ?
For people like me the rather large sum of money I paid and paid cash for is an investment in our pleasure. So looking after it is important.
Have you stopped to consider your friend with the Subaru might actually enjoy what he is doing to his car ?

Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. The way opinions are voiced speaks a lot about the person opinining..

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Is this a new N+B van? If so, check the manual, our Hymer has mostly a factory applied self cleaning finish, I didn't find out until I read the cleaning instructions, I could not understand why with careful cleaning and waxing, it became increasingly difficult to keep clean. Now having stripped of the wax with TFR and washing up liquid, with the exception of the odd GRP component, the rest cleans with just a week solution of TFR and stays clean very well.
The bits of GRP have Colinite 486 applied and also stay clean.

MaverickUK2016

Free Member
Jul 21, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Above someone mentions a sealant has been applied over tar spots. Well that indicates the quality of the person doing the job.

Any vehicle car boat MH caravan would need to be looked at before a detailer would or could give a price. It really is how long is a piece of string.

It would be quite ridiculous to say there are no benefits from these products ! But the gains would be less IMO than an application of a long durability high quality wax.
A tin of Collinite 476S costs 18 quid and would do more than ten large motor-homes easily.

I don't understand how places like tourashine etc can charge £600+ to clean and polish a motorhome...where on earth do the sums come from even if it was a full days work, though most are like 3 or 4 hours work (not to be confused with detailing) Your collinite recommendation seems like a good one. What products would you recommend for a faded (grp fibreglass body and metal cab) 12 year old campervan as a basic novice procedure and then maintainence? I'm also wondering if something like the kestrel Broken Link Removed would be a worthwhile investment?

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@Charlie is the best person to ask. Because I've typed the symbol '@' before his name, Charlie will know that you are asking the question.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
@Charlie is the best man on here to know about cleaning your van , Charlie told me how good colinite €76 was , so I bought a tin and the finish is unbelievable, £18 quid for a tin of polish is a little expensive but with that and some elbow grease the finish is far better than all these expensive efforts for hundreds of pounds,
A question for you Charlie, if you don't mind, I have bought a new Adria sonic a class motor home, the front bonnet is wrapped with a Matt black finish. Can I apply colinite to it? I have asked the dealer who says yes, but they will say anything to sell the van ,cheers mate

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Some applied coatings do work turn down the annoying sound
but do watch till the end and be prepared to be amazed

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I don't understand how places like tourashine etc can charge £600+ to clean and polish a motorhome...where on earth do the sums come from even if it was a full days work, though most are like 3 or 4 hours work (not to be confused with detailing) Your collinite recommendation seems like a good one. What products would you recommend for a faded (grp fibreglass body and metal cab) 12 year old campervan as a basic novice procedure and then maintainence? I'm also wondering if something like the kestrel Broken Link Removed would be a worthwhile investment?
I knew Tourershine were dear but never realised by how much, perhaps I will have to put my prices up :). I don't know what their pricing structure is but do know that there are two guys and they travel up and down the country stopping in hotels, all of which costs. The polisher you mention is a reasonable piece of kit BUT you have to know what our are doing with it to avoid damage to your motorhome which has very thin paint and no lacquer. Colonite wax is a really good product but will no nothing for faded and dull motorhomes.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Why do they charge 600 quid to clean and polish a motor home ? Well firstly how big is the vehicle ? It can take days to do a proper job.

Thing is though what constitutes a proper job ?

We have to be sensible here. We have experienced people like @FJmike on this forum who valet/detail MHs for a living. Notice how I mentioned both valeting and detailing ? Let me explain.... Valeting is or should be high quality deep cleaning of a vehicle. The extent will depend on how far the owner of the vehicle therefore the bill payer is prepared to go. IE how much he or she wants to spend. Valeters clean vehicles to a high standard like FJmike does and his reputation stands before him so we know he carries out quality work.

Now lets try to explain Detailing. This is truth be told obsessive cleaning to the very highest standards possible. A full detail on for instance a car like a BMW M3 can take a week. My area as above it paint. I have knowledge of interior detailing but to be honest have little interest yet I can spend a week polishing a car going through multiple stages of polishing and correcting paint to a standard better than when a car left the factory. When we clean the wheels we remove them from the car so the backs as well as the fronts can be fully polished and sealed. Brake calipers are meticulously cleaned in minute detail !

These kind of preparations are usually carried out on expensive or show cars. Ive polished anything from Minis to Ferraris and Astons. They get the same level of care no matter what they are or the value. But as above I do not or never have done it for money. I have set out rules where the owner of a car Ive polished has donated to MacMillan Nurses which for me is hugely rewarding. I have also travelled far and wide demonstrating machine polishing to enthusiasts ..

So back to that question ...Why do they charge 60 nicker ? Well it could be fully justified as the work could take days and trust me valeting/detailing a big vehicle like a MH is bloody hard work ! I take my hat off to Mike and those who do it for a living Im sure I would never want to do it !

Or that 600 quid could be for gubber all... Anyone paying money for the wonder treatments is I'm afraid wasting their coin. So many time new wonder products come on to the market and each time we in the world of Valeting/Detailing wonder how many times the story of the kings new clothes can be reproduced. But then there are people who line up to spend the coin so there will always be someone to take the money.

A deep paint cleanse and a quality wax will do it every time.

Last edited:

MaverickUK2016

Free Member
Jul 21, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks guys I get in touch with collinite n see what they advise in my situation. Its looking like a boat product is the way to go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back