Putting A Connection In A Hook Up Cable ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The hook up cable we got with our MH is very long ! We are beginners and on the two sites we have stayed at the cable was nuisance getting tangled up ! We realise of course at times the length of the cable will be needed.
So I am considering cutting the cable in half and putting pair of blue plugs so they can be connected up when the length is needed.

The plugs
Broken Link Removed

Are there any pitfalls in doing this ? For instance would a joint using blue plugs be susceptible to rain ?
Just thought it worth asking before doing it.

Thanks !

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Plus a short lead plus the one you have may come in handy in France where hook ups can be a greater distance apart then a cc club site.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So long as you put a waterproof bag securely round a join it will be okay, or you can actually buy coupling covers anyway.

We cut ours into 2 lengths, one is 2/3rds the other 1/3rd.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
why not just get another short hookup lead.

That would mean taking both the very long lead we have and a short one as well everywhere we go if we don't know the set up at the site. I store the lead in a space down the back of the toilet and getting another lead in is not possible. Less kit and clutter and all that ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As hook-ups often take place over potentially wet ground, it would certainly be wiser to use a shorter cable rather than make any break in the cable, although, like many other people, I have seen connections made and encased in plastic bags; the risk is theirs.
Generally it is also unwise to leave large parts of the cable still coiled up. Over any distance the cable can get warm (resistance) and the heat if coiled up could build up and become dangerous.
Alan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That would mean taking both the very long lead we have and a short one as well everywhere we go if we don't know the set up at the site. I store the lead in a space down the back of the toilet and getting another lead in is not possible. Less kit and clutter and all that ...

you need to update your profile ;)

says you don't own one yet ..:LOL:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you uncoil the lead carefully and run it back and forth between your van and the hook up socket it should not get in a tangle nor be in the way. However if you treat cable like some do a washing line and wind it around your elbow it will soon be FUBAR'd

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Both the above,get a 14 mt cable made up,and as ScotJimland says,jointed cables are a hazard and not acceptable on most sites. We were on a super CL at Thornton Stewart/ward ?,Yorkshire,the owner leaves a few assorted leads up in the corner so that if anyone is parked just a bit out of reach,can extend their lead,when a site inspector turned up in a VW Camper,he walked around and started shaking his head,he did not like the joined cable.
It can be dangerous for a variety of reasons,however,on some sites in Fance/Germany, you could end up useing 2 full lengths,just take care. We always have two 25mt and one 14 mt,belt and braces LOL,plus,often people will turn up minus their lead,sorted.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
So in general its not a great idea.

What I have done for now is wind up from one end to half way and cable tie the loop so it stays neat and tidy together. Then I did the same from the other end and cable tied that up the same.
So if I need just half I just undo one half. If the full length is needed then I undo both loops.

But a fella on a site down south last weekend said leaving cables looped up would cause a resistance and knacker them. In 40 year in construction I have never heard of resistance in electric cables. I have heard of wound cables overheating but only if a lot of power is being drawn through them. With many sites having a limit on drawn power I cant see that happening ? But cables are not my specialty

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My 10 metre lead but the same would apply with a longer one
image.jpg

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just plug into the van, walk back & forth along the rear of the pitch, or the side of the van, unloading cable as you go until you get to the end, then plug into the bollard.
If your lead's getting tangled up as you store it, we just make a big loop - about 2 metres I think - and wrap a velcro strap around it before loading into the van.
Or you could try something like these:
upload_2015-7-5_18-51-53.jpeg
upload_2015-7-5_18-52-10.jpeg

but don't forget to uncoil the cable fully before plugging into the bollard.

I have heard of wound cables overheating but only if a lot of power is being drawn through them.
CC and CCC ask you to unwind fully because of the potential for overheating. Even if it's a very, very low risk, I believe it's best not to take even that chance. Watch YouTube videos of how quickly a van burns down.

EDIT: I know I'm a newbie and may be talking garbage but that's what I think anyway (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So long as you put a waterproof bag securely round a join it will be okay, or you can actually buy coupling covers anyway.

I must disagree
using a waterproof bag is poor advice.. it can leak and fill up .. I've seen that happen, covers give mechanical protection.. but can also leak and fill up ..

Th one you pont to is Splash Proof..
it should trip the EHU .. but if that failed it could kill a person or an animal that just happens to step near it ..

use a full lead if at all possible.. joints laying around are a hazard

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must disagree
using a waterproof bag is poor advice.. it can leak and fill up .. I've seen that happen, covers give mechanical protection.. but can also leak and fill up .. it should trip the EHU .. but if that failed it could kill a person or an animal that just happens to step near it ..

use a full lead if at all possible.. joints laying around are a hazard
It depends on the quality of the bag and how well you seal it I suppose! As for a potential danger ... having a long lead in use when it's not needed can be a trip hazard ... as can awning pegs, ropes, etc, etc, etc. If an electric cable was tripped over and pulled out from the van (it can happen) that could also kill someone ...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It depends on the quality of the bag and how well you seal it I suppose! As for a potential danger ... having a long lead in use when it's not needed can be a trip hazard ... as can awning pegs, ropes, etc, etc, etc.

why give that advice when it is at best poor.. there is no depends on anything .. it's against best practice, common sense and IEE regs

and citing other potential hazards doesn't make an argument stronger..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Blue plugs and sockets have an IPx4 rating so as long as they aren't sat right in a puddle they should be fine on the floor. They are designed for outdoor use! The connection to the post and to your van is outdoors. There's no difference.

Agree with @ScotJimland Don't use any of those covers or carrier bags or anything. It's asking for trouble.

It's obviously better not to join them but if you need to it's fine. Just keep an eye on them if it's wet and keep them away from any standing water. Even if water does get in all that will happen is that you trip the post out so it's not going to be the end of the world.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Alternatively if you're that worried about it use something like this.

It's IP68 rated which is submersible (if fitted correctly)

hylec-apl-16a-ip68-teeplug-3-pole-mains-plug-and-socket.jpg

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
why give that advice when it is at best poor.. there is no depends on anything .. it's against best practice, common sense and IEE regs

and citing other potential hazards doesn't make an argument stronger..
I'm not arguing, although you appear to be ... all I've just done is suggest a way of donig something which IMV if done sensibley can be safe ... you don't agree and that's fine but I DO have the right to post my view.

Many things are done 'against best practice' but that doesn't mean they are wrong ... as for common sense - if you aren't happy with joining them then don't, no-one is forcing you to do it ... common sense does coming into it but it depends on how sensible you are!

A question for you ... do you use a reverse polarity converter or a continental plug converter ... if so how you to you ensure it is safe when connected to the end of your English cable ...

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If there was a problem with water and joint in the cable would the trip switch thing on the post not trip out .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@MinxyGirl of course you have a right to post your opinion.. as do I ..

but when it comes to electrical safety there is only one way.. the correct way.. not your way or my way.. but the SAFE way . That's why we have electrical regulations.

plastic bags over cable joints to protect from rain is a No No.. end of.

I do not use a reverse polarity tester.. .. ( A misnomer, as AC does not have polarity)
not sure why you are asking, I have given my view on this many times...there are dozens of threads about it.. no need for yet another.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You might be safe on a modern UK site but there are some dodgy electrics out there in the rest of Europe. I wouldn't trust them to trip.

We arrived in sunshine at this site in Spain. Then a thunderstorm hit.

OI000729.jpg

After the hail it rained so heavily there was a river running under the MH!

These plugs and sockets are rainproof but they are not really waterproof in the sense they can be immersed in water.

My advice to the OP would be if storage is limited just stick with what you have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back