The hitch thingy in the back of the pickup? (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi 5ers, I am getting drawn to 5er rigs and have a few questions.

What are the disadvantages in having to stop to use the accommodation, things like no toilet on the move?

Whats the loading of the trailer onto the tractor?

Are the expensive looking hitches, the ones with the shock absorber worth the money?

and thing like that.

Doug...

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hi

We never find that having no access to the toilet is a problem we just pull over if we need to use it.
As far as anything else like weights and special hitches are concearned it really depends on what size if trailer and what type of truck you are considering as obviously bigger trailers impose more weight and can benefit more from special hitches
Neil

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Doug
we have never found it a problem having to stop to use the facilities on board,(we have frequent stops for Doreen to have a cigarette)plus we can get to the toilet and kitchen with the slides still in

Hitching up is not a problem ,i find it easier than hitching up a caravan because you can see what you are doing out the rear window.

We have a Fifth Airbourne hitch on ours ,shock absorber and adjustable airbag system and you can certainly tell the difference if you dont set it up right,it makes for a smoother ride.Ours was fitted when we bought the 5er

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Doug, why not give Griffs a PM he is not far from you and I believe he has a 5 ver for sale and could maybe show you around.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Doug

I don't speak from personal experience but we seriously considered a 5er for full timing.. we decided against for the following reasons..

a) No access to facilities en route
b) Requires a heavy truck to pull, with little benefit in economy when towing compared to a diesel RV and as a leisure vehicle it is still thirsty
c) Arriving on site it is more hassle than a mh .. unhitching, jacking and levelling... not pleasant in foul weather..
d) Can't use Aires
e) Is it really suitable for wild camping ?

An RV with a toad is IMO a better option, you have a cheap runabout when on location, you travel in comfort with plenty of space and when you get on site .. stop.. and put the kettle on..

On the plus side you only have one VED, MOT, Insurance and servicing... other than that I can see no benefits..

Those who have will shoot me down in flames.. but it's my honest appraisal and it's not against those who have and love them ..it's a very personal choice.. we travel throughout the year using mainly aires and there are few sites open in France in winter .. having to use sites with the added cost was the final nail ..

We all have different needs and preferences .. horses for courses .. :thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
good morning, i use a small but quite normal truck type hitch. either on my mitsubishi canter or vwlt50. never been stopped from using aires , some problems with c,sites. if your wheels on trailer are at the back no need to drop support legs (i dont have any ) only ones for total un hitching.unhitching takesonly minutes. both units use about 17mpg,loaded . 19/20 unloaded. if your unit forms part of an articulated combination pulling a living van (use ristricted)it does not require an mot, (gross wgt of unit over 3500).i drove artics for a living and think some of the hitches mentioned are just money traps. on big trips abroad i must say i dont unhook many times . no need there is more space n parking in supermarkets is easy.the decision is do you get a pickup or a chassis n cab .i like trucks so it was easy.have fun you know you want one ,no toad to pull .:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as regards weight transfered to tow unit ,most 5ers dont put much on the unit . possibly 500kg, they only use it like a normal tow hitch. my trailer is designed to put at least twenty %of the trailers wght on to the greasey plate. its not a true artic if it doesnt, according to construction n use definitions. also american pickups have various wgt definitions depending on the type of hitch. truck stuff as been around along time simplicity is the best. but anyway hookup n join the growing 5ers. i always liked tonka toys n havnt grownup yet.:thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Doug

I don't speak from personal experience but we seriously considered a 5er for full .......................................................................................................................................................

An RV with a toad is IMO a better option, you have a cheap runabout when on location, you travel in comfort with plenty of space and when you get on site .. stop.. and put the kettle on..

On the plus side you only have one VED, MOT, Insurance and servicing... other than that I can see no benefits..

Those who have will shoot me down in flames.. but it's my honest appraisal and it's not against those who have and love them ..it's a very personal choice.. we travel throughout the year using mainly aires and there are few sites open in France in winter .. having to use sites with the added cost was the final nail ..

We all have different needs and preferences .. horses for courses .. :thumb:

I am not about to shoot anyone down in flames :Smile: but I would take issue with you over your statement about toads, I am 6ft 6ins tall and I don't do small cars and there is no way I want to incur the costs associated with an additional large car, I also don't do low ceilings which regrettably seem all to prevalent in MH's and Caravans which is why a 5'er suits my needs.

There, see no one needs to put any flames out :ROFLMAO:

Rant over ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a 5'er suits my needs.

Rob

Like I said Rob.. it's horses for courses, you have a great looking rig..

wishing you many safe and happy travels.. :Smile:

Jim..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back