Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then.

We have just collected our MH from the repair man(y)......6 weeks it took..( raise your eyebrows )...6 weeks......it was only a ruddy fuel pump, ah well. Anyway, This is stringa doing the typing. Me our rose and our milly are going away in a short while for our second practice run, a few days at the coast.........then the biggy.
This is the biggy.....France Belguim Holland luxemberg Germany pop back into France and pop over into Italy:smiley::smiley:..........not sure if its doable but I have 6 weeks off soon and want to make a go of it and write a blog with pics for all to see.::bigsmile:
Do we just turn the key and follow our noses,:pinocchio: we are just about to book the tunnel.......good old Tesco...... and then turn left and see what comes along...is this what other funsters do or do I book somewhere first..............
cheers for reading
any tips?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No need to book anywhere unless you want to go somewhere really touristy for the first two weeks of August. But don't forget aires, you can't book them, and some get very full but they are cheaper than sites.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well hope you have a great time . but think you will be racing around like a tt.
why not just go slow drift around looking at villages etc .
i can understand anyone doing luxemburg then up the mosel . perhaps carrying on through germany to the old east side its fantastic over that side .
but that list is alot of miles to cover .
but have fun and drive safe .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
As the others have said don't rush around you have to enjoy it , don't stick to a rigid time table.

When we first started touring we kept moving every day or every other day we never got to see anything or I was to tired from driving all the time so take a few days out and chill .

Paul

Upvote 0

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Never booked in nearly ten years of touring the continent,even ended up going somewhere completely different,from where we intended ,like you said just follow your noses,who knows where you might end up.:D all part of owning a home on wheels.! Enjoy!!

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..then the biggy.
This is the biggy.....France Belguim Holland luxemberg Germany pop back into France and pop over into Italy:smiley::smiley:..........not sure if its doable

It's probably doable but when you get back will you need a holiday, will you remember it all ?

Actually Italy and back takes in all your countries, just go with the attitude, "hey, this is great, we'll stay a week" rather than "got to move on, not done Italy yet".

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
we did a similar trip two summers ago. Firstly through the Tunnel and then tossed a coin to go left or right. Ended up doing Brugge, Ypres first and then along the coast through Normandy down through the Loire Valley towards the Alps into Italy, Switzerland and then back via Bavaria and northern Germany.

We only booked sites a couple of days in advance if we wanted to be somewhere specific on a certain time, the only problems we had was arriving in a couple of french towns the weekend of their annual fair but usually found somewhere else nearby and trying to find a campsite in Chamonix last week of July was also a problem.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Personally, it's doable but although my handle is fidget because I don't stop anywhere more than a couple nights, I feel you will be doing a lot driving and not a lot of actually enjoying the countries that you're travelling to or through, slow down , keep off motorways/ peage then you will/may see the country & interesting towns /villages, just my opinoin. I drive a max of 180 miles a day usually less in an approximate direction of where I think I want to see or stop/stay (i.e. aire) giving us time to appreciate the area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then.
So far so good with the replies, im not daft then:whistle:........maybe my choice of countries was a bit much.
The way I was dreaming was 4 hour max driving a day every day just doing our own thing, will keep ya all posted while on the move, will be away on the 1st of Aug.:)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we just did provence and back in a week (all the time we could take off and wanted to go there) 200 miles round trip. we prefer to bash on for a day or 2 then slow down for a couple of days .

Upvote 0

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
We have just got back from similar 45day trip. Ardennes, southern Germany down to Fussen, over Fernpass and down to southern Austran Tyrol and into Italy at Mereno. Then Venice across Po Delta and over to Tuscany, loads of Chianti villages, Siena, Florence, Pisa and back over Simplon Pass to Montreux and Lausanne then a quicker drive up through very wet France.

Didn't stop at every place I would have liked to, but will go back. We do not do motorways and only about 500 of the 2775 miles were on dual carriageways. Italian roads are atrocious, they know how to do potholes there! We climbed loads of hills, went round hundreds of hairpin bends, met many kamikaze Italian drivers and had a great time.

Downside is we now need new clutch, not good at 32k but as I said to other half changing gear any times every mile is not your average commercial vehicle usage is it.

You have plenty of time to do the trip you plan, some days we did no mileage, sometimes 20 and very occasionally 200.

Have a great time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then.
Well that's another little practice run, popped down to Hunstanton for the weekend, nice weather and camp site ok as well.:)...............my arm aches due to all the waving I did,
sometimes I waved like a nutter and sometimes a little thumbs up....... and got about 3 waves back:crying1:.......ah well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back