Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
This has probably been asked and answered many times but here goes.
I have seen a very nice older vehicle in Germany (1995) that I would like to buy and bring back home.
Is it easy or fraught with problems?. Are there special difficulties with older vehicles?.
Advice would be appreciated from anyone who has gone this route.

Thanks

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have not been through the process myself but have been told that a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer is the key to speedy registration in UK. If it was made by someone like Hymer you should be able to obtain one from them.
You will also need a UK MOT Certificate with the VIN rather than number plate shown.
Many people have been through the process and will be able to provide better advice than me.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
private or from a dealer?

dealer in theory easier. but private seller only has to take you to tax office to get temp export plates and insurance for vehicle. Whats communications like? (if you have spoken to them)

not sure how it works with COC (if they existed in 95?) to be honest with such and old vehicle....

you need to call DVLA for an import pack anyway. I can talk you through the rest when you know where you stand....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You need to call them re vehicles over 10 years old according to website

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

As for "special difficulties" it will probably mean two journeys. One to see if its as described. Solid, free of damp, mechanically OK. are you competent to do this yourself (as I'm not)

Thats just for starters....

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I believe Certificates of Conformity were introduced way back in 1993.

On a total seperate thing, I have just done a bit of searching after reading a post on Facebook.
Did not know that there are many companies on the net that supply COC 's, not cheap some of them.
I did read that they started in 1998...

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
On a total seperate thing, I have just done a bit of searching after reading a post on Facebook.
Did not know that there are many companies on the net that supply COC 's, not cheap some of them.
I did read that they started in 1998...
I did not appreciate that COC's were available from companies other than the constructor. My Hymer certainly pre-dates commencement of COC's whether it be '93 or '98:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You need to call them re vehicles over 10 years old according to website

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

Spanish used to try that on years back. Especially with motorhomes.
Unfortunately under EU rules if they decline to replate you there isn't anything they , or anyone else ,can do to prevent you running around permanently on foreign plates as long as the vehicle is legal in its country of registration.(y)
Be a a problem with a German one with no number plates though !:LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spanish used to try that on years back. Especially with motorhomes.
Unfortunately under EU rules if they decline to replate you there isn't anything they , or anyone else ,can do to prevent you running around permanently on foreign plates as long as the vehicle is legal in its country of registration.(y)
Be a a problem with a German one with no number plates though !:LOL:
It is ilegal fo a UK resident to drive a vechile in the UK that is registered in another county.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back