Looking to buy - at long last! (1 Viewer)

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Decided to go ahead with our original decision and buy a motorhome - so we're finally in the market with 30-ish grand burning a hole in the proverbial pocket.
After all the looking at dealers' offerings and reading great stuff in MMM and on this excellent site we have buit a wish-list, below.
The next step is to seek advice from you experienced folk on who actually makes our 'dream motorhome' - if one actually exists!

What we'd really like:-

6 berth
Overcab bed
Rear U lounge
Dinette opposite kitcken
Separate shower / WC
Double floor – insulation, noise and secure storage
Fly screens
Roof rack & ladder
Tow bar
Scooter rack
Outside shower
Awning and safari room
Microwave
Gas alarms
Intruder alarm
Interior dead-lock
Corner steadies
Spare wheel
Not the 2.3 litre Fiat

Non-essentials, but would be nice:-

LPG tank
6 speed gearbox
Halfway screen / curtain
Air / assist suspension
Additional leisure battery/s

I'd really appreciate any and all comments.

Many thanks,

Norrie

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sounds like either a Swift Kon-Tiki (not sure of the model number) or Bessacarr E795 would fit the bill as they're both on the Al-Ko chassis that would give you the between-the-floors storage space you're looking for. Both would need to be second hand to get within your price range, but that means you'd avoid the Fiat 2.3 engine as they'd be on the previous 2.8jtd which didn't have the problems of the current model.

AutoTrail also do the Scout and Apache 700, but not sure whether these have the double floor.

Newer, for less money, would be the Swift/Bessacarr 495 and 695 models (695 has half-dinette up front, 495 has full dinette), but no double floor on either.

Good luck with your search. You've chosen exactly the layout Sue and I find perfect for us, by the way.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The important criteria you listed are

6 berth
Overcab bed
Rear U lounge
Dinette opposite kitcken
Separate shower / WC
and
Not A 2.3 Fiat

All the rest are either standard or fitted as extras ..

When you visit a dealers ..
Start by looking at C class double floor marques that are not 2.3 Fiat
that will probably narrow it down to a just few models.. or maybe none at all..

The layout you suggest is fairly standard so shouldn't be too hard to find.. you can then fine tune your choice by seeing what extras are fitted as standard and how much they cost retro fitted.

Personally I wouldn't entertain any Fiat .. 2.3 or otherwise ..

Good luck

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi.

I would fully endorse what Jim has said.::bigsmile: Remember that every motor home is a compromise, you will rarely find exactly what you are looking for.

Nothing can now replace looking at as many motorhomes as possible, even new models as converters all have their own style and this often follows through from previous models.:thumb:

I would not recomend Fiat, but if you must, go for the previous models pre 2006/7 as they were better and have proved themselves in use.

Hope you find what you want:thumb:

Best of luck
Dave

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Lots of stuff to fit those criteria.

I notice that you didn't mention seatbelted seats for the other passengers. Was this an oversight or do you not have the need for them? I don't know of any coachbuilt that has seatbelts in the U-shaped lounge area.

You're bound to get your dream machine before long.

Good hunting.

John

Upvote 0

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yes, John (JayDee) has raised a very valid - vital even - point re seatbelts, which I'd overlooked. It's amazing how many 'six berth' vans are actually 'six berths with only four seats' vans and apart from the obvious danger of carrying passengers in seats without belts, the law is about to change which will make it illegal to carry passengers in unbelted seats where other seats are fitted with them. I think that's right anyway....

CI do some six-berths with six belted seats, and I think the newer Swifts/AutoTrails do too.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Decided to go ahead with our original decision and buy a motorhome - so we're finally in the market with 30-ish grand burning a hole in the proverbial pocket.
After all the looking at dealers' offerings and reading great stuff in MMM and on this excellent site we have buit a wish-list, below.
The next step is to seek advice from you experienced folk on who actually makes our 'dream motorhome' - if one actually exists!

What we'd really like:-

6 berth
Overcab bed
Rear U lounge
Dinette opposite kitcken
Separate shower / WC
Fly screens
Roof rack & ladder
Tow bar
Scooter rack
Outside shower
Awning and safari room
Microwave
Gas alarms
Intruder alarm
Interior dead-lock
Corner steadies
Spare wheel
Not the 2.3 litre Fiat

Non-essentials, but would be nice:-

LPG tank
6 speed gearbox
Halfway screen / curtain
Air / assist suspension
Additional leisure battery/s

I'd really appreciate any and all comments.

Many thanks,

Norrie

Hi Norrie,

I have a 2006 Swift Kontiki 665 Voque T 6 berth 7020 miles with most of the spec you are looking for or a 2007 Rimor 689TC 5030 miles.

If they are of any interest more details and pics on our website.:thumb:

Good luck

Peter

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User

[You have got a tidy wad there to buy a really cracking ,but you could easily be throwing it away .As a cash buyer you can expect a good cash discount from a dealer £35,000 van down to around £30,000 with some toys thrown in and a warranty ,the balls in your court get as much as you can.If you buy the wrong van a year down the line the dealers won't want it in px or will give you a very low trade in and you may be stuck with it .Popular makes to go for ,Autotrail ,Swift,Bessecar,Hymer,Chausson ,CI,and there are others try and make your own research on the unpopular brands .If you can also visit a show or try and visit as many dealers as possible to see what aftersales they can offer .Be carefull it's a lot of cash to throw away .Best Luck:thumb:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have only one thing to suggest, If you intend to keep it for a long time and you intended to use it for more and a couple of months a year, Don't, please DON'T I repeat, DON'T buy a van from the SWIFT group.

Doug, a full (nearly) timer in a van from the Swift group for 4 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Mike, Jim, Dave, John, Mike, Peter, Stagman and Doug - thanks very much indeed to you all, I value every word.

I am wary of Fiat because I'm a biker and I'm not convinced the Italian bike industry understands electricity or quality control. But a huge amount of motorhomes are using the Fiat / Ducato platform so my fears are probably not warranted. But I don't want the 2.3. I would rather have Ford or Mercedes underneath but that limits choice further.

Although we are going to buy a 6 berth there are only 3 humans - and 2 dogs. We'll need the space. A couple of belted seats in the back would suffice....unless mutts have to be restrained???

Of the marques named we've already been impressed with the (visible) build quality of Autotrail. Bassacar & Kontiki seem very good too.

Doug - you've obviously had a bad experience with Swift so I'll go trawl this site and find out more rather than ask you to repeat it in this thread. But thanks for your input.

Now I'm off to have a peek at Peter's offerings.:Eeek:

Norrie

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have only one thing to suggest, If you intend to keep it for a long time and you intended to use it for more and a couple of months a year, Don't, please DON'T I repeat, DON'T buy a van from the SWIFT group.

Remember,
This is one mans experience whom only ever wild camps, has a negative opinion of all those that use a campsite as well as there campsite owners.

Although Doug is far better equiped to offer his opinion on a swift as he owns one and I don't, perhaps you should have a chat with the others whom own Swifts whom swear by them. i have just spent 10 nights away with 3 swift owners and a bessacar owner (same as swift) whom love them and would deffinately by them again, and one is like Doug, basically a full timer.

You mention an autotrail, I can direct you to someone whom has had such a negative experience that they would never buy again, I can do the same for an Adria. although I own one, love it and would buy again tomorrow even if they made it on a crap chasis like FORD. This of course is my opinion,. and like doug, I am entilted to it.
This therefore leads to your problem, you are obviously doing your research and rightly so when parting with what Stagman rightly descibes as a shed load of cash. You will get that many differing opinions for every model you fancy, you can bet your bottom dollar that when you find the model you want, someone will come along as Doug has on this occasion. So rule nothing in and nothing out. OUr first van was a CI, every dealer in the world warned us against it, yet it was an excellent choice for us and sold on very quickly.

My only further bit of help would be if your van is 30k look below that and use the additional saving to ge tth evan to what you want with extras.

Good luck with it and keep us informed.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Perfick, jus perfick !!!

I have an Auto-Trail Scout that I fulltime in,now three years old and 30,000 miles under its belt. All comfy wood inside, no plastic and carpets that come up with nice wooden floor underneath for when you are in sandy conditions and just need to sweep out. The rear lounge is a must so you can walk away from the washing up to do later....As Pa Larkin would say "perfick jus perfick !" Fuel consumption around 28-30 mpg. If you can then get the Gaslow system fitted.I just paid £20 for 26 litres of LPG. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I forgot to mention, don't bother with Brownhills !! they don't know the meaning of customer care !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Remember,
This is one mans experience whom only ever wild camps, has a negative opinion of all those that use a campsite as well as there campsite owners.

Although Doug is far better equiped to offer his opinion on a swift as he owns one and I don't, perhaps you should have a chat with the others whom own Swifts whom swear by them. i have just spent 10 nights away with 3 swift owners and a bessacar owner (same as swift) whom love them and would deffinately by them again, and one is like Doug, basically a full timer.

You mention an autotrail, I can direct you to someone whom has had such a negative experience that they would never buy again, I can do the same for an Adria. although I own one, love it and would buy again tomorrow even if they made it on a crap chasis like FORD. This of course is my opinion,. and like doug, I am entilted to it.
This therefore leads to your problem, you are obviously doing your research and rightly so when parting with what Stagman rightly descibes as a shed load of cash. You will get that many differing opinions for every model you fancy, you can bet your bottom dollar that when you find the model you want, someone will come along as Doug has on this occasion. So rule nothing in and nothing out. OUr first van was a CI, every dealer in the world warned us against it, yet it was an excellent choice for us and sold on very quickly.

My only further bit of help would be if your van is 30k look below that and use the additional saving to ge tth evan to what you want with extras.

Good luck with it and keep us informed.:thumb:

Well said Haganap

I agree totally with everything you said.

I own a Swift Kontiki and I absolutely love it.

I also agree that Norrie should keep some money back for extras as one can easily spend £8,000 on extras because I did just that.

Good luck Norrie, hope you find your dream motorhome, like the rest of us have already.

Lesley

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Hi Doug,

We use Sundances on our Hire Fleet, no problems and hire vehicles get well used.

OK they get checked over after every hire but we would not use them if they cost us money!

Peter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Are you visiting the Motor Home Show at Peterborough this weekend? Lot's there to see.

Nigel and Pamala

N&P,
We knew there was a show on but decided not to go because 1) we're really looking for a second hand motorhome and 2) we're already confused enough with the huge amount of choice! It's like choosing wallpaper - if there were only half a dozen patterns made it would be easy! :Doh:
The older I get the worse I get at making decisions.:Sad:

One thing that is becoming very clear is that, just like cars, motorbikes, holiday destinations and many more choices in life, perceived quality can be clouded by the unfortunate experiences of the unlucky few. I drive a Subaru Impreza and think it's a wonderful car - a friend of mine bought one (on my recomendation) and has had problems with it. He now tells everyone who'll listen how bad Subarus are......
At this point I'm looking for a Swift or an Autotrail 6 berth with a U lounge, hopefully with some of the options I originally listed. Holding some cash back for adding more of those options is a fine idea - I doubt we'll find exactly what we want.
But I will keep this fine forum informed - and I'm really enjoying the hunt!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have an Auto-Trail Scout that I fulltime in,now three years old and 30,000 miles under its belt. All comfy wood inside, no plastic and carpets that come up with nice wooden floor underneath for when you are in sandy conditions and just need to sweep out. The rear lounge is a must so you can walk away from the washing up to do later....As Pa Larkin would say "perfick jus perfick !" Fuel consumption around 28-30 mpg. If you can then get the Gaslow system fitted.I just paid £20 for 26 litres of LPG. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I forgot to mention, don't bother with Brownhills !! they don't know the meaning of customer care !!

Steve, thanks for that.
I'm viewing a private-sale '06 Auto Trail Scout SE this weekend. Any useful pointers regarding areas of weakness?
We're flying to Webb's in Wiltshire (wherever that is!) on Tuesday to view another Scout. Same model, slightly newer, same mileage but 3 grand cheaper and a 12 month warranty! Suspicious........
I know you don't rate Brownhills but any experience of Webbs?
Cheers, Norrie

Upvote 0

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years

Like Steve I have a 2006 Auto Trail Scout SE on a Fiat cab with a 2.8 engine.. When I read you wish list it read like my M/H. I bought mine secondhand through an AutoTrail dealer(Who sadly closed down 4 months later), who had sold the Scout to the first owner. I spent about 70 nights away in it last year and so far 18 nights since 1st. April this year.
The suppling dealer gave me a warranty for 12months as the first owner failed to have it serviced in the prescribed time window. My warranty turned out to be worthless as it requires the supplying dealer, now defunct, to undertake or authorise any work and the "official" looking warranty booklet has no other contact numbers.

However I am pleased to say that I have had no problems at all in the 14 months I have owned it apart from a small rust spot that appeared on the weld in the passenger side cab frame. This was easily and quickly rectified by a body shop. I have just had the Habitation service undertaken at White Arches and they found no problems and it is having its service and first Mot later this month at Redvers of Swindon courtesy of the Christmas Auction of favours on this forum.

My Scout is a standard SE model apart from the previous owner had a Gaslow system fitted.

Whilst I could have bought a New 2008 model I decided that the then "judder" problem was emerging and Fiat still don't seem to be addressing it if you read the many threads on it.

I wish you well in your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks Carpyone.
What exactly is a Gaslow system? Many owners seem to rate it.

Upvote 0

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Many thanks Carpyone.
What exactly is a Gaslow system? Many owners seem to rate it.

A refillable gas system used for heater and water heater as well as cooker. Once fitted instead of changing gas bottles when empty you can fill up at an LPG point at a petrol station or supermarket.. Especially useful when traveling abroad when our red/blue gas cylinders are not widely available.

see Gaslow - home

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Scouters,

The 2006 Scout SE I viewed on Saturday was very nearly perfect for us, but there's another one at Webb's in Warminster and we're flying down to view it on Wednesday this week.
The 'Saturday' one had fitted carpets which I note Steve's doesn't have and I like the idea of lifting them easily. Was that an option when new or can it be changed easily?
The U rear lounge was shorter on one (loo/shower) side. Is that the case with them all or was that a 2006(06) thing? Not a real problem, just curious.
Those aside I think the Scout is magnificent and we're very likely indeed to buy one of the two this week.
Getting really excited now......::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi Norrie,

My Scout has fitted carpets.

In the U shaped lounge the seat on the loo side is shorter.

The 2009 Scout has got two short seats as they have installed a large fridge/freezer to the right of the entrance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that Carpyone.
The last thing we'll need is a large fridge/freezer! My wife tends to fill our huge one at home and I'm gently trying to introduce the idea of shopping every few days rather than cramming it, presumably in case of Armageddon.
The shorter rear seating doesn't really matter much.....I think.
Webb's have said on the phone that since I'm going to be 450 miles away they'll honour the warranty via a dealer local to me. I suppose that's normal? I'll ask Knowepark and Perthshire just in case.
Norrie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Update

Briefly:

Knowepark (my local dealer) had never heard of Webbs and said they would not honour any such warranty 'agreement'.

Flew down to Bristol, hired a car and drove to Webbs. We couldn't find a salesman (they knew we were coming) and the Scout was - in my view - not prepared for sale. Then someone locked it so we left.

Drove to Cockermouth (honest!) on Saturday and bought Ken's beautiful Scout SE.

I'm away on a motorbike "tour" of Eastern Europe on Thursday so he's kindly agreed to hold onto it until I get back on 6th of June. So, for the first time ever, I will be relishing the thought of a holiday coming to an end!

Can't wait. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Got one at last.

Unusually for me everything went according to plan. ::bigsmile:
We toured Eastern Europe for 16 days on motorbikes; encountered the worst motorway in the northern hemisphere (Poland), were moved by Birkenau (Auschwitz), avoided 'gypsies, tramps & thieves' in Hungary, got a speeding ticket in Austria's Brenner Pass and ate their cake in the Black Forest. Pretty good overall.

On returning home we picked up our 2006 Scout SE and what a pleasure that was. Now trying to sort out what switch does what :Eeek: and buy the bits and pieces we'll need for our new adventures - although when we drove up to Perthshire Caravans we couldn't buy a damned thing as they've burned down!

Serious thanks to all those who gave us advice on motorhomes, it was a huge help. :thumb: I will be asking more questions.....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back