I Know, I Know, Another Loo Thread... (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Right. Before I start, I know many of you on here use Lidl Bio stuff and have done for years and it's perfect etc etc, but I have tried and I for one don't get on with it. :sick: So, I'm back to using blue sachets, as I prefer them. Whilst checking prices for the tried and true Thetford sachets, I came across the following ones and wondered if any of you have tried them? They are considerably cheaper but I don't want to waste money!
http://www.alexshanks.com/coachkem-...0lGA4rrVWtvxCpfbveQO3UbO77rl61l7kcaApVm8P8HAQ

Thanks in advance for your help! (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you considered fitting a SOG
I fitted my own, was a simple DIY job
Now we don't use any chemicals whatsoever AND the fan acts like an extractor by removing any unpleasant odours from the bathroom
AND you can use any toilet paper you like - even the soft fluffy ones!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never tried them but I have used Elsan liquids (before switching to Lidl) and they have worked. So long as they are genuine Elsan and not another scam like the fake 5 Litre Elsan Blue bottles then they should be OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also have a SOG but also use chemicals. .. tried the bio washing liquid and wasn't impressed..

Should be good.. Elsan is reputable company , but after adding postage of £7.31 .. , £20.46 total .. not so cheap at 50p a pop

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph fitted a sog on Pug Gerri. It works great. No liquid or blue stuff now. AND no smells in the van.
The vent is under the van too, not the side.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Haven't seen those for years.......always used to use them and they worked fine .....but then didn't seem to be able to find them... thanks for the link I may invest in some:thanks3:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have always used Dometic tabs - look like dishwasher tablets, no whiffs at all. They also do " green " ones if you are that way inclined or going to Germany ( as we are in 5 days time, should the tunnel be sorted out)

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Have you considered fitting a SOG
I fitted my own, was a simple DIY job
Now we don't use any chemicals whatsoever AND the fan acts like an extractor by removing any unpleasant odours from the bathroom
AND you can use any toilet paper you like - even the soft fluffy ones!
I have a read a little about them, but my concern is not so much the smells in the van, but the emptying. Surely without chemicals and so forth the emptying is unpleasant?

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I also have a SOG but also use chemicals. .. tried the bio washing liquid and wasn't impressed..

Should be good.. Elsan is reputable company , but after adding postage of £7.31 .. , £20.46 total .. not so cheap at 50p a pop
True, but the Thetford ones work out at a £1 a time, so I'd be saving 50%! And I know other methods are cheaper but I've tried Lidl etc and as I'm the one on loo duty all the time I'm insisting on making it as pleasant as possible!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
True, but the Thetford ones work out at a £1 a time, so I'd be saving 50%! And I know other methods are cheaper but I've tried Lidl etc and as I'm the one on loo duty all the time I'm insisting on making it as pleasant as possible!

yes I agree .. bio liquid doesn't do it for me either..

cheapest way is to buy 4lt of Elsan blue .. about £13

using 60ml per doze gives 66 dozes .. at 20p each

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have a read a little about them, but my concern is not so much the smells in the van, but the emptying. Surely without chemicals and so forth the emptying is unpleasant?
Quite the contrary - no different at all
And there is no nasty chemical smell in the bathroom either

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
sorry to disagree .. . but without chemical it makes me feel quite sick emptying raw sewage ..
I find it less unpleasant, as you don't get that overpowering chemical smell
And in 'use' there is no smell at all in the bathroom

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I'm intrigued by the SOG, but now on a tight budget with the holiday approaching its something to consider later. In the meantime I might just give the Coach Tabs a shot. Thanks for all your helpful replies guys! Xx

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Camping mainly at THSs and rallies means I use many varied disposal points for the contents of the cassette. Since starting to use bio liquid I not only notice few offensive odours when doing so but also have done away with the offensive odours produced by the various chemical treatments.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - we use Lidl Bio too - but there again, is cassette emptying EVER a pleasant job, whether it pongs or not?

You are after all, whether you use anything in your cassette or not, entirely dependant on what has already been tipped down that hole previously, that you are emptying into, aren't you? Yes on some campsites it's kinda like a loo pan, complete with cistern and water flush, but they are few and far between. At some 'rustic' locations a hand-dug latrine is more like what you get. Although the hand dug ones at least, used to be buried again after, same as your grease- pit!

We were going to a fishing lake in France, owned by a British ex-pat - and there was no mention of a loo at all on the website - so I asked him whether we needed to chuck a spade in and DIY - as 10 of us were going! Turned out there WAS a loo - but we did have a laugh. We both said 'It's been a long time since we've had to do that - but we think we can remember how - it ain't rocket science!'

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Gerri19 have you only tried the one brand we use a bio clothes washing liquid (not washing up) the surf one with a nice smell, you have to experiment with the amount but it does work out a lot cheaper could be worth another shot. :Smile:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
...although I'm new to the joys of cassette odours, I have found daily emptying to make the task less unpleasant... And if that's not possible then I chuck in another glug of laundry liquid...
...but then again maybe my sh*t smells of roses :rofl:
That usually works for me a daily change and a bit of glug or not......mind you I used to live next to a pig farm:sick:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I just cut a hole under the toilet and let it flow out that way.

Not bought any chemicals.

No smells either although we tend to only stay at one place for the night.
Nobody spotted that yet (y)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Used Lidl/aldi Bio for years now but we empty daily so no problem. Use Blue when in storage for any length of time. Each to our own my preference is to keep the use of formaldehyde based environmentally destructive and polluting chemicals to an absolute minimum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back