Just Sayin' Hi.... Oh And Asking For Advice Too! (1 Viewer)

Mark Lee

Free Member
Jul 6, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet...
Exp
Hey folks!

The time has come for me to have the freedom I have desired for years! To have a mini home from home.

I've camped for years, but now I've had enough of setting up tents, dealing with wet muddy tents, finding a spot, etc... I just want to jump in my van and drive wherever, sleep wherever, do whatever I want! :)

I'd love to self build one. I'm an engineer and would be prouder if I put the work in myself. Plus, it's a long term project over the next year or so.

My question is what to use for my base. I'd love a VW 60's split screen camper, they look lovely! But, not practical for what I need. For me a T4 or T5 LWB would do, minus the bathroom facilities. But I think the missus would like to join me at times so I'd like to incorporate a toilet and shower. So, I've thought of mainly Transit Semi Hight LWB or Mercedes Sprinter. Something that still looks a little OKish as far as vans go.

Obviously the van has to be mechanically sound and if there are any big issues that I need to be aware of so I'm not stuffed a couple of years down the line.

Any suggestions from the other Self-builders?

Thanks,

Mark

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not a self builder yet because of time but I've bought 2 other people builds.. the first was a transit hi top lwb which was awesome while we had it but as we became more adventurous with our trips the lack of space got to us.. it is ok in the day and it is ok at night but the transition was awful. That first pee in the morning was a nightmare of contortions and having a coffee in bed isn't even slightly feasible.. with the bed made there just isn't room to move and all the cupboards are blocked.

Our new one is a Renault master and the extra size means we have the option of having the bed made up and still being able to move around and make drinks or brekky. In fact the weekend just gone we didn't put the bed away at all just left it made up..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the best shaped vans for conversion are the ducato or peugeot boxer (same van different badge) most other vans taper in at the top reducing usable space

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello Mark,
Welcome to the forum. We're towards the end of our self build. See http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
You might get some useful tips from the thread.

Terry , on the other hand, actually builds for others . There's not much he doesn't know about self builds.

Ralph's just doing this for us. His first attempt.
But when he retires , another 5 + years or so , He's thinking about doing a couple Bespoke conversions a year just to keep the Coffers full !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Panel Van Conversions are very popular right now and most invariably incorporate a decent shower/bathroom. Go to any show and you'll see hundreds of them and get plenty of inspiration. Best of luck and welcome to the fun. (Y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A good two berth van can be built into a 5.5m long Ducato with a decent sized loo and kitchen. Have a look at the layout of the Murvi Pimento, which I think they also do on the new Transit now as well. However, go up to the popular 6.0m long Ducato and you have more room for the kitchen and storage.

You might think you don't need a loo and shower but without these you will be struggling on aires or when wild camping. It can be done without plumbing so to speak, and has been, but, as you will know from tenting there is no substitute for comfort and convenience!

OP
OP
Mark Lee

Mark Lee

Free Member
Jul 6, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet...
Exp
Hello Mark,
Welcome to the forum. We're towards the end of our self build. See http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
You might get some useful tips from the thread.

Terry , on the other hand, actually builds for others . There's not much he doesn't know about self builds.

Ralph's just doing this for us. His first attempt.
But when he retires , another 5 + years or so , He's thinking about doing a couple Bespoke conversions a year just to keep the Coffers full !
Ralph-n-Bev, this is beautiful! I love the layout and looks to be just what I am after for me and Mrs! :)

OP
OP
Mark Lee

Mark Lee

Free Member
Jul 6, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet...
Exp
A good two berth van can be built into a 5.5m long Ducato with a decent sized loo and kitchen. Have a look at the layout of the Murvi Pimento, which I think they also do on the new Transit now as well. However, go up to the popular 6.0m long Ducato and you have more room for the kitchen and storage.

You might think you don't need a loo and shower but without these you will be struggling on aires or when wild camping. It can be done without plumbing so to speak, and has been, but, as you will know from tenting there is no substitute for comfort and convenience!
For me on my own (well tell a lie, it would be me and mutley) no toilet facilities would be fine. Currently I often diapear for a couple of days and just kip in the car boot! So a small van would do me fine. When I'm taking my lovely lady with me, thats a different matter. It would be nice to have the luxuries then to shower, toilet, have a TV, somewhere to cook a small meal.

I'll look up that Murvi Pimento layout. Cheers.

Reactions: DBK

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y)We have built on all sorts of vans from a VW Caddy-maxi (for sale;)) to the Fiat family of vans.Transits are OK but limited on width and at the top very narrow.Without doubt the Fiats etc are the ones to go for.VW splits are just stupid money as a rotten van let alone into a camper :)Plus they are still unreliable as they always were.T4/5 are more of a day van -as you say ok for you but your Lady will want more Loo/shower wise or you will be joining the double van size wind break lot :DIf you are going for a semi hi roof you may as well go for the hi roof at least you can stand up in it (y) rather than semi stooping ;)
Have a look at my threads I have put most of what we have built on here but there is a link below to the Transit and Caddy-It may inspire you ;) or at least give you ideas of not what to do :LOL:On Terry's self build Relay I have just about changed my mind on almost everything so done it all twice :LOL::LOL::LOL:and it's still not finished -merely stood waiting ;) for the second set of doors,all because I had a brain wave idea that I would farm out the edging of the doors :(:rolleyes::LOL:
terry

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Mark Lee, from the Wirral, good luck with your search as much info as you will need here, also your living in a great area to tour from and quite a few funsters from that area. (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
mine is also a self build you cant go wrong with the fiat citroen peug range as there is so much made for it its almost a square box and if your not exceptionally tall you can sleep across ways you can see pics in the links below

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back