Which Size Alternator Please? (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all. :)

I can't gain access to the alternator, to get the model/part number nor the amps output figure, so as to order a new one, and I can't take the old one off, as I need to move the MH to the workshop.

Can anyone tell me if it would be the 80A, (don't think so somehow) 110A, or the 120A, that would have been fitted.
Although I have supplied the chassis number to Ford & Slater (Fiat Professional), they can't tell me which one was originally fitted.
It's a 99 Hymer on a Ducato 230 (Maxi), 2.8TDi with cab air con, and the engine code is 8140.43, version 1.48.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Am not mechanically minded but if they are physically the same Size and it fits in the hole does it matter if the amp out put is more ?

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yes thanks Simon, and like F & S, I get three options, ie, Ducato platform, bus, or box chassis, hence the choice of three amperage outputs.

@ScotJimland, Not yet Jim, but will do. Thanks. (y)

Cheers,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Failing that Jock .. a call or email to Link Removed

if anyone knows .. he will

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jim, that link keeps coming up as an error code 666, after I enter the Vin No. :(

F&S just phoned to say that Fiat have discontinued the 110A alternator, and to fit the 120A one, would require quite a bit of alteration, so that narrows it down a bit then. :) I reckon the 80A will be too small an output, so I'll possibly go for the 110A, but from a good Motor Factor.

Cheers,

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
have you considered having it reconditioned we had ours done i think it cost about 60 odd pounds cant remember exactly but has been fine ever since and it only took 1 day to do worth a thought . hope this helps

siilybug

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Have you tried putting your reg. into a car parts place online? They might not compensate for the extra load of a mh though...

Worth a try maybe.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/
http://www.eurocarparts.com/
Simon, these two are the same company, and although there is one in P/boro, they only sell reconditioned units, but thanks for the info. (y)

have you considered having it reconditioned we had ours done i think it cost about 60 odd pounds cant remember exactly but has been fine ever since and it only took 1 day to do worth a thought . hope this helps

siilybug
Yes, I did consider that thanks. :) The problem for me, is that I have to move the vehicle to my pal's workshop, have the alternator and cambelt replaced at the same time, and then drive home. There is not the facility for the MH to be sat there waiting for the alternator to be reconned, or for any further delay in waiting for a new one, if it can't be rconned.

Cheers,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Failing that Jock .. a call or email to Link Removed

if anyone knows .. he will
Just spoke with him Jim, but he doesn't know which one would have originally been fitted.

I've got the Fiat Part No now, so I'll try cross referring with aftermarket makes.

Cheers,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Am not mechanically minded but if they are physically the same Size and it fits in the hole does it matter if the amp out put is more ?
and to fit the 120A one, would require quite a bit of alteration,
I imagine that will be to do with the different backplate and connections. :(

Cheers,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just spoke with him Jim, but he doesn't know which one would have originally been fitted.

was worth a try..

you explained about your pals workshop .. understood, but when he gets the old one off, can he not take it to a motor factor for exchange .. ?

they are normally exchange units anyway ..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Alternator ordered, and should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. (y)Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

I might see about getting the old one reconditioned.

I also got the cambelt today, but only noticed the seal broken when I got home, and guess what? Yep, the wrong blooming belt in the right box. Exchange on it's way tomorrow. (y)

Thanks all for help and info. (y)

Cheers,

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
not long ago had mine changed (2004 2.8jtd) was 110amp i replaced it with a 150 which i got from euro carparts cost £2oo and a bugger to fit as slightly bigger.
Steve

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I thought Hymers were normally fitted with 180 amp alternators I think thats what my one has.
I did mention to F&S (Fiat Professional) that I was sure the converter specified a higher output alternator, but that didn't raise any eyebrows, so to speak.
Anyway, as Steve posted above, (thanks Steve (y) ) the original from his 2.8JTd was a 110A, so that'll do me, as I also have the Sterling B2B 50A Charger.
Getting the larger 120A output wasn't going to be worth the hassle to alter, as it is quite different at the rear. :(

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
not long ago had mine changed (2004 2.8jtd) was 110amp i replaced it with a 150 which i got from euro carparts cost £2oo and a bugger to fit as slightly bigger.
Steve
BTW Steve, when I did look at what Europarts offered, it was only an 80A unit for £145, plus a £72 surcharge. :eek:

Cheers,

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
it was becouse of the b2b i burnt the old one out. My own fault they did say to fit the sensor wire but i knew best :cry:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
it was becouse of the b2b i burnt the old one out. My own fault they did say to fit the sensor wire but i knew best :cry:
Steve, how long from the time of fitting the Sterling B2B charger, did the alternator burn out please?
Our B2B was fitted over three years ago, and the alternator was about thirteen years old then, so we've done well. ;)

Cheers,

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
it was a combination of things i think, i had been onsite no hook up for 3 days so batteries were down, i left site at night and it was December so cold. With everything on, lights, heater, wipers and the b2b the alternator was overloaded. I should have isolated the b2b as it was not necessary the split charger would have been ok at 10 amps and i was on my way home. But there you go a lesson learnt

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
it was a combination of things i think, i had been onsite no hook up for 3 days so batteries were down, i left site at night and it was December so cold. With everything on, lights, heater, wipers and the b2b the alternator was overloaded. I should have isolated the b2b as it was not necessary the split charger would have been ok at 10 amps and i was on my way home. But there you go a lesson learnt
Unlucky Steve. :(

Cheers,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Job done. (y)

The old alternator was a Valeo 110A, so the new one turned out to be the correct size and rating...............thankfully. :)

Any recent problems which arose as a result of the faulty alternator, (even prior to it's final demise) have all now been resolved. (y)

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back