Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I am pretty sure the door is leaking somewhere around the jointing strip as after it rains I get rust water running out of the bottom.
I undid the bottom plate and the wood is wet through and rotten on both corners.

My question is, does the jointing strip need to have silicon on it for it to seal?

Anyone else ever stripped one of these doors down and what is the contents.......from what I could see it looks like a wood frame with Polystyrene infill inside an aluminium skin with angle beading.

Would it be good to cut the wood off where it is good and replace with new without having to get a joiner to dovetail it?

Could do with a new rubber seal too.

Can the door be saved and are they a standard size if it has to be replaced?

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Boo

I had the same problem.. I reckon the water got into the frame while driving .. with nowhere to escape it rotted the frame..

I removed the door and literally dismantled it and replaced the wood frame.. took about a day ..

Buy treated timber and plane to size ...good excuse to treat yourself to an electric plane :thumb:

Assemble using waterproof wood glue on the frame joints and silicone to seal the aluminium panels and profile edging back onto the frame..

Job done :thumb:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi Boo

I had the same problem.. I reckon the water got into the frame while driving .. with nowhere to escape it rotted the frame..

I removed the door and literally dismantled it and replaced the wood frame.. took about a day ..

Buy treated timber and plane to size ...good excuse to treat yourself to an electric plane :thumb:

Assemble using waterproof wood glue on the frame joints and silicone to seal the aluminium panels and profile edging back onto the frame..

Job done :thumb:

You replaced all the timbers?
So whats inside?
Did you replace the insulation too?
Don't sites mind you working on ya vans?

Cheers Jim

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You replaced all the timbers?
So whats inside?
Did you replace the insulation too?
Don't sites mind you working on ya vans?

Cheers Jim

Boo

Hi Boo

Yes, the complete door frame .. was easier to do that than patch and join..
The polystyrene wasn't affected by the damp so no need to replace..

Never had a complaint yet.. but use the electric plane when no one is about .. did this job on a Spanish site .. got a few funny looks from bemused Spaniards :roflmto::roflmto:

Other jobs done on sites..

Repaint roof
Service engine etc
Fit Maxview Crank up
Build a folding PC table
Removed seats and upholstery outside to dry after shampooing
Service the toad
Wheels off to check brakes..
Grease chassis
Paint chassis

etc etc .. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.