Reverse Polarity (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Problem with electric hook up in France. Sometimes when l hook up in a site or Aire in France l end up with the power box in my Accent showing a red light for reverse polarity so no electric. The next night on say another site it works ok but then may fail on another site visit a day or two later. In one of mymany handbooks namely Go Motorhoming (Vicarious Books) they suggest that Reverse polarity is common in France'.....and that 'Reverse polarity will not damage your motorhome electrical systems, appliances etc'. How does that comment sit with fellow and knowledgeable motorhome owners on this site please?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
i would suggest that most devices will be unaffected by reverse polarity however some may be damaged and I believe there is an issue around fusing of devices in that the fuse may be the wrong 'end'

that of course is completely irrelevant if the control unit for your elevtrics turns off the power when it detects a reverse polarity... you can buy or heath robinson up a cross wired adaptor for your electric cable if you need it (as far as I know you simpoly take an ordinary cable and swap the +ve + -ve one end

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I suppose you can use a reverse polarity supply if you really want to but it's not really a good idea.

All you need to do is carry a reverse polarity adapter. Make one up or buy from Broken Link Removed All it is, is a very short hook up cable wired wrong - one end wired correctly, the other with L & N the wrong way round. You should probably carry a socket tester as well just to be able to double check.

$_12.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
well covered subject on here.. a link to one of them
Broken Link Removed..
if you have a reverse supply and its off a continental 2 pin plug remember its just a simple matter of reversing the plug to put it right as long as the box allows that...or carry a short lead which will do the same thing...make it up yourself or they are available at shops..
ta andy

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
What we call Reversed Polarity is normal wiring practice on the Continent as all their switches are double pole so both + and - are cut when switched off whereas UK switches are only single pole.
If your MH is continental built it will be fitted with double pole switches.
If UK built it will have single pole switch.
Reversed Polarity is only dangerous to people if they poke around inside electrical appliances without unplugging them.
It will not damage your MH.
Just make sure your RCD trips when it should and forget RP.

More important is to use a circuit tester to check for an earth but once again, as long as your RCD trips, you are safe.

There are cables that will switch RP but, in my opinion, not worth the hassle.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but just ask how many people have been shocked, let alone killed, by RP - the same number as have been gassed. :)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Had a problem on a site in France a couple of weeks ago.I had a shock off my tow bar!Guy next to me did a test and found not only was the socket reverse polarity but there was no earth!!I unplugged my lead and didn't use the electric.We were moving the next day anyway.The site owner said there was no problem!!Not sure what caused the shock but had no problems the rest of our holiday.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Your Hymer will have one. It is likely to be quite near to the 230V input socket. My trip box is in the base of the wardrobe where the Truma is located. It looks like a white rectangular box with a twin-ganged black switch near the top. It is on when in the up position. It is this switch that you normally use to switch on the 230V input once you have plugged in the EHU lead.
Have a look in your Hymer manual for full details. By the way, this kind of trip, fitted by Hymer in 2003 does not have a test button on it.

p.s. I don't worry about reverse polarity, but lack of a good earth on a hook-up point is definitely a reason not to use it.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Problem with electric hook up in France. Sometimes when l hook up in a site or Aire in France l end up with the power box in my Accent showing a red light for reverse polarity so no electric. The next night on say another site it works ok but then may fail on another site visit a day or two later. In one of mymany handbooks namely Go Motorhoming (Vicarious Books) they suggest that Reverse polarity is common in France'.....and that 'Reverse polarity will not damage your motorhome electrical systems, appliances etc'. How does that comment sit with fellow and knowledgeable motorhome owners on this site please?
The light will also come on if there is no earth mine did today when I plugged in using a extention , so tryed another and was ok. So looked in the plug and the earth wire had come out.
connect it up all was well.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Reverse polarity is dangerous, firstly the fuse is no longer on the phase conductor along with various other technical reason causing a shock hazard so needs to be addressed
AC polarity isn't right just because it works
Polarity in AC circuits doesn't matter, until it does

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks JeanLuc, another superb and prompt reply, many thanks (y)
I`ve just been and had a look and sure enough it`s there in the same place as yours, but I`d never noticed it, or used it ! Should I be using it when connecting / disconnecting EHU ?
PS I read your manual on repairs to Thetford cassette and decided to order a new one ! All that business of putting your hand inside and fumbling around feeling for things to unfasten prompted me to get the credit card out and keep my mits clean and ready of action elsewhere !

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Your Hymer will have one. It is likely to be quite near to the 230V input socket. My trip box is in the base of the wardrobe where the Truma is located. It looks like a white rectangular box with a twin-ganged black switch near the top. It is on when in the up position. It is this switch that you normally use to switch on the 230V input once you have plugged in the EHU lead.
Have a look in your Hymer manual for full details. By the way, this kind of trip, fitted by Hymer in 2003 does not have a test button on it.

p.s. I don't worry about reverse polarity, but lack of a good earth on a hook-up point is definitely a reason not to use it.
My 2005 B584 (RHD) definitely did not have an RCD. It had two ganged MCBs: one in the Live & one in the Neutral. I fitted a new box with RCD & two MCBs & divided the various supplies between the new RCBs. The certain way to spot an RCD is that, apart from having a test button, it must also have an earth connection.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My 2005 B584 (RHD) definitely did not have an RCD. It had two ganged MCBs: one in the Live & one in the Neutral. I fitted a new box with RCD & two MCBs & divided the various supplies between the new RCBs. The certain way to spot an RCD is that, apart from having a test button, it must also have an earth connection.
I stand corrected. I was referring to the twin-ganged item that is fitted by Hymer.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not all RCD's have a functional earth

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So is that different to an RCD ?
Presumably its adequate for what's required to be safe.
I will get an earthing / polarity tester before venturing across the water.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The certain way to spot an RCD is that, apart from having a test button, it must also have an earth connection.

That is not correct. Only certain brands have a reference earth connection. It certainly isn't required to work or a way to spot them.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The white box to which I referred earlier is the mains cut-off trip switch. Here is the relevant reference from the handbook:

View attachment 68301

Possibly they've used the wrong stock photo in the hand book but that isn't an RCD.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Polarity in AC circuits doesn't matter, until it does

That about covers it (y)

Everything will still work including protective devices. You might not even know about it until you have a problem.

The biggest danger is if you have single pole protective devices. If the polarity is wrong and they operate they will break the neutral so anything connected to the circuit will stop working but it won't be isolated. All the live parts will still be live.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Possibly they've used the wrong stock photo in the hand book but that isn't an RCD.
No - that is the correct picture and matches what is in the Hymer. I now know that it is not a RCD but a MCB - see my previous post.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya i always use a polarity tester where ever we are and have a series of leads to sort it out...the tester i have is an audible one saves running around to check if its right

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Geebee - That's Louis. Looks can be deceptive, he's got a very strong scavenging instinct and I dare not let him off lead when around picnicers ! One sniff of a ham sandwich and recall, no chance !
Yes he is cute though.
Chris

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Now I'm just confused :eek::eek::eek:
Quite a lot of RCD's don't have functional earth lead (usually white in colour not yellow/green) the RCD is looking for an imbalance between phase conductors (live & neutral)
The thing to look for, as stated, is a test button (this simulates a fault condition)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back