Mirror Protectors - Fiat Ducato / Peugeot Boxer / Citroen Relay - Any Good? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
I have a nasty habit of 'thwaking' the mirrors on my Ducato Based Chausson. I have been tempted to fork out to buy some of mirror protectors such as these

but feel that I might end up 'thwaking' and breaking them instead. At £50 a time it remains expensive and might be even more expensive if the protector does not work and the mirror still gets damaged.

Does anybody have any experience - do they break when you hit something? Do they protect?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We took our camper out the other day to get some timber for our car port roof, we were parked tight up to the side of the road which was wide anyway, and there was a car before us so traffic had to swing out to avoid it anyway however some tw*t didn't pull out enough and must have thwacked our mirror with his, I heard a noise but didn't realise what it was until we got back in and noticed the mirror was flat against the window ... the prat had belted it hard and had put a crack in the indicator lens on the side of it. It's still quite solid so we don't need to replace it and can glue it to seal the crack and make it waterproof. The main mirror casing was unmarked as the indicator had taken the full force of the bash therefore even if we had got some mirror protectors on it wouldn't have stopped this from happening.

Basically, if you want them then get them but don't assume that they will totally protect your mirrors.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
saw an impact recently where it caused the small wide angle mirror to dislodge from its motor mount.. the motor mount broke (three plastic holders ) , but both mirror and motor were prevented from falling on to road by the wiring.. so it was a fair impact, and I was surprised that there was no other damage... the mirror guard as in your picture above wasn't even marked, so id say in this case they did the job....
andy

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can't answer your question except that we have the white guards and they seem to make oncoming vehicles give us more room.
Saw this UNhappy camper last week, don't know if the protectors would have helped.

IMG_3019.JPG

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Didn't help us when an agressive tractor driver smacked our mirror off on a country lane in North Norfolk, just added to the expense, I have now fitted a short arm mirror on the O/S.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Had a couple of good wacks with my mirror guard, both times the other mirror come of worse no damage to mine
Only problem I have is my onboard temp gauge is sky high, think the sensor is in the wing mirror and when encased gives of false readings

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
From what I have seen they should be called mirror covers, very expensive to lose and I've seen quite a few at the roadside.

cazzarazza14

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700SE
Exp
March 2015
They do protect it all depends how hard they are hit all in all they are made to make your pride and joy look good
image.jpg

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I managed to contact the wall of my bungalow backing down the narrow drive, slight crack in the Mirror Guard but otherwise no prob's. Worth making them more obvious for others though. This is the one with the crack and Jim's external stickers.

If you do order them note they are different for the short & long arm mirrors.

DSCF8326.JPG

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We've got white ones on ours, and they are quite solidly built. As already stated, people tend to spot them more, particularly cyclists, before we had them, a cyclist rode straight into one of my mirrors and smacked his head!
Only thing is, they do show up the dead flies more! :D

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I have mirror guards cost 120 at show they fit well and the latest one have a foam inner lining not just the pieces of foam.I had a look at
the other types and these look and feel the best made only time will tell (hopefully not) if the mirrors stand up to a hit.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have mirror guards cost 120 at show they fit well and the latest one have a foam inner lining not just the pieces of foam.I had a look at
the other types and these look and feel the best made only time will tell (hopefully not) if the mirrors stand up to a hit.
You can usually get even a long stalk the mirror for that price on ebay. But maybe not two...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have a nasty habit of 'thwaking' the mirrors on my Ducato Based Chausson. I have been tempted to fork out to buy some of mirror protectors such as these

but feel that I might end up 'thwaking' and breaking them instead. At £50 a time it remains expensive and might be even more expensive if the protector does not work and the mirror still gets damaged.

Does anybody have any experience - do they break when you hit something? Do they protect?

johnaerial

Free Member
Mar 4, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner 'Travel Van'
Exp
Since 2002
Original Mirrorguards worth every penny. On a narrow road, had ours whacked by oncoming Fiat Ducato. Mirrorguard survived, mirror body damaged, glass broke but able to squash everything back together and continue journey. Oncoming Ducato mirror completely destroyed. We were both doing about 40mph. Combined 80mph impact sounded like an explosion. Definitely fit proper Mirrorguards and by way of insurance, it is worth carrying a spare glass in case of future damage. We limped on with broken mirror glass.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Original Mirrorguards worth every penny. On a narrow road, had ours whacked by oncoming Fiat Ducato. Mirrorguard survived, mirror body damaged, glass broke but able to squash everything back together and continue journey. Oncoming Ducato mirror completely destroyed. We were both doing about 40mph. Combined 80mph impact sounded like an explosion. Definitely fit proper Mirrorguards and by way of insurance, it is worth carrying a spare glass in case of future damage. We limped on with broken mirror glass.
We had our mirror bashed recently in Croatia and the back casing was cracked and a bit went AWOL, both mirrors partially shattered although the bits stayed 'stuck' on the backing and the indicator lens went into orbit in many pieces! We didn't have mirror guards on but I doubt if it would have made a difference from what you have said as you're suffered the same damage with them on.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
image.jpeg

Unfortunately functionally tested my mirror guards a few times. Scratched but very little damage and no damage to mirror or mirror arm.

johnaerial

Free Member
Mar 4, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner 'Travel Van'
Exp
Since 2002
The point is the opposing vehicle had the same mirror as ours. His shattered into many pieces on to the road. Ours stayed intact by virtue of the Mirrorguard and we were able to continue with a usable mirror.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It is an impossible question to answer. Every impact has its own dynamics none can be the same. For some they will save grief for other maybe not. One thing is for sure you have a better chance with them (y)(y)

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
We fitted the Milenco (cheaper) version after a little contretemps involving a speeding French van on a tiny road. The pair were half the price of one complete Boxer mirror assembly and covered up the damaged housing. Not had a bump since perhaps because they look a little intimidating to oncoming drivers. Yes. They do seem to collect their share of flying insects.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
The point is the opposing vehicle had the same mirror as ours. His shattered into many pieces on to the road. Ours stayed intact by virtue of the Mirrorguard and we were able to continue with a usable mirror.
Exactly the way I see it (y)

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We fitted the non Milenco ones too, I thought at £110 they were very very expensive. They have all the padding inside.. We checked against the Milenco ones and you can see why they cost twice as much as they were much better constructed. I wanted Black to match the van's current door mirror colour, but was advised that bright White was the favoured choice as other people coming would see them much easier. No bumps to date...

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I thought about it but decided that £110 was just too expensive for the chance of the mirror being totally destroyed in a collision, I can get a complete mirror assembly for my van for less than that. Breaking the glass seemed much more likely, so for about £4 each side I bought some self-adhesive replacement mirror glass off Ebay, which if on the road can be stuck over the remains of the broken glass as a temporary fix. These live on top of one of the cupboards in the van, just in case.

Right decision? Don't know, hopefully I'll never break a mirror!

I also put a couple of pieces of white ECE104 reflective tape on the mirror casings to make the mirrors more obvious to oncoming traffic. This tape is seriously good stuff - I've put 2 x 1m long red strips on the back of the van as well - you can see it from a very long way away at night.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Diamon...630434&hash=item1eaf352471:g:A3YAAOSw-YBXGPki

Sue Godbold

Free Member
Jun 28, 2016
Castle Cary
Funster No
MH
Coach built Hi Top
Exp
March 2016
We bought the Millenco ones and very pleased with them. We've had a couple of knocks in France (mirror was hanging out on/by the wires) and we've just pushed them back in. I'm sure the protectors helped.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mirror protectors have certainly helped me in the past (y)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Mine got wacked in France and the whole lot just disappeared in a cloud of Black dust. Ok for avoiding scratches from trees and bushes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back