oil filter prob ARGHHHHHHHHHHH (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
All booked for peterborough next week, only van is immobilised!!! :cry:

My boyfriend tried to take off the oil filter to replace it with a new one and put a screw driver through it and now it wont come off :Doh:

I have homestart with my car insurance im gonna give them a call 2moz to see if i can wangle them dealing with it somehow, failing that ill have to wait for my brother to come up from weymouth in ten days, but that will be too late for the show:Sad:

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? xjx

shifter

Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years

My boyfriend tried to take off the oil filter to replace it with a new one and put a screw driver through it and now it wont come off :Doh:

I have homestart with my car insurance im gonna give them a call 2moz to see if i can wangle them dealing with it somehow, failing that ill have to wait for my brother to come up from weymouth in ten days, but that will be too late for the show:Sad:

hi junan
i have allways used a thin leather belt when it wont come of withe hands.
good luck
IAN

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years

Does you have an oil filter remover? if not you buy them for a couple of quid from your local car shop :thumb:

Will come out in a jiffy with that tool (looks like a noose)

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Try Spraying a bit of wd40 on the seal and using an oil filter remover?

The seal is replaced with the filter anyway.

Just a very light smear of oil on the new one should make it easier next time.

They are usually overtightened on replacement....
:cry:

I do mine up by hand and then tighten another 1/4 turn.It normally mentions it on the box.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
if you look at the filter it has a steel rim round the top of it use a screwdriver to tap this round idealy a small drift or chisel is better and it should come of anticlock wise or like the others say an oil filter rench

Last edited:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
oil filter

hi junan
i always use a screwdriver to take oil filters off.
use a sharpish cross head screwdriver, and pierce the oil filter towards the end (furthest away from the threads) if it won't pierce the filter with hand preasure,
lightly tap the end of the screwdriver with a small hammer till it goes through the metal of the filter, push the screwdriver through the filter and out of the other side of the filter(screwdriver has to be longer than the diameter of the filter).
when the screwdriver has gone right through the filter, turn the filter with the screwdriver.
it's worked everytime for me

may the force be with you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I would also suggest filter removing tool (just a couple of quid) also check the drain plug as it may well not be just a hex type nut. Tool to fit your ratchet again not expensive.Remember anti-clockwise to undo ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you cant get the correct tool........

home made removal tool.

one short thin leather belt, like on an old fashioned roller skate
one large ring spanner.
place the belt through the 'ring' of the spanner and around the filter,
leave quite a bit of slack and buckle the belt.
turn the ring spanner anti-clockwise using another spanner/screwdriver through the other end.....bit like a sardine tin key.
easier done than said.:winky:

failing that punch two drivers into the BOTTOM of the filter and cross over to form an X.......use the two drivers to lever against each other turning anti clockwise.
only applies if you have the room though.:Doh:

another option, if the filters clean and dry......a pair of marigolds or yellow silicone palmed builders gloves...amazing grip.

OP
OP
J and M on Mfun
Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
yey ::bigsmile: my boyfriend got the filter off, he used a wrench type thing and brute force and finally after much hurting his hands and cursing it came off, and he did an oil change....engine still sounds like an old tractor though:roflmto:

thanks ever so much for all your replies:thumb: what a brill club this is:Smile: next stop peterborough xjx

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Glad your boyfriend managed to get the filter off ok with nothing worse than losing his temper.

The last time I ever tried to remove a filter with a screwdriver I ended up in casualty with six stitches in my thumb for my troubles :Doh:

The stitches weren't anything as painful as the doctor trying to wipe all the oil out of the wound before he would stitch it. :cry::cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yey ::bigsmile: my boyfriend got the filter off, he used a wrench type thing and brute force and finally after much hurting his hands and cursing it came off, and he did an oil change....engine still sounds like an old tractor though:roflmto:

thanks ever so much for all your replies:thumb: what a brill club this is:Smile: next stop peterborough xjx

hope he smeared some oil on the rubber O ring when he put it back on or it'll happen again next time.:winky:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
yey ::bigsmile: my boyfriend got the filter off,

next stop peterborough xjx
We'll see you there then. :thumb:

I remember years ago (back in my yoof), when trying to change the oil filter on an old Ford Cortina Mk 1. I was ages trying to get the screwdriver to penetrate the filter, so that I could screw it off. :Angry:
When it eventually came off, I discovered that what I thought was the disposable metal filter....................................turned out to be the filter casing, containing a paper filter. :Doh::Doh::Doh:
I had to scrounge a lift to the local scrappy, and find another. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jock.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Nice one....