LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, I need to secure (Screwing) a fiamma garage slide out cycle rack to the garage floor.
Need to buy the correct type of screws to do this job, so what do I look for, how big a screw, is the floor sandwich construction, dont want rack tearing out due to using wrongly used screws. Any tips please.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I assume that they are going to be bolted right through?
Can you measure from the door opening to inside floor & then underneath from base of side to underside of floor in the same place & then subtract one from the other to give thickness? As to whether it is a sandwich construction maybe someone else will know ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure - it may depend on the model. In mine (2003 B630 Star-Line) I am pretty sure the garage floor is solid. But then the single floor in the main body of the motorhome is of a sandwich construction so the garage may be too although it is at a lower level.
I would be inclined to send an email to Peter Hambilton and ask his advice: Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Personally I would cut a piece of waterproof ply to fit inside garage floor and fix to that. Probably use nuts bolts washers and countersink them underneath...dabs of silicon to fix floor.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You might find a vent/drain in the garage floor so that you can see how thick the floor is, my guess would be that it is ply but possibly with a fibreglass skin underneath. Once you know the thickness and what it is some big screws should be OK I cant really see the need to bolt right through.

Martin

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya our hymer boot floor is 40mm thick with alloy checker plate on floor i do not think its solid.... if you drill through..make sure you know where its coming out..not into wires etc also you will need to underseal .. personally i think judgmental has best idea...but that is your choice..good luck

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I always work with MHs with the thought in mind that you get one chance to do it right. Given light construction and often little for conventional fasteners to grab if it doesn't hold first time and stay there the second attempt involves damage repair as well as better fixings. I'd either bolt through using stainless fasteners or as Judgemental suggested use a secondary floor covering (which I would simply glue in place using Sikaflex.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks everyone who replied, time to think it through as always.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I had never heard of this bit of kit so thanks for drawing my attention to it. I have had a look at images on the net and, along the lines of Judgemental's thoughts, it crossed my mind that if you fixed the base onto as big a piece of ply or aluminum checkerplate as you could get in the garage in one sheet creating in effect a second floor, would the bulk of this counterbalance the sliding rack with the bikes on, especially with everything else loaded where you want it onto the new floor?
You would have to bear in mind the extra weight involved but it may eliminate any need for fixing

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had never heard of this bit of kit so thanks for drawing my attention to it. I have had a look at images on the net and, along the lines of Judgemental's thoughts, it crossed my mind that if you fixed the base onto as big a piece of ply or aluminum checkerplate as you could get in the garage in one sheet creating in effect a second floor, would the bulk of this counterbalance the sliding rack with the bikes on, especially with everything else loaded where you want it onto the new floor?
You would have to bear in mind the extra weight involved but it may eliminate any need for fixing
I doubt if it would fully counterbalance the entire weight of the rack + bike(s) but it would go some way towards it. Done neatly and with the correct material a permanent fixing would reinforce the floor & become part of the van.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ours is an N&B so same stable probably similar contruction.

I fixed the rack for the previous scooter through the floor with some 6mm bolts and some penny washers. That didnt move.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would simply bolt through the floor, adding a large sheet of plywood is over engineering and adding a lot of weight .. .. a sheet of 18 mm ply weighs 18kg ..frankly, I can't see any benefit.

The garage floor in mine is composite with plywood on both sides.. previous owner had bolted an L shaped frame to the floor, that looks like it was to anchor a mobility scooter..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not sure why you think you would need 18mm ply! its not self supporting as will be silicon dabbed to floor...

Thats what I would do with a new van. When you come to sell, floor like new, with no warranty issues. Lots of rain and muck gets thrown up under the rear of a motorhome.

Its an easy option..,alloy plate another

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thin play to protect the floor.. fair enough.. but I've never felt that necessary as I've never bought a brand new van.

For mounting a bike rack.. and you would need to fit the rack to the ply before laying.. thin ply with recessed bolt heads ? Likely they would pull through.. and once laid, no way to tighten up.

just my view on how I would do it.. .. so.. whatever the OP feels is best. ..up to them..
I don't consider either of these options ( thin ply or ally plate) practical .. or particularly easy ..

Bolting direct though the floor, I would either use stainless bolts and washers or paint over with underseal or Hamerite ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back