Android App Or Dedicated Satnav? (1 Viewer)

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hello again. Another question from me!

For context, we're about to set off on a four month trip to Europe, taking in most countries in western Europe (Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, perhaps a couple of others).

I have a Nexus 7 (Android tablet). I don't have a dedicated satnav. Saving money is good.

Should I buy a dedicated satnav?
Or are the Android apps good enough?
Which Android app? CoPilot, TomTom, etc?
If I go with the Android app, can I get camperstops /aires as poi on it like you can load onto some dedicated satnavs?
Do I need a working data connection at all times?

Many thanks
Mark

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Copilot has got us all over Europe for many years for very little outlay.

Use it on a cheap 7" tablet or my phone depending on vehicle. All maps are stored on phone/tablet, about 3GB for all Europe.

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just reading reviews for CoPilot and TomTom apps. Seems loads of people have problems with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Copilot has got us all over Europe for many years for very little outlay.

Use it on a cheap 7" tablet or my phone depending on vehicle. All maps are stored on phone/tablet, about 3GB for all Europe.

Thanks Brian. When last did you update the app? Looks to be a LOT of negative feedback about the latest updates (since around May).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Seems loads of people have problems with them.

Read FUN, loads have problems with anything technical.

I'm doing a map update right now on Copilot ready for Italy later this month.

Another brilliant map app is Maps.Me. Not so much as a navigator but just a free detailed map of anywhere you choose to download.

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Read FUN, loads have problems with anything technical.

Heh, I hear you. Tech wise I should be fine :wink:

It's more that people are complaining the app crashes on opening, or has started taking 10 minutes to get a lock etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Brian. When last did you update the app? Looks to be a LOT of negative feedback about the latest updates (since around May).

Couple of days ago. No experience of update yet. But I've just moved the goal posts and last night ordered a new 5" Android 4 phone to replace my old 3.5" Android 2 one. It will be next week before I go testing.

I hope they've not ruined it because it's served me well for over 10 years starting on a WinCE phone that could just about load a single country at a time. The display/features are everything you would expect from a dedicated SatNav. Anyway, they are to well established not to iron out the bugs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ever since my Dad (a cabinet maker) taught me to use a screwdriver rather than a hammer for screws I have preferred to use a tool designed for the job. General purpose tools are fine for light and occasional use but I will always go for a sat nav over an app by preference.

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I hope they've not ruined it because it's served me well for over 10 years starting on a WinCE phone that could just about load a single country at a time. The display/features are everything you would expect from a dedicated SatNav. Anyway, they are to well established not to iron out the bugs.

Hope so too.

Btw, can you load extra POI on it? Like locations of aires?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hope so too.

I've never done it, pass.

I made one mistake with the Android version, I downloaded the free version as a test, the idiots disable the sound so you get a totally unrealistic experience of using it.

I made a bracket to hold a £50 Argos 7" tablet to clip in the Ducato map clip. The GPS worked fine, despite the over cab bed and the screen size was excellent. I linked the audio to the radio AUX and had high quality sound.

But always, in my humble(ish) opinion have a map and make sure any SatNav is not getting you in trouble.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
My Sat nav (Garmin) totally lost the plot on our first trip to France three weeks ago and if it hadn't been for my iphone we would have been screwed, just the map app that comes with the phone worked great and now I actually prefer it to the Garmin(y)

And yes the Garmin had all of Europe maps fully updated just before we left:rolleyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Yes you will need a data connection at all times for it to work on android.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No, I had a book of maps for France but my co pilot would have been about as useful as the Garmin:doh:

Yes looking at it that way a good SatNav is much cheaper than divorce lawyer, and you can shout "silly cow, not up there" and it does not take offence, "and turn around when possible".

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ever since my Dad (a cabinet maker) taught me to use a screwdriver rather than a hammer for screws I have preferred to use a tool designed for the job. General purpose tools are fine for light and occasional use but I will always go for a sat nav over an app by preference.
Usually true but a dedicated satnav is actually a cheap tablet with restricted software.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Usually true but a dedicated satnav is actually a cheap tablet with restricted software.
I compared the Broken Link Removed a few weeks ago. One of the differences is that the dedicated Garmin hardware is of better quality than the cheap tablet that the Noza Tec runs on. The three car sat navs I've owned have also been better quality hardware than cheap tablets.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have used Copilot on my previous phones with good results, and currently have copilot truck on my android phone. A couple of times over the years I have had to reinstall it after the software froze, and it doesn't work very well on my HTC One (think that's the GPS on the phone though rather than the software). You do not need Internet connection unless you want to use traffic updates etc. I have loaded poi's onto my phone which is easy to do, it uses the Tomtom format poi's

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have used Copilot on my previous phones with good results, and currently have copilot truck on my android phone. A couple of times over the years I have had to reinstall it after the software froze, and it doesn't work very well on my HTC One (think that's the GPS on the phone though rather than the software). You do not need Internet connection unless you want to use traffic updates etc. I have loaded poi's onto my phone which is easy to do, it uses the Tomtom format poi's

Very helpful, thank you.

Reactions: SMB

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm with @GJH .. ..Swiss Army Knife solutions are never as good as the dedicated tool .. I just recently bought a Garmin to replace my old TT One XL .. reason for changing to Garmin was being able to load 1/3 party POIs.. The latest TomToms don't allow that..

also have Co-Pilot EU on my Galaxy S3 phone .. it worked fine, I like it a lot .. until the phone overheated and the screen went black .

On the phone I also have Sygic mapping for use by Campercontact..

none of these require a data connection .. all use downloaded maps..

As a back-up and for route planning I use paper maps.. they don't freeze-up or take you over fields.. (y)

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Update.

Phone arrived. This crazy one.....

Copilot Live flew down the WiFi and just worked.

BUT, so sad, the phone GPS is crap. Some Googling shows modern phones seem to have a GPS problem. However I had in stock a bluetooth GPS I used with Autoroute, so tried that and sorted, Copilot Live performing as usual on a really serious screen.

One incredible phone for peanuts. Fast as a fast thing. Tougher than a tough thing. Go cry iPhone users.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at " here maps" works without a connection and gets us all over Europe , no problem and it's free

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I've got a Nexus 4 and a OnePlus One phone which I could use. I already use both of these (OPO is being repaired) for navigation with Google Maps and they work really well. I do know that some phones (my old Nexus for e.g.) have problems with GPS.

I'm thinking I'll just go the cheaper route and use my OPO (bigger screen) with CoPilot for a start. If I have problems I'll consider buying a dedicated Garmin in Europe somewhere.

Thanks all

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Hope so too.

no problem loading extra POIs in CoPilot - guide here, you an use TT ones as well

im another long term user, going back from when it first came out on android..and have not had any problems. Most of the issues can be related to phones not having enough grunt to run copilot, or the Mobile operator has cocked up the andorid build with their own 'additions'

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
So...why use a satnav when a proper map is the right tool for the job?:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back