Electric Shock From Kitchen Sink (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My guess would be static discharging through the earth when you are plugged in.

If you dont get the same it would suggest it is a personal thing, or you dont wash up.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might just be static electricity and be down to the carpet or socks she is wearing but you need it checked.

An electrician could use a megger tester to see if there are any faults in the wiring. It shouldn't cost much for the test which would not take very long - but locating and fixing any fault might be a different matter.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone have any suggestions please?.
TM

Stop using it on hook up immediately, you just can't take chances with wet and 240V.

Is this on one particular hookup or more than one location ?

Anyway do not experiment, if you haven't the kit and knowledge use it do not use the sink on hookup, unless you fancy being a widower.

It could be worse than just the sink, if there is a fault on the earthing and it's picking up 240V your whole vehicle could be at 240V because it's standing on nice rubber tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Get a simple mains tester screwdriver & check whether there is some mains leakage. Depending on carpets / clothing it could simply be static build-up. If it proves to be mains leakage either get an electrician to take a look or, if competent, connect the sink to a good earth. Personally I suspect static - I'd lend you my wife because she has the same trouble and could tell you immediately what the problem was.

TBH you can tell fairly easily without any testing: if it's a one-off sudden shock when touching the sink it's static. If there's a continual tickly feeling when holding the sink, and you can feel it too, then it's mains leakage.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If it is just one sharp shock when she first touches the sink then it is likely static and caused by footwear or clothing. If it is a continuous issue and may feel like being grabbed a bit then it is probably 240v. If the latter disconnect from EHU /turn off inverter and don't use until sorted.

I cannot think of any reason for 240v to be routed anywhere near sink in a motorhome. None of my previous vehicles had anything anywhere near them with 240V in. The only electrics near the sink was the lights and these were all 12v.

My gut feeling is that it is static however it is well worth checking out.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a thought straight after I posted. I guess it may be possible for a van to have a 240V oven??? if so then this may have a connection to the sink. Just a possible?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The very same thing happens to my wife when she's washing her feet in the sink. :(

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hi,

Mrs. TM keeps complaining of shocks from sink on EHU.

Anyone have any suggestions please?.

TM

REMOVE EHU cable. get your MH checked. Electric shocks CAN KILL.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If she doesn't get a shock when not connected to EHU then it has got to be something to do with that side of it. As has been said it could be earthing out onto the sink but not sure why. In a domestic situation there will be earth straps on the pipe work under the sink (copper usually ) but in your MoHo there will only be plastic.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Quick read and my thoughts...
If it only involves the sink and ehu then you have a earth fault with a charge to sink...which would indicate you don't have a an trip on the mains or its not working... If you have try testing it..
I was thinking if it's a static build up on the person you would have the shocks at other times as well ..
My initial thoughts ..will have a better read

Andy..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
wear cotton knickers:(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Mrs. TM keeps complaining of shocks from sink on EHU. Anyone have any suggestions please?
She "KEEPS complaining"??? She goes back for MORE??? :eek:
Suggestion: Don't touch the sink Mrs TM!

Oh, and get the thing looked at by a pro electrician.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it was a 230v wiring fault the RCD would trip....or the RCD in the hookup post

If it doesnt it needs replacing.....as does the trip in the hookup post or house ring if at home..

My money is also on a static discharge.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My money is on a bad or poor earth,

have it inspected and tested ASAP and don't use 230v until it has been done..

as posted on another thread.. 'Hot Skin' as the Americans call it KILLS .. even with 110v supply

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back