Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
My 15" Avtex is about 7 years old and I was surprised it's not got any HDMI input! It has SCART and a PC input but no HDMI.

My understanding is that SCART is strictly analogue and wont work even with an adapter.

Looks like I might be looking for a new TV...anyone overcome this?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My 15" Avtex is about 7 years old and I was surprised it's not got any HDMI input! It has SCART and a PC input but no HDMI.

My understanding is that SCART is strictly analogue and wont work even with an adapter.

Looks like I might be looking for a new TV...anyone overcome this?

What are you looking to connect to the TV?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can get adapters but all they to is make the digital HDMI signal analogue so your TV can process it via the SCART socket.

It really depends on the output device and what you're trying to do. It might work or it might not, all you can do is try it and see.

Broken Link Removed

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Assuming you're going to try to do wireless mirroring think you're probably screwed then if no HDMI.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
wireless mirroring think you're probably screwed then if no HDMI.

If you need any cable, HDMI or otherwise, how is it wireless? The clue's in the name (y)

On a Samsung TV that only works if both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. I've always found it too much of a faff and just plugged the device in with a cable, not using screen mirroring just selecting the HDMI source.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you need any cable, HDMI or otherwise, how is it wireless? The clue's in the name (y)

On a Samsung TV that only works if both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. I've always found it too much of a faff and just plugged the device in with a cable, not using screen mirroring just selecting the HDMI source.
Because you plug an HDMI dongle into the TV and the phone connect wirelessly to that.(y)
What sockets does the mobile have that enables you to connect wired to the TV?:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is probably the way I need to go because the screen has also become a bit dark of late! I was looking at these Finlux and was pretty impressed...especially with the price!
(y)(y)(y)

How are you planning to connect your smartphone to the TV?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Because you plug an HDMI dongle into the TV and the phone connect wirelessly to that.(y)
What sockets does the mobile have that enables you to connect wired to the TV?:unsure:

MD826.jpeg

(y)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
(y)(y)(y)

How are you planning to connect your smartphone to the TV?

I have an adapter that came from Maplin. I already use it on the house TV and it works brilliantly both on WIFI and even streaming with '3' on there 'eat as much data' plan.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Same here, I bought a Cello 19" but the sound was so tinny we relegated it to the kitchen in the house where it gets turned on once in a blue moon. The old Avtex is back in the van with a scart connection from the Sky box. So it's ÂŁ450 for a 24" Avtex or perhaps we'll look at the Finlux as I struggle to see the Avtex from any distance. :(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have an adapter that came from Maplin. I already use it on the house TV and it works brilliantly both on WIFI and even streaming with '3' on there 'eat as much data' plan.
(y)(y)(y)

You'll need to explain as I don't recognise that cabling. Guess the "small" end plugs into the phone? What socket and what output does that give?:unsure:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Same here, I bought a Cello 19" but the sound was so tinny we relegated it to the kitchen in the house where it gets turned on once in a blue moon. The old Avtex is back in the van with a scart connection from the Sky box. So it's ÂŁ450 for a 24" Avtex or perhaps we'll look at the Finlux as I struggle to see the Avtex from any distance. :(

I'm the same with the Avtex...for whatever reason the picture has declined and is now too dark. I have fiddled with the contrast and brightness but it wont go any brighter!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Slightly cheaper option albeit more space required. We plug in a pair of USB powered speakers.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
(y)(y)(y)

You'll need to explain as I don't recognise that cabling. Guess the "small" end plugs into the phone? What socket and what output does that give?:unsure:

Broken Link Removed

This is what I have for my S3. The short lead goes into the phone and the charger into the body of the adapter along with the HDMI cable from the TV. Turn it on and the TV replicates whatever is on the phone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Small end is an Apple Lightning connector so plugs into your iPhone or iPad. It gives you a standard HDMI output. Your TV will see it in the same way is it would see anything else connected by HDMI. Does the job for me perfectly well.

The only things it won't work for are apps such as SkyGo where the content provider (Sky etc) has blocked the ability to view on remote displays but mirroring wouldn't work either in that situation.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Small end is an Apple Lightning connector so plugs into your iPhone or iPad. It gives you a standard HDMI output. Your TV will see it in the same way is it would see anything else connected by HDMI. Does the job for me perfectly well.

The only things it won't work for are apps such as SkyGo where the content provider (Sky etc) has blocked the ability to view on remote displays but mirroring wouldn't work either in that situation.

But it's a Samsung smartphone the OP's got as per post #3? Does that work with that brand of mobile?:unsure:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But it's a Samsung smartphone the OP's got as per post #3? Does that work with that brand of mobile?:unsure:

That one obviously won't but don't know whether Samsung have copied it produced their own version. I was just answering your post #9 about how I would connect a mobile device to a TV using a cable.

Would be no good for the OP any way as it still doesn't solve the no HDMI point on the TV problem (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back