Fiat 2.5 Td Oil Filter Thingie..... (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Mr Muggins, (me), decides that it's oil change time, so he looks up the filter number supplied with the engine bumph, Mann filter W718, and duly orders the same. Imagine his surprise when he finds that the oil filter fitted to his Sloopy Wagon is almost twice the size, both in length, width and seal size. Fitted is a Fram PH4847A.........Nothing listed for this filter from Fiat. It's not as though the filter housing would take the Mann unit....
And so, the question is, why was this huge filter fitted. Was it a modification to increase filtration? I cant find anything on this, and so can only assume that this was a later add on. Any ideas???
Puzzled in the head, Lancaster...:Eeek::Eeek:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Mr Muggins, (me), decides that it's oil change time, so he looks up the filter number supplied with the engine bumph, Mann filter W718, and duly orders the same. Imagine his surprise when he finds that the oil filter fitted to his Sloopy Wagon is almost twice the size, both in length, width and seal size. Fitted is a Fram PH4847A.........Nothing listed for this filter from Fiat. It's not as though the filter housing would take the Mann unit....
And so, the question is, why was this huge filter fitted. Was it a modification to increase filtration? I cant find anything on this, and so can only assume that this was a later add on. Any ideas???

Cant answer spacifically but i suspect better filtation mine also 1994 2.5td not listed as makers spec but local suppliers equivellent
IMG_20150415_112239.jpg

And its big !

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Can't help mate not got a clue about engines, but glad to see your back and looking forward to your replies on various subjects putting the fun back into funster(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

The oil filter fitted to my 2.5td is also a Fram PH4847A.

It might have depended upon which factory the engine was made?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
P'raps there was a problem at some time with the inner workings of the sludge receptor and due to the malfunction they had to fit this extra large external filter to cope? :whistle:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
P'raps there was a problem at some time with the inner workings of the sludge receptor and due to the malfunction they had to fit this extra large external filter to cope? :whistle:
Maybe. I have noticed that the oil pipe to the turbo comes from the mounting, so maybe that has something to do with it.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
didn't seem worth the expense of repairs. :(
........................Which is why you own a cottage in Scotland. It's rubbing off on you! Forsake the haggis butties, and spend a few bob.......(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back