What are Aires .. ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This question is asked quite regularly .. along with, are they safe, how do I find them.. etc etc ..

This article tells you just about everything you need to know.. including etiquette, so if you've never been to an Aire or have any questions read on..

Link Removed

Note. I have no commercial interest in the site or the books advertised.

Jim

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
sossingiz !!!

Just bought one from funster no.1 at the Carmarthen Show, upon scrutiny I wish I had bought one earlier !!!! The sausages that I bought from the show were PDG as well !! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi Jim,
Its not a bad book tbh,but the title is somewhat misleading,in as far as it only covers about half the aires.
Its also out of date,we went to Le Harve last week & the "main aire" is not there,and has not been there all this year (so we were informed)
BUT I would rather have than not :winky:

Gary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim,
Its not a bad book tbh,but the title is somewhat misleading,in as far as it only covers about half the aires.
Its also out of date,we went to Le Harve last week & the "main aire" is not there,and has not been there all this year (so we were informed)
BUT I would rather have than not :winky:

Gary

Its a goodish book spoilt by the fact the coordinates are in the wrong format - :Sad:ie not decimal.:cry:

Hi

I wasn't endorsing the book,( don't have it) just the article..

I use the Aires de Service Camping Car and the Camping Car Infos CD on the lappy ....

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I am a newbie but know of two aires?municpals sites that I have noticed are not in the book :RollEyes: also I think these are old established sites

champers

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Its a goodish book spoilt by the fact the coordinates are in the wrong format - :Sad:ie not decimal.:cry:

Wrong for you - OK for me.

Municipal sites are usually proper campsites where you can take caravans and tents and where you can leave chairs, tables and barbecues etc. Aires are (as I understand things) quire different as you are usually very restricted in what you can place outside the MH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
:Blush: apologies I have now found the one site is in the Aires book , and the other is a municipal site - I must get my glasses checked:Cool:( I wasnt sure before if an Aire/Municipal were the same thing thanks Oldun for explaining)

We have found so much info in the Aires Book , many thanks to those who told us
about it:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Aires are (as I understand things) quire different as you are usually very restricted in what you can place outside the MH.

Hi

Yes they are quite different, you don't have a pitch as such, but space permitting you can still sit outside, put your awning up and enjoy a barbie, much depends on the aire.. Some are free, others a few euro and many have an ehu..

We only use aires, last year we spent eight months touring France without using a site.. have a look here to see the variety..

Link Removed

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I am a big supporter of Aires and other similar over night halts but I do wonder about their regular use when you have children with you.

What do the kids do when on aires, surely a campsite with facilities for kids is better for them? It seems to me that they can't be having much fun.

I mention this as I met a family, with four kids aged about 7 to 14, who visited our stand at the recent Peterborough show. They had just come back from 6 months in the EU with every night free camping or on an aire.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am a big supporter of Aires and other similar over night halts but I do wonder about their regular use when you have children with you.

What do the kids do when on aires, surely a campsite with facilities for kids is better for them? It seems to me that they can't be having much fun.

I mention this as I met a family, with four kids aged about 7 to 14, who visited our stand at the recent Peterborough show. They had just come back from 6 months in the EU with every night free camping or on an aire.

I beg to differ,

I don't believe in man made facilities for kids, we look for aires on beaches, rivers, forests, with walking and cycling, fishing, surfing, canoeing etc.. . we travel to broaden her mind.. to let her explore and discover, we don't take our daughter just to put her into a swing park.. we could do that anywhere.

If an aire is not to our liking we don't use or move on the next day ..

Jim

Upvote 0

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

I suppose it depends upon what parents think a child needs to have fun.
Some parents would want a swimming pool, amusement arcade, TV room, talent show and ice cream parlour.

But remember when you were a kid, what you wanted was a stick and a rock to poke it under. And someone to explain what you had found.

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I beg to differ,

I don't believe in man made facilities for kids, we look for aires on beaches, rivers, forests, with walking and cycling, fishing, surfing, canoeing etc.. . we travel to broaden her mind.. to let her explore and discover, we don't take our daughter just to put her into a swing park.. we could do that anywhere.

If an aire is not to our liking we don't use or move on the next day ..

Jim

Spot on Jim,

Good to see real parenting, parents that have to go to these man made facillities lack in vision and parenting skills IMO.:thumb:

Regards

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Perhaps I didn't state the case very well. The family told me that they stayed most of the time on Aires in built-up area and never used what i would call wild camping.

It this type of over night stop that I find sterile for young and old. Wild camping where the kids have acres of space to explore is an ideal playground for th kids.

My only worry would e that kids usually enjoy the company of other kids and this may not e the case when off site. Kids should be allowed to be kids and not kept in adult company all the time.

My kids were always taken to the quieter campsites but usually they had a swimming pool, lake or the sea in which to play.

We never, or hardly ever chose sites with electronic games, kids clubs or 24/7 noise.

Upvote 0
G

geordie

Deleted User
The "All the Aires" Book I bought from Vicarious fell apart, almost every page came out:RollEyes: ALSO these English translations that cost a fortune make me laugh a French address is a French Address even when translated:RollEyes: As for the coordinates (French numbers translated to English Numbers :RollEyes: I have found quite a few that are wrong.

Buy the proper French aires Book, YOU WILL GET ALL THE AIRES THEN anyone can read it by looking at the little pics, and a picture of a telephone next to a number should give you a good idea as to what the number is, even if it has not been translated::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Buy the proper French aires Book, YOU WILL GET ALL THE AIRES THEN anyone can read it by looking at the little pics, and a picture of a telephone next to a number should give you a good idea as to what the number is, even if it has not been translated::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Couldn't agree more .. :thumb: ::bigsmile:

Never had a problem with the French Aires books.. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

ccl

Free Member
Sep 22, 2008
Rheindahlen, Germany
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
< 1 year
Perhaps I didn't state the case very well. The family told me that they stayed most of the time on Aires in built-up area and never used what i would call wild camping.

It this type of over night stop that I find sterile for young and old. Wild camping where the kids have acres of space to explore is an ideal playground for th kids.

My only worry would e that kids usually enjoy the company of other kids and this may not e the case when off site. Kids should be allowed to be kids and not kept in adult company all the time.

My kids were always taken to the quieter campsites but usually they had a swimming pool, lake or the sea in which to play.

We never, or hardly ever chose sites with electronic games, kids clubs or 24/7 noise.

Agreed. We are new to motorhoming and have 3 young children. As such we have yet to try a Stelplatz/aire even though the nearest stelplatz is only 4 miles away! We are taking the cautious approach of campsites with other children and things to play with so far. Bad experiences early on will lead to the rapid sale of a motorhome! :Sad: For example we are popping down to a Mosel campsite this weekend rather than one of the many stelplatz. (We will detour to check some out though)
If that means we lack in vision and parenting skills then tough:Angry: After 10 years at it we have found all families are different and we tend to take the simple approach. Kids happy = Parents happy. Last week we went to Delftse Hout. a lovely little campsite were we had a relaxing beer overlooking the children playing in the play area. First time in ages so it made it all worth it.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back