Pasta Water In Your Grey Tank (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
A thought for you:

If you cook dried pasta in your 'van, drain the used water into another container and leave it overnight. You may find that it develops a wallpaper paste like consistency and it may be one of the main contributors to creating a smelly grey waste tank. We dump our pasta water elsewhere now and have fewer smells from the waste tank.

This water was used to cook pasta on Friday night. Photo taken on Sat morning.
View media item 15882

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A thought for you:

If you cook dried pasta in your 'van, drain the used water into another container and leave it overnight. You may find that it develops a wallpaper paste like consistency and it may be one of the main contributors to creating a smelly grey waste tank. We dump our pasta water elsewhere now and have fewer smells from the waste tank.

This water was used to cook pasta on Friday night. Photo taken on Sat morning.
View media item 15882
The reason for a smelly grey waste tank is trillions of micro-organisms breaking wind! No joke. They spend all their time noshing your food waste, (as well as dead skin and other bodily stuff).
By introducing either a bio cleaner, or an acid or alkali version, you kill them, thereby stopping them fa**ing, and so removing the smell. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The reason for a smelly grey waste tank is trillions of micro-organisms breaking wind! No joke. They spend all their time noshing your food waste, (as well as dead skin and other bodily stuff).
By introducing either a bio cleaner, or an acid or alkali version, you kill them, thereby stopping them fa**ing, and so removing the smell. (y)
Always trust an expert :)(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we make spaghetti bolognese at home we always make twice the amount and freeze half. That way it can be a one pot meal in the van which avoids boiling pasta and is quick and easy on a travelling day.

We cook potatoes in with the meat in the double skillet. No water and roasties into the bargain (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pete, anything edible will smell if allowed to become infected with micro organisms. It matters not what you flush down into the tank.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If we are on an aire / camperstop, I normally pour any starchy water straight down the grey water emptying trough. If one is not available, it goes down the toilet into the Thetford cassette (so long as we are not at risk of having no toilet emptying option for a day or two!).

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

We put bio washing-up liquid down our waste pipes to clean them and the tank for this reason.

Most waste will provide a nutrition source for bacteria but the starchy water may also a surface on the side of the tank that can trap more waste and provide a greater surface area and food for bacteria to live and feed on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I use a sealed bucket on board for such waste, coffee grinds included, and then just take the bucket to the grey water disposal point. Whether it makes any difference or not I don't know, but it makes me feel better!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Pete, anything edible will smell if allowed to become infected with micro organisms. It matters not what you flush down into the tank.
I think the point is the starchy water is a feast for the flatulent organisms lurking in the waste tank. Most other stuff which goes down the plug will be at best poor fodder for them.

I think I will give this a go on our next trip, draining pasta and rice water into a basin or bucket. I have tried bio liquid in the waste tank but it doesn't work for us, only the expensive Dometic Power Care Tabs work effectively.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you @Mattyjwr for the tip.

As an aside - don't know about the waste tank but I've found not eating pasta or potatoes because of the starch content has helped enormously preventing IBS pain (for any sufferers out there) :)

Reactions: CWH

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Don't put the water you use to boil or peel eggs in down the drain either, especially if the egg has burst while boiling.

( Tootles....its the suphur compounds in the egg: they decompose to make hydrogen sulphide, which smells.)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
( Tootles....its the suphur compounds in the egg: they decompose to make hydrogen sulphide, which smells.)
That's a relief! I thought it was the wife washing her knickers in the bathroom sink! :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes I agree with what you say, but surely a bit of prevention is better than a cure. Pete
I think that at this time of year, whatever you pour into the tank will smell.................even soapy water just used for washing with. The enclosed tank will always provide a great propagation area for micro organisms, which themselves generate heat and methane. This is the reason why sewers never freeze in winter.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As an aside - don't know about the waste tank but I've found not eating pasta or potatoes because of the starch content has helped enormously preventing IBS pain (for any sufferers out there) :)

Probably for a similar reason, that the starch and micro-organisms create gas that causes irritation and pain.

Cheap cola is often said to help kill drain smells - maybe because it upsets the Ph balance in the tank?????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Cheap cola is often said to help kill drain smells - maybe because it upsets the Ph balance in the tank?????
maybe..

but I find peeing in the sink has the same effect :ROFLMAO:

back on track.. frankly, I never worry about what goes down the drain..except coffee grinds, cooking fat and oil .

grey tanks smell.. always have done.. provided you have proper waste traps it's not a problem..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
provided you have proper waste traps it's not a problem..
I seem to find it's not the waste traps that are a problem Jim, but the tank overflow vent. Trying to work out if I can get a trap device for that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ahem, even more bluntly, I don't wear any. :) Everything I buy is far too 'restrictive'........:cry:
... you got a fat a*se then Tootsy???? :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back