Grey waste smell (2 Viewers)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Anyone got any tips on elliminating grey waste tank smell.

Do shower trays have waste traps fitted? The reason I am asking is that after we arrive on site the shower/loo room is a bit niffy. I am sure it's not the loo causing the smell but the grey waste tank. I always empty as much as I can but due to the way the van may be leaning it is not always possible to drain completely. It doesn't smell when setting off so I am assuming whats in there once agitated by the motion causes the smell.

Has anyone tried the Thetford tank freshner, or is it just disinfectant?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Dane

We use BioMagic to get rid of nasty grey tank smells. We empty the grey tank and then pour in some BioMagic with a few litres of water. We then take the van for a run to let the solution slosh about a bit. We leave it overnight and then drain down again the next morning. When empty we leave our waste tank drain tap open to let air circulate.
Hope this helps

Brisey

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
HI Dane & Hazel,

You have smelly waste do you,

We have used that tank refresher, I think it is more of a deodoriser, but it stops the smell. We sometime but it in the tank and fill it up and take if the a drive down the road, which agitates it, and left it in for a couple of days.

In the past whilst it was very hot we did use a mild washing bleach and did the same. I know it not environment friendly, but the smell wasnt either.

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
In most American RV's equipped with all-weather protection covers fitted over their rooflights, it is possible to safely travel with the roof lights wide open and that in itself can cause a problem whereby nasty smells are drawn back into the RV from the wind turbulence surrounding the 'loo' tank breather pipes.

Not quite the same in a European motorhome - but we found that the easiest way to counteract the nasty 'niffs' was simply to leave the bowl or basin 'plug' in all the time, especially when travelling. On arrival you put a couple of pints of fresh water into the bowl or basin BEFORE you remove the plug - then when you do remove the plug, the fresh water replaces that water trapped in the 'u' bend and you don't get the nasty smell.

Alternatively, you can go to the nearest caravan dealers and pay a huge amount of money for a bottle of perfumed water to replace the 'plug'.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we are on camp sites with showers/washing up sinks we don't "generate" very much grey waste. At rallies/ECWS events where we use onboard facilities much more I empty the grey tank daily. We always try to make sure we don't let bits of food go down the waste pipe.

Either way after we get back home I use Buster Kitchen Sink Fresh down all three waste pipes (sink, washbasin & shower). Started using it after seeing a test report in a magazine. Could probably save a bit by using a generic oxy type cleaner but it doesn't cost all that much.

Graham

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
SWMBO, drinks black tea so we always use a mixture of bleach & washing up liquid which I assume kills all things in the tank :ROFLMAO:I also travel with a little amount of water/mixed pink stuff (we carry a squirt y bottle full because it is a leccy flush straight from the tank)in the loo bowl which should stop any nasty niffs coming from the loo.
Since showers are at the lowest point there are few and far between that can get traps fitted.
terry

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Keep the plugs in the shower tray and sink, it works every time!

Doug...

I agree with doug used to have this problem a lot at one time, but found putting in plugs cured the problem. It seems OK when on site only a problem when on the move.

Dave:thumb:

Last edited:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Yes we also travel with our shower plugs screwed in. I may also get one of those kitchen plug hole seive/drainer thingy be bob also.

Regards Pat

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cheapest and best way is to mix up some washing powder, Bold, Daz etc, and pour it down the shower tray and let it slosh about or sprinkle some in the tray when you have a shower.

Just do it once a week and it will never smell again.

Peter

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Waste food particles in the waste tank cause smells,and as waste tanks seldom empty completely you will always have a potential for smells and any bleach ,washing powder, or soap products mixed with water and allowed to slosh around in the tank as you drive will help to eliminate the smells, has any one tried a drop of loo blue I wonder.When I park my Hymer after a drive I usually pour a drop of water into each plug hole as driving can cause the tiny ammount of water used as the seal in the plug holes to dissapear ,so remaking the seal again stops any smell coming through.:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we had this problem for a long time. it only happens to us when driving with water in the tank.
i always try to empty the tank when leaving site which seems help but you cant always do it.
then i had a think........
you put thetford blue (formaldahyde) in your toilet tank and it breaks down everything so i put a couple of cupfuls in the grey tank.......my thinking is the smell comes from the bactria caused by little bits of waste food and grease that inevitably go down the plughole and fester in the tank.

1/2 ltr of blue and half a tank of water.....go for a run, leave a couple of days and drain.

you wont beleive the crap that comes out.

i'll do this once a year and see what happens over time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Waste food particles in the waste tank cause smells,and as waste tanks seldom empty completely you will always have a potential for smells and any bleach ,washing powder, or soap products mixed with water and allowed to slosh around in the tank as you drive will help to eliminate the smells, has any one tried a drop of loo blue I wonder.When I park my Hymer after a drive I usually pour a drop of water into each plug hole as driving can cause the tiny ammount of water used as the seal in the plug holes to dissapear ,so remaking the seal again stops any smell coming through.:thumb::thumb:

you beat me to it Vindiboy ! see post above.:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We dont have an american RV, but when i built my motorhome i used anti vac bottle traps under the sinks and shower, i rekon that's whats happening with the OP's stinky shower, as they drive along the water in the trap gets sucked out, leaving the trap drym and the smells free to rise.

if you can get to the shower trap, and assuming it's a houshould sized one, you could replace it with an anti vac trap, they only cost a few quid more than a standard one at a builders merchants.

for the smells, i swear by TST granuals, i've given up on using thetford blue in my toilet, always stinky after a few days, a few granuals of TST down the pan, and the bog is smell free for at least a week (havent tested longer as that's the absolutel longest we go between emptying it... is a standard thetford cassette bog)

every so often i'll dose the grey tank with TST, and it seems to take the smells away as soon as it hits the tank, great stuff,
starspangledspanner sells it for a good price, and that's where i get mine from now, my parents brought me some back from america years ago, and i really missed it when i used it all up, so glad i found a seller of it, (did find it in a motorhome shop once, for 3 times more than i'd ever pay for it)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
BOLD or DAZ Biological every time, cheap and it works! Cupfull down the sink or shower tray, or wash your knickers in the sink with it! Double bubble!:thumb:

Peter

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
We always use a little plastic thing that stops any bits of food going down the sink .But i use Milton in the fresh water tanks and then enpty into the waste tank and let it sit there for a couple of days and we've had no problems. Betty:thumb:

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
I know this probably breaches every health and safety rule and COSHH regulation and is no doubt environmentaly unfriendly, but I have in the past used a solution of caustic soda and driven the vehicle to slosh the solution around a bit, amazing the amount of muck that drained out afterwards. The caustic helps to disolve grease which tends to build up over a period of time and which is not touched by some cleaning agents, but take care when using caustic and rinse off stainless steel surfaces after pouring down the plug and dispose of safely down the drain, and always follow the instructions on the bottle. Works for me.
John.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I agree with doug used to have this problem a lot at one time, but found putting in plugs cured the problem. It seems OK when on site only a problem when on the move.

Dave:thumb:

We have a tip-up basin in the toilet room so there is no plug to put in the hole - so that is not a solution for us.

I have tried the pink toilet top tank fluid and it seemed to work. The trouble is that the smell only appears irregularly and we cannot find out why.

We are in the process of fitting a waste trap to the toilet room sink.

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Smell

I use the blue stuff you stick in the loo. You only need a small amount and it kills all known odours.:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As Peter from Johns Cross said a handful of washing powder washed down the plug hole, and I put a small amount of bleach & hot water.

I do this as we leave and let it slosh about on the way home. When you get home drop it into the drain (same as your washing machine) & rinse with clean water. I have done this with my motor homes & don't get any smells.

I also travel with the valve open which gives the air in the tank a chance to get blown out as you travel. Leave the plugs out though, as the air forced into the motor home as it goes along will force some air through the tank.

I have on occasions been near the drive over dump and the smells that come from some vans have to been seen, or smelled, to be believed. :Eeek: If your van is not new you have inherited one of these smelly tanks. :cry:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Avoid tipping any dregs of tea or coffee with milk in - we keep a 1 Pint Plastic milk bottle by sink and put dregs in that. Milk eventually goes off even in water and also sticks to insides of a plastic tank, eventually it will cause a stink especially in warm weather.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Been using the tips above, a bit of bio washing powder in the tank and leave the plugs in to stop any smells being drawn in when travelling. It works a treat.:thumb:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I use a cup of soda crystals ( cheaper than chips ) washed down with hot water; drive around for a while preferably, then empty. Doesn't stink like 'Bold' ugh.

Harvey

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
Hi dane

We keep a bottle of cheap dilutable orange squash in the van and just pour some down the sink along with a drop of water it kills any smells seems to last as well
hope this helps

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
We always leave the tank open and use a wastemaster, before travelling my misses pour some bleach and water in the tank and lets in swill around while we are travelling.

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Milton Sterilizer

Use it for the Grand kids bottles, and a drop in warm water put down each waste pipe does the job.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
BOLD or DAZ Biological every time, cheap and it works! Cupfull down the sink or shower tray, or wash your knickers in the sink with it! Double bubble!:thumb:

Peter

I have just been told off for emptying my Wonder Wash down an outside drain rather than into our watse tank :Sad: Just remembered though that I Use an Eco, clean, green substance to wash the clothes with so it would probably not work anyway!!!:Smile: Will buy some enviromentally harsh stuff tomorrow as we are a bit whiffy in some respects. Our clothes are pretty clean as my Mother always said the rinsing is the most important part of washing. Anyway Lidl's finest bio is on my list.:roflmto: Jane

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back